INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network prob with all V8 releases  (Read 1017 times)

WeeHappyPixie

Network prob with all V8 releases
« on: February 11, 2002, 10:26:26 pm »

Hi Team,

I have had one major problem with ALL version 8 releases running on Windows XP Pro (legal copy before anyone asks ).

The problem is that it will not connect to the update server correctly. When auto update or I do a manual update package installer loads, checks for updates and says YES there are updates. I highlight them and tell it to download them and thats where the problem start, it just sits there saying connecting and then after about 2 mins says program not responding and I have to end task it.

If I try to use CDDB I also get an error saying unable to connect. It will also not connect to download cover art.

I uninstalled v8 (every release has done this) and then cleared out the registry entries for it and then after a reboot reinstalled and the same happens. If I uninstall and go back to version 7.2 everything works.

The machine is setup with admin rights. I tried disabling the Windows XP firewall to no affect so I then tried to see what ip address there connecting to so using System Suite's 4 firewall and allowing Media Jukebox connectivity it is trying to connect to ip address 0.0.0.0 port 0 same goes for package installer and CDDB.

This is really weird, especially CDDB since my Creative Playcenter for my DAP (Nomad) Jukebox uses CDDB and that works.

Please help as I have very little hair left as it is without me pulling more out.

John

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
RE:Network prob with all V8 releases
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 01:06:42 am »

Weeunhappy-near-bald-pixie
There are a few threads on this floating about.
Try the one called "Failed to connect to server".
I don't know much about it (technostuff) but it is related to firewall and proxy authentication & penetrability.
Gateley is all over it like a rottweiler - solution is likely imminent. (he said hopefully)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2002, 04:18:16 am »

It's the proxy server.  Gateley thinks he knows what the problem is now.  Is yours from Microsoft?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

WeeHappyPixie

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2002, 07:04:49 am »

I dont use a proxy server Jim. Got direct connection to net.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2002, 07:15:42 am »

A few random thoughts.  

Some ISP's don't allow inbound connections on some ports.  They do this to prevent people from running servers.

What kind of an Internet connection is it?

I have seen problems with Windows (not XP) getting confused about which network interface it should use.  Deleting the dialup networking has solved this one for me.

Check your IE proxy server setting.  I know.  I know.  Couldn't be that.

We have also seen problems with firewalls that said they were passing packets but were not.  Or inactive when they were not.  Disabling the firewall did not work.  Uninstalling did.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

gateley

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2002, 07:22:20 am »

Hi WeeHappyPixie,

This is strange. Would you be willing to try a debugging version for me? If so, send me an email to gateley@jriver.com and I'll send it to you.

Do you use Internet Explorer? If not, would you check it's proxy settings?

j

WeeHappyPixie

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2002, 07:23:39 am »

Jim,

I connect to the net via BT Internet dial up 56k V90. No firewalls (disables at present). IE proxy set to direct connection. No proxy server in use.

John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up