INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't burn discs - again [Solved]  (Read 1729 times)

jagdriver

• World Citizen
Can't burn discs - again [Solved]
« on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:10 pm »

[I'm reposting because updates to my earlier query have been ignored all day.]

I'm running Windows 8.1 (all updates), although I ran into this same problem with MC18 on my old Vista laptop.

That is, I cannot burn a collection of MP3s to a DVD-R disc, regardless of manufacturer (I've tried both Imation and Memorex). The optical drive is a Hitachi (I think), model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GU60N; it came with my ASUS laptop.

Per Matt's earlier suggestion, I updated to .143 and all was well... for a few days. Then I updated to .146 and now it doesn't work again. Please see the attched PNG.

What gives?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't burn discs - again
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:54:20 pm »

Do you have any other optical disc burning applications or utilities installed on the system?  Especially "resident" utilities (like the horrible packet writing DLA packages, for example)?

Also, can you burn discs successfully (right at the same time that MC fails) with the same drive in another application?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:11:23 pm »

Please reread my original post.

Disc burning did not work with an earlier rev., then worked fine when I upgraded to .143 per Matt. Now it's broken again in .146.

Tonight I upgraded to .149 and it's still broken.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:13:11 am »

Your drive shows up fine in windows explorer?  It should look something like this:

As Glynor suggested, does it work fine to burn from other programs?  I tested burning on my machine and everything worked smoothly.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

jagdriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 06:15:32 pm »

Problem solved. It had nothing to do with MC (as you probably suspected). But it was strange that it worked with .143 and then not a subsequent update.

Anyway,  it turned out that I had to visit the BIOS (AMI) and choose a setting for "Optimize BIOS Settings", then save and reboot. Since I've never changed any BIOS cfg on this relatively new ASUS laptop (running 64-bit Win 8.1), my only guess is that perhaps a M$ update changed something from the original factory BIOS settings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up