INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving all media to new larger drive - pitfalls to watch out for?  (Read 2202 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Needed to install a new 4TB drive in the server to house the music files as the old 2TB is getting close to being full.

My concerns revolve around file/folder dates etc when physically moving the files from one drive to the other - and how MC will interpret these when the MC instances are pointed to the new share.

Here's my plan:

1. Leaving existing drive intact - copy existing folder structure from 2TB to 4TB drive
2. Drop existing share on server (\\SERVER\Music) that currently points to 2TB share
3. Create new share on server (\\SERVER\Music) pointing to new 4TB drive
4. All instances of MC "should" fire back up and not know that anything has changed.

Concerns:

1. When MC reconnects and "reads" the folder/file structure on the new share - is it going to have a fit and attempt to re-read/re-sort/re-jog/re-analyze everything - simply because it sees new Created dates on the folders and/or files?

The last thing I want is for MC to make any attempt to resort or rescan anything - simply because it thinks "new" stuff is now in the library based upon file/folder dates.

Any advice on how to do this better?

Appreciate any comments from the field.

Cheers!

VP

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: Moving all media to new larger drive - pitfalls to watch out for?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:36:10 am »

you have a few options

1. use JRiver to move the files (rename, move, copy).  this only works good if you have no other files in the original folders other than music files (i.e. no cue, log, artwork, etc).  if you do this, use "copy and update database".  if there is other files in the folders, you can still use this tool and all the media files will be moved...if you keep the folder structure the exact same, you can then just do a normal copy/paste in windows and move the other files which will populate the original folders

**JRiver - once again a plea, to move all of the other files with this tool.  many of the other file management programs do this, we all know it's possible...**

2. (what i use) turn off auto-import in JRiver (i always do for paranoia issues LOL), copy the files to the new drive, KEEP THE ORIGINAL FOLDER STRUCTURE (don't rename anything yet), then in JRiver select all the files and choose "update database to point to new location" and simply use the "find and replace" checkbox to change the drive letter.  I've done this multiple times and there is no rescanning or anything as long as the new folder structure is the exact same, just the drive letter change. 

3.  there is probably even more ways to do this, but i use 2. somewhat frequently and never have issues

if you have a lot of files, do yourself a favor and download Teracopy.  it's free, much faster than windows copy, and has a lot of options (like verifying the file move, pausing the copy if you want to use your computer for something, etc.).  and always copy, never cut/paste....one never can be too careful with their precious media files :)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 12:57:46 pm »

you have a few options

1. use JRiver to move the files (rename, move, copy).  this only works good if you have no other files in the original folders other than music files (i.e. no cue, log, artwork, etc).  if you do this, use "copy and update database".  if there is other files in the folders, you can still use this tool and all the media files will be moved...if you keep the folder structure the exact same, you can then just do a normal copy/paste in windows and move the other files which will populate the original folders

Well - I only store FLAC files in the music share - there are no other file types.

However - very important to note that we do not use drive letters at all here. I have a slightly complicated setup where our 4 main clients (including the HTPC) access MC using Media Server - and  my own personal workstation ("edit" station) has it's own standalone library. Both layouts use a direct UNC path to the music files (\\SERVER\MUSIC) - so using the Rename, Move copy tool cannot work - since I do not believe I can have two "\\SERVER\Music" shares going at the same via Windows Server 2008 R2.

I am certain I will need to do the copy work behind the scenes first...then turn off all instances of MC...remove the the old (\\SERVER\MUSIC) share from the server and then recreate it against - this time pointing to new drive...and then fire up MC and see what happens.

I will be copying the identical file/folder structure from one drive to the other.

Also - we are talking 2TB of files - MC would be grinding away for hours on that. I would feel better using more dedicated file tools to perform the actual transfer from drive to drive. I need some peace of mind while the transfer is happening like checking for valid copy etc etc.

2. (what i use) turn off auto-import in JRiver (i always do for paranoia issues LOL), copy the files to the new drive, KEEP THE ORIGINAL FOLDER STRUCTURE (don't rename anything yet), then in JRiver select all the files and choose "update database to point to new location" and simply use the "find and replace" checkbox to change the drive letter.  I've done this multiple times and there is no rescanning or anything as long as the new folder structure is the exact same, just the drive letter change. 

As above - no drive letters to charge or update to - so if I drop the old share and recreate it again on the new drive - as far as MC is concerned - it "should" act like nothing has happened. It saw the files on the old drive at UNC path \\SERVER\Music one minute and sees them again at \\SERVER\Music on the new drive.

If you have done this multiple time with no rescanning - I am hoping it's this easy. Logically - it should be :)

VP

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »

Well...that's a pretty specific use case!

I have used 2. many times without issue, and it would seem to me that you're simply doing a path change, it shouldn't matter whether it's a drive letter or not

I don't suspect any issues but hopefully someone has had your exact problem and may know for sure, never know if there's a strange behaviour.  Good luck!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 02:31:54 pm »

I'd use drive imaging software to migrate to a new, larger drive.  I strongly recommend Macrium Reflect.  It would be a TON faster, and more reliable, than copying via any other means.

They have a free version that can probably do drive clones.  I don't know for sure, though, as I'm a happy customer using their Pro version.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »

I'd use drive imaging software to migrate to a new, larger drive.  I strongly recommend Macrium Reflect.  It would be a TON faster, and more reliable, than copying via any other means.

They have a free version that can probably do drive clones.  I don't know for sure, though, as I'm a happy customer using their Pro version.

I love Reflect! Have been a customer for a long long time.

But alas - I do not have a server version of the software. The standard desktop versions cannot be installed to a Windows 2008 Server...

Actually - I have started the work now and the candidate for the job ended up being Robocopy - unbelievable fast AND copies all file/folder timestamps and attributes.

I had never ever tried this tool - but I sure have a new appreciation for it now.

Cheers,

VP

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 04:31:07 pm »

But alas - I do not have a server version of the software. The standard desktop versions cannot be installed to a Windows 2008 Server...

Cool.  Glad Robocopy will get it sorted for you.  I use SyncBack for those kinds of jobs (it is similar to Robocopy, which I haven't used personally, but have heard about a bunch).  Just make sure file ownership doesn't burn you.  It can, if you aren't careful and you use multiple accounts.

By the way, though, the Server limitation on Macrium isn't a big deal.  Just pull the drive and image it on a different PC.  That's how I'd go.  It'll still be a ton faster to do a block-level-clone than copies at the filesystem level like Robocopy.

But, whatever works.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 08:24:36 am »

Cool.  Glad Robocopy will get it sorted for you.  I use SyncBack for those kinds of jobs (it is similar to Robocopy, which I haven't used personally, but have heard about a bunch).  Just make sure file ownership doesn't burn you.  It can, if you aren't careful and you use multiple accounts.

Love SyncBack as well. Another high quality backup tool - we use this for all our daily backups to collect everything on the server before we send it up to Crashplan.

And thanks for the tips on file ownership etc - that's one of the very powerful benefits to Robocopy - it handles all the file attributes, timestamps and espeically the NTFS security settings perfectly. I was able to create an identical mirror of our active share using this tool.

By the way, though, the Server limitation on Macrium isn't a big deal.  Just pull the drive and image it on a different PC.

Thought about that - until I realized I would need yet another 2T drive to store the image :).

I let Robocopy run into the night and it copied our 65K file library in less than 4 hours - perfectly. After finally trying this little tool - I will be adding it to my main tool kit. It does things that no other tools I have come across can do (especially in the realm of file security data) . And it does it very fast :)

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up