INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External player for certain Audio Files  (Read 1243 times)

soundgals

• Recent member
External player for certain Audio Files
« on: July 21, 2014, 11:24:02 am »

Hi,

Mostly I want to use J River for Media Playback and definitely for its Library Management and Video playback features, which are terrific.

For certain Audio Files though, I want to experiment with external players. I know I can specify an external player in Options -> Filetypes for any particular file type and enter the patch to that player. The external player is then launched when I click on a file of that type; but I don't see how to send a complete album or playlist to the external player and have it play the entire album or playlist.

The furthest I've got is to specify "[Filename]" in the arguments field. This then causes the first file of an album or playlist to be played by the external player.

Can someone please advise which combination of arguments needs to be used to achieve full album or playlist playback of an audio file type by an external player?

Thanks,

geoff

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: External player for certain Audio Files
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 12:27:30 pm »

I don't know how to do this.  I'm not sure it is possible.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

soundgals

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 12:41:48 pm »

Thanks for the fast response Matt.

So support for sending a file type to an external player is really only designed for one file at a time?

I can see how this would work out for movies and that seems to be the most common use of external players. For audio though, we usually do want to play more than one file at a time, of course.

Obviously I wouldn't expect this to be a high priority. Just thought there might be some way of doing it using the expression language.

soundgals

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:13 am »

I think I see a possible way this could work.

If I right click on an album or a selected bunch of files I can choose the "send too" command and have them sent to an external player.

Why couldn't the Options -> File Types -> incorporate this same feature, so that whenever the play button link is hit on an album, playlist or a bunch of selected files those files could be sent to the designated external player of choice?

In other words if it works in one part of JR why couldn't it be made to work in another, where the external player for a file type is set?

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 11:09:27 am »

I think some macro that uses the "send to" function would be a nice addition.  For me, I would use it for books (books that you read), that I currently send to Libre.

What about an MC-only tag that interprets pressing the "Play" button as "send to"?  Similarly, "double click" to play would "send to" for files thusly tagged.

soundgals

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:54:25 am »

Here are a couple of screen grabs because I'm not sure I was clear enough in my original post.

I can send an album to an external player via the "Send To" command. The external player will receive all the tracks from the album into its playlist area and playback will begin:

I want it to work the same way when I specify an external player to be used for a particular file type in Options -> File Types.

Note: I've only used foobar for illustration purposes here as the external player. I don't necessarily want to use foobar.

Pages: [1]   Go Up