INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request (all right, plea)  (Read 722 times)

Mastiff

Feature request (all right, plea)
« on: February 10, 2002, 08:39:52 am »

Hi again!
There's one thing I'd really love to see in Media Jukebox. Have you guys seen a plugin for Winamp called AlbumList? Basically it searches the directories and subdirs you tell it to and sorts all of the albums in a list, the way you want it (I keep it sorted by Artist, but there are a few other possibilities). It can also export a HTML-page with the albums in the sort order (and then I use Excel to put in numbers and print it from Word). My wife is not a technophobic, she's a technosceptic. She does not want to have to turn on the telly (a computer in the living room? I should be so lucky...) which I use as a monitor for my MP3-server that's located in the cellar. This setup works nicely, except...

Now the main problem with this is that this list is dynamic. If I add three new albums, I have to print an all new list because the numbers will have changed. And besides I don't really like Winamp all that much. So here's my suggestion, and it might be easy, it might be impossible, it might be of no interest whatsoever to people, but to me it's an essential part since I do (or rather my wife does) not want to feel that the music is playing on a computer, but on a piece of hifi equipment:

Add the possibility to attach a sequential number to each imported album (and maybe to each song as well, but that might be a bit more difficult, what do I know?) that will stick with this album. Maybe it could be saved in the comment field of ID3's, or maybe just in the internal database, that really does not matter. What matters is the possibility to export a list of all albums, with their numbers (sorting is no big deal, I can do that in Excel) so it can be printed, and mainly: a system that lets you play an album (or a song if the numbering of songs is practically possible) or add it to playing now. In the AlbumList plugin it's achived with Windows messages sendt from Girder. If you're interested I can send you my Girder setup along with the plugin, but I'm sure you get the idea.

So is this just a dream, or is it possible?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Feature request (all right, plea)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2002, 02:06:37 pm »

Hey Mastiff,

Here's my solution to this problem:

- export the playlists / smartlists I like to listen to .mpl or .m3u

- assign each playlist its own button on my remote control and make that button launch the desired playlist (check out http://girder.nl for remote stuff)

Does this sort of work?  You can't get to every song, but it's a start.

Otherwise, maybe you could get your wife used to the new full-screen mode in MJ 8 -- it's not too intimidating.

Let us know what you end up with and take care.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mastiff

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2002, 09:27:25 pm »

Yes, I use Girder. The problem is that I've got about 1500-1600 albums to assign. That raises two issues: 1. I need to manually create playlists for each of them and number them sequentially (yes I use Girder with the new Playlist launcher programmed by RonB and MpegErnie). I've done about 300 so far, and it takes time. 2. When that is done, I'll have to find a way to print them alphabetically. Or I'll have to go through them again to note manually what they all are. You may call me lazy, but I'd think an automatic way would be easier.

Dave

Girder
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 02:04:23 am »

Can anyone recommend a good RF remote to work with MJ8?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2002, 04:22:17 am »

The Philips Pronto Pro TSU6000 looks good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up