INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs Burned to a CD Don't Show Up When Played on a CD or DVD-ROM Drive  (Read 898 times)

ddd831

I just got through burning a CD from a playlist I created using MJ Plus ver. 7.2.280.  The playlist has 118 mp3 files (songs).  On the CD burning screen (CD Writer) I selected Data CD and checked the Create Folders box because I have songs from 2 artists in the playlist with several albums by each artist and wanted to keep the songs organized by artist and album.

MJ finished burning the CD normally with no error messages and said the CD was successfully created and ejected the CD.

But when putting the CD in the DVD-ROM drive on my PC, some of the songs do not appear in the folders created and do not play when playing back the CD.  It's as if they simply didn't get recorded.  The same thing happens on my PC at work on its CD-ROM drive.

At first I thought it was a problem in the burning process, that some songs were getting skipped.  But when I put the CD in my Panasonic DVD player which can play MP3-encoded CDs it recognizes all 118 tracks and plays them w/o problem!  This is the second CD of this playlist I've burned with the same results both times.

Does anyone have any idea why my PCs' CD and DVD-ROM drives won't recognize all the files?  It's the same whether I display the folders in MJ or in Windows Explorer.  I'm running Win NT on my work PC and Win XP Home Edition on my home PC.

Thanks for any info you might have!

konamike

RE:Songs Burned on CD Don't Show Up on a CD or DVD-ROM Drive
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2002, 12:05:29 pm »

Among different models and manufacturers, CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives can vary in their ability to read CD-Rs and CD-RWs. I've had some problems getting older model CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives to read CD-RW (and to a lesser extent, CD-R) discs. Your Panasonic DVD player sounds like one of the newer models since it says it's able to playback MP3 files and, as you'd expect, it plays the CD you burned. My guess is your DVD-ROM drive and the CD-ROM drive at work are to blame for their inability to read the same CD in its entirety.

Have you tried using CD-R and CD-RW media from different manufacturers (e.g., Memorex, Maxell, Fuji)? Some of the discount brands can be a challenge for some drives to read.

ddd831

RE:Songs Burned to a CD Don't Show Up When Played on a CD or DVD-ROM Drive
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2002, 06:23:22 pm »

Konamike,  Thanks for the post.  You may be right that the drives are at fault here.  I would believe that about the CD-ROM drive at work since it's at least 3 years old but I would have thought my DVD-ROM drive wouldn't have had any problems since I got my PC (Compaq laptop) in November and is one of Compaq's newest models.

But I will try another brand of CD-R to see if I get any better results.  Thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up