INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where's the ideal/best place to store your media files?  (Read 1165 times)

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
Where's the ideal/best place to store your media files?
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:56:07 am »

My music server PC is currently an ASUS Vivo PC with an i5 processor and I updated the internal drive to a 1TB SSD.  I have begun to wonder where's the ideal place to store the music files themselves.  I have a QNAP NAS where the files are currently installed and am wondering if the music server PC itself would be better.  Six-one half-dozen the other or is there a more preferable location irrespective of the storage space?

Thanks for your thoughts!

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Where's the ideal/best place to store your media files?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 12:08:39 pm »

my thoughts are that it's better on the internal PC, as there is less in the chain to go wrong and it will always be faster than on a server/NAS

i used to have a NAS set up, i never had any issue with it but in the end for my personal uses i sold off the NAS and run 6 x 4Tb internals, plus a litany of external drive backups.  i'm happier, but only because it fits my use case better.  others prefer the NAS/other route and it fits their use case better....

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 12:24:12 pm »

A NAS seems like a good solution if you have a number of devices in your home which can stream directly from it, and you don't want to leave a PC running 24/7

If you always have the PC on when playing back media, or leave the PC on 24/7, the NAS seems unnecessary in my opinion.

A NAS is a nice thing to have for a backup device though, as you can just schedule backups to happen overnight and it's completely isolated from the PC itself.

Sky King

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:55:41 pm »

Thanks for you thoughts everyone.  The ASUS Vivo PC is a very low power device, especially with the SSD, and the little fan runs at low speed and makes no noticeable noise so I think I will consider transitioning to the little PC with backups to the NAS to run on a schedule.
Pages: [1]   Go Up