INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound difference- what am I doing wrong?  (Read 3350 times)

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
Sound difference- what am I doing wrong?
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:14:02 pm »

I noticed that while watching videos (haven't used JRiver for audio yet) the sound is different that that while watching via PowerDVD Ultra 13.  The JRiver doesn't sound as loud or as good.  The difference is noticeable enough - that I'm guessing there's some setting off or something like that.  I first noticed it while watching a TV show taped in Windows Media Center - the sound was MUCH more dynamic via PowerDVD.  And yesterday I watched a BluRay and I had to turn the volume on the AVR up a few knobs to get it loud enough (was set for more than loud enough prior to that) and although the sound was very good, it was as great as I expected via other BluRays on PowerDVD.  I checked that the audio stream was the main high def stream (dts I think).  Any idea?

DoubtingThomas

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sound difference- what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:48:03 pm »

Before you can compare the sound of one setup to another, you have to have the volume matched.

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:51:54 pm »

Before you can compare the sound of one setup to another, you have to have the volume matched.
Even after matching sound it seems better w/PowerDVD
also - why would there be such a difference - that I need to raise the volume in the source so much?  It's really a noticeable difference.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:57:11 pm »

Even after matching sound it seems better w/PowerDVD

Even very minor variations in volume (1dB) will result in one source sounding "better" than another; most of us perceive louder as better without even being aware of it.

also - why would there be such a difference - that I need to raise the volume in the source so much?  It's really a noticeable difference.

Do you have volume leveling enabled in MC?  That will typically result in lowered volume as compared to other applications.  Check your settings in DSP studio and your volume settings in MC.

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:58:18 pm »

Also,even after raising the volume the quality seems noticeably better.  It sounds like different speakers.

Al ex

Re: AW: Re: Sound difference- what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:43:20 pm »

How can you do this, if you want to use two different laptops and compare the quality of same song with different bit depth/sampling played on each? Just by listening and judging, if volume is equal? Or by using a tool?

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 04:29:02 pm »

to help understand the difference - it sounds like the difference between listening to a movie before and after dolby digital 5.1 sound.
There has to be some setting difference somewhere - any idea?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:42:11 pm »

Might help if you post how your Audio is set up in JRiver before you ask how to fix it.  ::)

Device, device settings, connections, DSP settings...??

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 04:53:17 pm »

thanks - didn't even know where to look. Should be the defaults.
I'll take a look tonight and let you know.

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 09:49:12 pm »

Might help if you post how your Audio is set up in JRiver before you ask how to fix it.  ::)

Device, device settings, connections, DSP settings...??

Ken
I have a PC connected to a Denon 2809ci AVR via HDMI cables.  and a set of goldenear speakers connected to the AVR.
No DSP settings checked in JRiver.
any ideas?  thx

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 09:56:01 pm »

In Tools - Options - Audio what are your settings under the following:

Audio Device
Device Settings
DSP & Output Settings (Channels)(Mixing)
Bitstreaming (None or other choice)

Is this a 2, 2.1, 5.1 speaker setup?

cgott42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 11:13:35 pm »

In Tools - Options - Audio what are your settings under the following:

Audio Device
Device Settings
DSP & Output Settings (Channels)(Mixing)
Bitstreaming (None or other choice)

Is this a 2, 2.1, 5.1 speaker setup?
5.1 speaker setup
Audio Device = Default Audio Device  = [Direct Sound]
DSP&Output Settings - Nothing checked (in the output format menu - Channels = Source # of channels; Output encoding = None; Same Rate = no change for all of them (though again, the main output format box is not checked)
Channels = Default Channels (recommended)

Bitstreaming = None (recommended)
[/quote]

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 11:41:51 pm »

For audio device try to pick your device with (WASAPI)

Next Select the Output format box so we can get all 6 channels, it may be processing the audio as Stereo, but you should be able to tell if this is happening or not.

So if you are not bitstreaming, then JRiver is doing all the processing with the signal before it goes to the receiver.

Your other application may be doing bitstreaming and your receiver is doing its DSP on the stream.

For a quick check you could try bitstreaming (HDMI), if it sounds better, turn bitstreaming back to none and go into the DSP settings again and select the room correction and set up your speakers there.

Jrivers DSP engine is usually much better than any receiver. If you have a direct though mode on your reciever I would use that and set everything up in JRiver.

Let me know how it goes. I'm no expert but will to get ya past the basics of the program the best I know.

Here is a good read. http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

Ken

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 01:48:15 am »

I agree you should go through the setup in the Wiki article linked above.  Then, please report back the settings you're using in detail if things haven't improved.

Also review:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume

And check out the Loudness feature:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76608.0

The perceived difference could be that the other application (which I don't know well as I haven't used a remotely recent version) is handling volume via a similar mechanism to Loudness in MC.  That has a large perceptive change at a given "volume" level.  It could also be that the other application is just applying "pleasing" EQ settings automatically.  Can I assume you've checked in the other application for any EQ setup settings?  Not that it saying nothing about EQ (or saying that the EQ is turned off) actually means there are none, but it is a start.

But, certainly, if you have it set to DirectSound, you need to go through the Audio Setup wiki article.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up