INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [19.0.147] Problem with audio streams mixed at 6.1  (Read 899 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
[19.0.147] Problem with audio streams mixed at 6.1
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:30:06 am »

So I've recently opted not to use any of the options in DSP Studio and play everything as-is, letting my A/V receiver handle any kind of volume levelling etc. Everything seems to work fine, until I try to play something mixed at 6.1, during which video and audio will play, but certain aspects of the sound will be lost, depending on the mix. The most obvious problem is dialogue, which comes in very faint, but it does also affect other elements, such as sound effects. It's as if MC is choosing not to output half of the content.

I don't really understand how this can be in a no-DSP setup. It actually happened a few months ago, when trying to watch the imported release of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. At the time, I WAS using some of the DSP settings, and assumed that the problem was in my configuration. I don't really remember how I fixed it, but I can say that, right now, I cannot seem to get the content to play correctly unless I enable Output Format (no output encoding, 7.1 channels, no upmixing or downmixing). Now the same thing is happening when I play the blu-ray extended version of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring: music is reasonably audible, but dialogue is nearly impossible to hear.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: [19.0.147] Problem with audio streams mixed at 6.1
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:23:24 am »

Sadly many HDMI setups have problems when dealing with 6.1 content, since there is two valid ways to organize the 6.1 channels, and I'm not aware that its strictly specified somewhere which to use..
Supposedly HDMI can carry information about the speaker assignment, but as it looks the HDMI output on graphics cards doesn't seem to set it.

I'll try to double check our setup and see if I spot something wrong.
Might take a couple days tho.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up