INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burnt tweeter and a word of caution  (Read 2369 times)

ronkupper

• Recent member
Burnt tweeter and a word of caution
« on: July 04, 2014, 07:14:17 am »

Hi Guys,

I thought of sharing this for reference and maybe help someone else avoid the same experience.

The XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro arrived yesterday and I was eager to put my Dirac Live to use.
So I fired up Dirac's Calibration Tool and on the "Output & Levels" screen I pressed play on the first channel.

What a mistake... The result was punishing and hurtful to my ears and in the two seconds it took me to hit the stop button (I was standing with the keyboard in my hands) I could hear the treble stop coming out of the speaker.

You see, as I am using JRiver's "Internal Volume" I set my receiver's volume to 0dB as recommended by JRiver to allow for maximum dynamic range.
Only that Dirac Live does not have a "Volume Protection" feature like JRiver :(.

The tweeter was toast out of... well out of my own silliness. I should have known better.

Luckily the components on the speakers are easy to replace, just 4 screws and two pins (no need to open the cabinet):

I now have to wait the weekend (here in Israel it starts at Friday) to see if they'll charge me for the tweeter and (more importantly) if they have it in stock or will I have to wait without my speakers  :o

I hope nothing else is damaged...  :-\

Cheers :)
Ron
HTPC (Origen ae) | Fronts: Quadral Platinum M50 | Sub: JL Audio E112 | Center: Quadral Platinum M10 Base | Surrounds: Morel SP2 | Power: Emotiva XPA-5 | Pro: Emotiva UMC-200 | TV: Panasonic P50S60 | XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro | Dirac Live Full

Hotzenplotz

• Recent member
Re: Burnt tweeter and a word of caution
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:19:37 pm »

Good luck, Ron !!

Always be very careful when using any test signals.
The tweeter is almost always the first being prone to failure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up