INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature requests  (Read 228912 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature requests
« Reply #600 on: March 14, 2015, 07:16:07 am »

I would like to see JRiver build-in more "tools" to the Smart Lists. For example, if a User wants to check their library for duplicates, they need to create a smart list, so first they have to search (Posts or Wiki) for the proper expression and then figure out how to create a smart list.

The important, or most useful tools, IMO, are "find duplicates (audio and video media types)", "locate missing files" (files imported but not showing in expected view/location), "identify incorrect media type and/or media sub type tags", "Show Recent imports".

Why not just add these tools to the pre-built/pre-installed smart-lists? 

If not this, then perhaps a repository or sticky-thread for "tools and tweaks" where one could go then copy/paste into MC those expressions/tools desired.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #601 on: March 14, 2015, 07:43:52 am »

Am definitly not at that technical level to understand it but i dont get why other free players are definitly managing to get full bd menus. I just understand that vlc and xbmc use latest libbluray git and it really works on over 85% of my blur ays.
Forgive me if i bring this topic up again but iT is the latest feature which would make jriver a perfect player for everything.

john_kane

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #602 on: March 14, 2015, 10:18:33 am »

Matt,

I'm begging... please add support to sync devices by playlist  (each playlist added to the device is physically stored on the device as a folder, all files in that playlist inside the folder). If a file appears in multiple playlists, it will be copied multiple times, once in each playlist folder.  Thats more than acceptable to me.

If it helps, your wife has the same issue unless you upgraded her car stereo.  (Most) Car Stereos do not support playlists.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79903.0

If you could also see it in your heart to let users edit the sync expression for the device, we might be able to find an expression that actually *works* for android devices since the MPT mode disaster.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #603 on: March 16, 2015, 09:49:23 am »

+1.  The strange looking folder/paper is not indicative of "Kids Movies" and isnt' wife pleasing :)

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #604 on: March 20, 2015, 03:20:43 am »

Could I suggest at the top of the windows/frames that have columns that can be use adjusted to width, that a ruler or scale at the top of the columns be added to aid in setting the widths of the columns the same in all displays where appropriate.

Also have been suggesting that for each play list or group the ability to "resume" playback at the point when the list was stopped at. This way for long lists will assure we can work our way all the way down. Otherwise we end up starting at the top of each list when we switch to different list.

Currently the only way I have found to do this is start with the "bookmark" field MT. Then each time I change to different list scroll down to the first MT bookmark. Works, but crude when a the computer should do this automatically. But not look MT bookmark, but the remember the last track played.

Thanks and regards, Harroun

rec head

« Reply #605 on: March 21, 2015, 12:00:57 pm »

It would be nice to get email notifications when something important busted. My TV setup got messed up when I updated and I had no idea. I missed some recordings but luckily haven't gotten in trouble over it. TV recording is a background process that I don't think about after it is setup so it isn't obvious that it isn't working.

An email along the lines of: Hi users, we have become aware that a bug has come up in the whatever feature in version xx.xx. If you use this feature you may want to check that your Media Center is working properly. We are working on it and will have an update posted as soon as we get it figured out. If you are using a previous version or don't use this feature then don't worry about it.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #606 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:02 am »

Just refreshing my collection of requests.

1.  A right click context menu setup for a slideshow based of the currently playing albums folder (with options for sub folders - /art/images/coverart), and with the option of the rotated reflection effect (with quality setting).  All on the right click context menu when right clicking over the cover image (standard view).  A cover art slideshow from the currently playing album folder - rotated reflection effect.  when the trk changes to another album, so does the slideshow... and so on.

2.  Option to not auto play when changing playlists.  If left ON by default it should not interfere with anyone who wants auto play.  Nice to have the option to turn off or some other states.  I had not considered other states just on and off, but other options could be worked out for semi-auto play depending upon conditions maybe.

3.  When changing playlists, and or starting MC up - to scroll down and highlight the last playing file (and options around this, inc type of highlight and colours).  An easy in UI way of doing this.  What I find it does do currently upon car radio playlist change is it plays the first track in the playlist and sort of scrolls down to the area where the last track was played in that list.

A wave form seek bar/scrub window.  Not separate by default but enabled to fit (dock) nicely above the playlist buttons in standard view (just below cover art)  or for that matter just above the cover art, or anywhere on the standard view (maybe). This could if one wanted to replacing the timeline altogether (optional),  replacing with a waveform seek/scrub section.   

With quality/graphics options to optimise and refine for those with more gpu power.  Smoothing, anti-aliasing to the point it almost looks soft focus.  You know, just good graphics ideas we could build on.

I would actually love to have an all in one 'soundcloud' type waveform seekbar option to play with.  Integrated into standard view either in the same place as the timeline is now.  And other options for placement/detachment.

5.  Option to back up to a 2nd location as well as the default one at the same time.  As and when jriver does it auto backing up.

6.  The audio path does not show blue (direct) for the skin Black on Black.   Could this be updated please.

7.  Could the dark skins like Black on Black support the 'Size' option where possible please.    Not sure if these are in house or user created.  Black on Black being my main skin at the moment.  We all use so many different options for viewing these days, and scaling.  So surely skins should now take advantage of all the scaling options in JRiver.

Black on Black
Purity dark
Air
Silent Night
Peal

8.  Some new black and dark grey skins by in-house which bundle with the software.  new UI designs for large TV screens in dim rooms for people wanting easy on the eyes dim and night time UI's.  I'm a night owl and up all night with a large plasma screen, so all dark and grey everything suits my eyes.

Taking some design cues from the above listed dark and grey skins.

Easier to use tools for audio books.  Access from right click context menus.  Remember position after X %.  Color last played file X color.  Show files in color which have a remembered position of X % - maybe a few colors to indicate at a glance where the track position is by just the color its displaying (red 10%, orange 50%, 80%+ green)  for example - traffic light system to show track position of each audiobook track in the playlist.    I know now, I have to open the tag menu and add that media tag for all audio books.

Someone (6233638) kindly gave me a little bit of code to mark my audio books in red and remember the position after 10% played.   But I would NEVER had figured this out myself.  I wanted this but didn't know until I asked and got the code.  And this is my main issue with JRiver,  its all there, but beyond my skills to even know what I need.  I'm sure I need a lot, I just don't know it yet or how to even guess it its all there and implement it.   I love deep but forward thinking UI's where we can do a lot of this by easy to understand visual options and cues.   A massive ask I know.  But maybe something for MC v21 onwards.

So I suggest for later versions of JRiver -  A better, tighter integration with the back end via very modern and very forward thinking UI and right click context menus and even visual animations to show things linking and happening.  More long term future plans.  And obviously these are broad concept ideas from someone who would like very forward thinking new UI.  I'm never going to learn scripting, even in the most basic form and lean heavily on intuitive modern UI's.

Old and new style VU meters able to pop out the GUI of a VST plugin.

I've got the VU meters suggested in the other recent same sort of request thread:  http://www.lsraudio.com/lvlmeter.html  Where someone mentioned looking into a detached window, either from the main UI or from DSP studio.

Would be great to be able to have these display in there own detached window, without always having to open DSP studio.  

Maybe there are two ideas here.  One is to have VST VU's be able to detach from DSP studio and float anywhere without the need to have DSP studio main window open.

And second,  to maybe have in-house VST VU meters as floating window options for JRiver down the line.  I've not really found a good selection of good VU meters.  The one from the link above. And ideas based off the photo in this thread:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96388.msg664704#msg664704

I mean the software is a player, it has volume control so I thought why not also offer 1-5 (old and new) VU meters bundled in.  To enhance the visual impact of using JRiver without needing more 3rd party stuff. And right there in a detached border less window, and also integrated into standard view somewhere if that option was checked.  Just a thought for the future.
Namaste - 'bows slightly with hands pressed together, palms touching'

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #607 on: March 25, 2015, 11:43:10 am »

Some new black and dark grey skins by in-house which bundle with the software.

+1

...and flat. MetroX black is good and would be awesome baked in.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #608 on: March 25, 2015, 12:30:17 pm »

deleted

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #609 on: March 26, 2015, 03:37:17 am »

In regards to item 2 and 3 above about auto play in play lists and groups. Amusing MC 20.0.87 and experience none of this type of action. Has these been implemented in a "beta" form or still in talking stage?

From my listening preferences either or both with a first preference of play last track. And then with ability to disable for those who don't want to use.

PS: you will make me very, very happy to have this feature added.

Best regards, Harroun
Bangkok

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #610 on: March 26, 2015, 11:59:26 am »

In regards to item 2 and 3 above about auto play in play lists and groups. Amusing MC 20.0.87 and experience none of this type of action. Has these been implemented in a "beta" form or still in talking stage?

From my listening preferences either or both with a first preference of play last track. And then with ability to disable for those who don't want to use.

PS: you will make me very, very happy to have this feature added.   Left ON by default, it should make a nice optional feature to have.

Best regards, Harroun
Bangkok

.87 auto plays playlists (car radio) for me when changing them.  If left ON by default it should not interfere with anyone who wants auto play.  Nice to have the option to turn off or some other states.  I had not considered other states just on and off, but other options could be worked out for semi-auto play depending upon conditions maybe.

Magoo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #611 on: March 27, 2015, 01:27:58 am »

+1

I've got the VU meters suggested in the other recent same sort of request thread:  http://www.lsraudio.com/lvlmeter.html  Where someone mentioned looking into a detached window, either from the main UI or from DSP studio.

Would be great to be able to have these display in there own detached window, without always having to open DSP studio.  

Maybe there are two ideas here.  One is to have VST VU's be able to detach from DSP studio and float anywhere without the need to have DSP studio main window open.

And second,  to maybe have in-house VST VU meters as floating window options for JRiver down the line.  I've not really found a good selection of good VU meters.  The one from the link above. And ideas based off the photo in this thread:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96388.msg664704#msg664704

I mean the software is a player, it has volume control so I thought why not also offer 1-5 (old and new) VU meters bundled in.  To enhance the visual impact of using JRiver without needing more 3rd party stuff. And right there in a detached borderless window, and also integrated into standard view somewhere if that option was checked.  Just a thought for the future.

rec head

« Reply #612 on: March 27, 2015, 08:10:13 am »

An option to Force an Update. Sometimes a Latest Version will fix a problem that I have so I switch from Stable to Latest. Then the program updates and I forget to switch back. Then I get an update that breaks something else. From other posts it doesn't seem like I am the only one. If I could just get the Latest version with one click overriding my normal setting of Stable just in that one instance the problem could be avoided.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #613 on: March 27, 2015, 12:46:09 pm »

An option to Force an Update. Sometimes a Latest Version will fix a problem that I have so I switch from Stable to Latest. Then the program updates and I forget to switch back. Then I get an update that breaks something else. From other posts it doesn't seem like I am the only one. If I could just get the Latest version with one click overriding my normal setting of Stable just in that one instance the problem could be avoided.

the latest version is always posted on the top of the page...that's kind of forcing an update, no? 

rec head

« Reply #614 on: March 27, 2015, 02:40:03 pm »

Opening a browser, getting to the page, downloading and installing is a lot of clicks away from convenient. Remember some of us wouldn't mind if MC got easier to use.

I think my example above would keep people (like me) from unintentionally making changes that then cause further problems and lead to more people looking for help.

sKiZo

• World Citizen
« Reply #615 on: March 28, 2015, 12:41:41 am »

Auto advance on lyrics as a track plays using the standard library screen.

Wonder if this could be done by adding a marker tag with a keystroke? Click a button when you want the lyrics to advance, and have the time stamped to the next available tag. If the track goes long enough to trigger a tag, auto advance the display to the next page in the lyrics field and auto advance to the next non blank tag. Shouldn't take more than maybe four or five specific tags to git er done ... Do this once manually, and have JRiver do the job on subsequent plays once the tags are written?

Still haven't figured out exactly how to sync the lyrics to the current track consistently. One track ends, the next is highlighted in the list, sometimes the lyrics advance to that new track, sometimes it doesn't ... Sometimes, the whole lyrics window is highlighted, sometimes not. Real head scratcher it is ...

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #616 on: March 28, 2015, 02:38:40 am »

To JohnnyRedHead

In regards to Car Radio push buttons. Each switch to a different button it starts at the beginning of the list. This is of no use. Why keep starting the list at the beginning each time? We need to be able to resume planning at the point we stopped that list.

Would suggest in the option box when the lists are added to the car radio button an additional option to resume last play.

OR best yet to do this for the groups and smart lists.

Regards, Harroun

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #617 on: March 28, 2015, 05:54:33 am »

I hope I'm posting this in the right place - please let me know if I'm not.

I am a personal audio enthusiast (headphones and portable gear) and love JRiver for my desktop setup, but currently am struggling with it as a solution for my portable players. One tiny adjustment would solve this though... Would it be possible to allow the bit-rate conversion option (available currently through the "convert format" function in library tools) as part of the options in syncing a handheld device? Currently the sample rate can be converted, but there is no option to adjust bit-depth automatically. It would be a great help to save manual conversion of any hi-res files that I want on my portable.

Thanks!!

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #618 on: March 28, 2015, 05:23:46 pm »

To JohnnyRedHead

In regards to Car Radio push buttons. Each switch to a different button it starts at the beginning of the list. This is of no use. Why keep starting the list at the beginning each time? We need to be able to resume planning at the point we stopped that list.

Would suggest in the option box when the lists are added to the car radio button an additional option to resume last play.

OR best yet to do this for the groups and smart lists.

Regards, Harroun

Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing, I can't tell from your post above.

Having the option right there in the same car radio playlist option seems like a good place to at least set your preference for that particular playlist.  Like Do not auto play this list.  And also, resume playback of last played file.  Highlight last played file 'Always'.  Things like this seem logical to me.

When I open MC I would like it to scroll down and highlight the last played file.  with highlight options available in settings.  From simple normal playlist 'active track' to maybe some pastel light color background which disappears upon playback.

I guess further editing of that playlist auto play and highlight options should be located elsewhere,  maybe by right clicking the card radio button for that playlist.

So,  option to auto play or not.
Option to - if auto play activated, to scroll down and locate last played file and auto play that or not.
Option to - highlight last played track - on/off, even if auto play is on or off.

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #619 on: March 28, 2015, 08:18:33 pm »

Mr. JonnyRedHead

Please pardon the confusion. I am aware that old age is catching up with me (now 72) and lived & worked in Asia all my life. So troubles to communicate in clear and concise terms. And never having formal training in computers, pretty much learned the hard way and my starting point was in the '50s when they were made with vacuum tubes and even had analog ones. Nuff of that.

I agree with what you are saying. What ever is the end result, I hope will follow the KISS principle (keep simple) and flexible to satisfy all. I would like to see the resume play apply to the "car radio buttons", smart lists and groups.

If I can ever get to the point that I can do some programming of my own with the MC system, perhaps it is possible to work up an add on that will do this. That will be a long learning curve. have programed other industrial system, but never for a PC. Sooooo......

Regards, Harroun

PS: I can get confused with the terminology very easy, I never looked at the "car radio" thing as I have not had an automobile for 20 years now. Stupid me.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #620 on: June 04, 2015, 01:00:40 pm »

Any chance of some refinement options in settings for the fly out scroll bars please.  Speed, smoothing, graphics icon quality etc.   The icons a look a little low res.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #621 on: June 25, 2015, 09:14:03 pm »

Just a bump and edit of some of my ideas.  The cover art slide show with rotated effect is still a good one.

A right click context menu setup for a slideshow based of the currently playing albums folder (with options for sub folders - /art/images/coverart), and with the option of the rotated reflection effect (with quality setting).  All on the right click context menu when right clicking over the cover image (standard view).  A cover art slideshow from the currently playing album folder - rotated reflection effect.  when the trk changes to another album, so does the slideshow... and so on.

Option to not auto play when changing the 'car radio' playlists.  If left ON by default it should not interfere with anyone who wants auto play.  Nice to have the option to turn off or some other states.  I had not considered other states just on and off, but other options could be worked out for semi-auto play depending upon conditions maybe.

The audio path does not show blue (direct) for the skin Black on Black.   Could this be updated please.

Could the dark skins like Black on Black support the 'Size' option where possible please.    Not sure if these are in house or user created.  Black on Black being my main skin at the moment.  We all use so many different options for viewing these days, and scaling.  So surely skins should now take advantage of all the scaling options in JRiver.

Thank you, Black on Black has the size option now.  

It would be good to see some more in house dark, grey, skins for larger TVs in dimmed rooms and night time of course.   The skin shown by this user is a good one:  HERE   but is not willing to share it :(

Some new black and dark grey skins by in-house which bundle with the software.  new UI designs for large TV screens in dim rooms for people wanting easy on the eyes dim and night time UI's.  I'm a night owl and up all night with a large plasma screen, so all dark and grey everything suits my eyes.

I mean the software is a player, it has volume control so I thought why not also offer 1-5 (old and new) VU meters bundled in.  To enhance the visual impact of using JRiver without needing more 3rd party stuff. And right there in a detached borderless window, and also integrated into standard view somewhere if that option was checked.  Just a thought for the future.

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #622 on: July 05, 2015, 09:03:24 am »

MC-20 Requests:

Sirs: My main use for your program is “audio”, so my comments pertain to only this portion of your program. I am in the process of ripping about 4600 CD’s in to the data base and files. These CD’s I have copied from my originals adding CDText in a format that I prefer. Your program is uploading the text from the CD’s nicely in general. In the process, some thoughts and observations have come to me. Kindly refer to attached for some clarification of my thoughts.

1.   Suggest changing the label “Car Radio”, this is quite confusing to new comers and I do not believe the program can control or feed a car radio. Something like “Preset”.

2.   When one of the “car Radio” or Preset tabs is in use, please make the tab highlight to indicate that it is in use.

3.   In the “Edit Disc Information” window, for the “Genre” field please add a drop down list of the choices, this will save a lot of typing errors. Do the same as in the “Tag” editing window. Further do the same for “Artist” and “Year”.

4.   When working in the ripping CD window with the “Update from Online Database” button, please add one to force “Update from CDText”.

5.   Add the ability to load the back of the album covers. Sometimes is nice to get the information from there.

6.   When editing the text in fields in complex fonts IE: Thai fonts they are not displaying correctly. This is confusing when making entries. When leaving the editing, the display is correct.

7.   When uploading CDText with complex fonts as above the program is scrambling the text. Particularly where sub and supper scripts are used.

8.   When “Update from Online Database” give us the option to “only fill in the blank fields” instead of overwriting all.

9.   Under the “Drives & Devices” where there is an “Eject” command, please add “Close” command. Most drives do accept this command and it can be quite handy when doing much work with the drive. Actually put “Open” and “Close” try buttons on the top window when viewing the CD drive, along with Play, Edit Disc Information, etc.

10.   Most important for me as this will greatly improve my daily enjoyment of using your program. My play lists will have at least 6000 tracks and most likely much more than that.  Currently your program will start at the beginning of the list when changing from one to another. Thus, nothing beyond the first hundred tracks or so will never be listened to. When opening the program there is the option to continue play from the pint the program was at when closed. Please apply this principle to the “Car Radio” and each play list or group.

My previous mechanical system would do this feature and I greatly miss the ability to make a complete sweep through all my music.

11.   Some of my CD’s have a large number of tracks, 30, 40 and some times more. Other programs seem to be able to read the entire text; MC20 rejects all of the data.

Have not programed for a PC before, but other systems yes. I would guess that not enough memory or string length is allowed for robust titling for classical works. If I recall correctly Red Book specifies CD’s can have 99 tracks. Commonly my classical names and artist can run out to 40 to 60 characters.

12.   A thought has come to me while working on my CD’s, How thinking of adding a “file under line for the album title to improve the sorting order. Ala: Collection.com so the prefixes are not used for the sorting order?

13.   Sometimes for some users having the CDID code available helps greatly for retrieving previous information. It is probably there in the data for each CD that has been loaded. Please make the field available in the list of TAG items.

14.   Is there a way to transfer the “Album Art” from the ripped files back to the CDA data for the CD’s? When ripping the art work if downloaded is on the music file, but not on the CD data file?

15.   In your editing windows how about add some standard tools? Search and replace. Then I have thoughts for a new type of editing tool. Probably named “Remove” where different types of strings of text are removed under user specified conditions. IE: remove all text between two characters. […] including the characters. Sometimes needed much is “case capitalization correction. IE: Change from all caps to upper and lower.

16.   When “Update from Online Database” and there are several choices of sets of data, how about change the display so the different sets are displayed side by side so we choose easily the one that suits the end user best. Now one must switch between each one, but making a comparison is not easy this way.

Thanks and regards. Harroun

« Reply #623 on: July 05, 2015, 01:37:55 pm »

2.   When one of the “car Radio” or Preset tabs is in use, please make the tab highlight to indicate that it is in use.
All these buttons do is load a playlist.
This is not a special playlist in any way, so there is no "mode" in use, thus no reason to highlight the button.

10.   Most important for me as this will greatly improve my daily enjoyment of using your program. My play lists will have at least 6000 tracks and most likely much more than that.  Currently your program will start at the beginning of the list when changing from one to another. Thus, nothing beyond the first hundred tracks or so will never be listened to. When opening the program there is the option to continue play from the pint the program was at when closed. Please apply this principle to the “Car Radio” and each play list or group.
Being able to resume playlists is an oft-requested feature.
I do think it would be good to be able to mark certain playlists as "resumable" along with a preference for what the default behavior should be for playlists that do not have this assigned.

15.   In your editing windows how about add some standard tools? Search and replace. Then I have thoughts for a new type of editing tool. Probably named “Remove” where different types of strings of text are removed under user specified conditions. IE: remove all text between two characters. […] including the characters. Sometimes needed much is “case capitalization correction. IE: Change from all caps to upper and lower.
Check the Library Tools.

Tools → Library Tools
Right-Click → Library Tools

flac.rules

« Reply #624 on: July 05, 2015, 02:05:37 pm »

I would like the program to do auto-backups also when it is connected to a remote library.

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #625 on: July 05, 2015, 02:12:21 pm »

My thought on highlight the "radio" buttons and other play lists is for us elderly absent minded people have been listening to music for a while is we can be reminded what path we went down to get to this point.

Thanks for support on the resume play. I pray we can get to the right person to add this to the program. And as you say, keep it flexible to accommodate al users. Yes, each list should be selectable as to where this is active or not.

I'll have to check out the library tools. I am quite new to this program so have much learning to do. And have had things go wild a couple of times and had trouble getting back to where I began. So sometimes reluctant to experiment too much.

In the past I have done some programming with other systems, so now have just gotten "Visual Studio" and have some hopes that this old man can do some good with it. Would like to expand the program to control other devices. especially to interface with my existing Creston system. Making my music collection display on their system should be a mind stimulating experience. In the past I interfaced a collection of 12 Sony CD changers to display all the text and album art work. Too several years to do, Obviously I am a retired person.

Regards, Harroun

« Reply #626 on: July 05, 2015, 02:46:39 pm »

My thought on highlight the "radio" buttons and other play lists is for us elderly absent minded people have been listening to music for a while is we can be reminded what path we went down to get to this point.
If it was a button that you pressed where hitting button #4 played a specific playlist, and hitting #4 again returned you to the previous playlist, it would make sense to highlight it.

However the buttons are not a mode switch, they just play a playlist.

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #627 on: July 06, 2015, 04:37:53 pm »

Further to my comments above.

In loading up physical CD's to MC20 if find that I am doing many, many repeated operations. Because of the number added items is about 5,000 or more I am repeating the same keystrokes over, and over. My thought is a few user defined function buttons, sort of like the "car radio" thing.

So operations like "control" and "A", "control" and "C", and control "V" and also to take one directly to a menu selection. For example I am not using my previously scanned art work and need to call up in "Tools", "Cover art" and then "Add from file". If this could be done with one action instead of three much time is saved and wrong results avoided like accidentally changing the language of the menus.

And of course I am seriously praying that adding the continue play to the playlists is in the works. This will make some people very, very happy.

Thanks and regards, Harroun

Goatshade

« Reply #628 on: July 08, 2015, 06:35:37 am »

I have a number of features to suggest, most of which coming up at some point or another in the past. Consider this a consolidation of all (major and/or relevant) requests I've made. I figure that now would be a good time to do this, since MC21 has been announced.

• Chapter-based particles - The ability to create particles based on a selected range of chapters in a given (ripped) video file, as opposed to the current method of entering precise time ranges. It would greatly simplify breaking down ripped concert footage, as well as ripped BD's and DVD's of, say, TV series, that have been authored in such a way that the relevant content appears as one long title on-disc. With this feature, one could conveniently use something like DVDFab to rip the entire title and then separate all episodes via MC, as opposed to progressively ripping each chapter range.
  • Allow existing particles to be edited and duplicated - Exactly as it sounds. As it stands, once one defines a particle and its parameters, it's permanent. If it needs to to be changed, it must be deleted and recreated with the new changes. I find this rather unintuitive.
  • Make WDM play nice with theatre view - Currently, setting JRiver Media Center (the WDM driver) as the default playback device causes playback on any user-defined websites in theatre view (such as Youtube TV) to break, and for said website not to load at all, due to MC jumping to the "IPC" Playing Now screen. This is not a problem when another audio device is set as the default.
  • Look in to Crunchyroll/Funimation integration - Pretty self-explanatory. Some of us watch anime, and pay for legal subscriptions to licensed streams in support of the industry. Would be nice to at least get some kind of note on its technical viability, especially compared to the ever-changing Youtube.
  • Allow us to add Hulu as a website - Attempting this in theatre view settings simply results in the webpage being automatically removed by MC without warning. Weird.
  • Define default audio/subtitle languages on a per-file basis - There is a global setting for this, but for those of us who have extensive libraries of foreign-language and dubbed content, it would be nice to have greater oversight and flexibility over which streams MC automatically chooses. Would be especially useful for particles.
  • Just go ahead and create a default ten-star rating library field, and fix the RatingStars10() expression so that it outputs the black stars in thumbnail text - It's just that having a whole ten-star field type might as well beg for a default corresponding library field that the user wouldn't have to define themselves. Also, allow for switching between selectable five and ten stars in the display at the top of standard view, as well as in Playing Now in theatre view. Would make rating things in ten stars much easier.
  • Allow Rename, Move, & Copy Files to move files stored and accessed via a server, with a client - Currently, it is possible to have one copy of MC running as a server while another runs as a client, allowing one by virtue of zones to play media on the server via the client, not to mention make metadata changes. However, what a client in this setup cannot do is move those files around on the server's HDD with the Rename, Move, & Copy Files feature. This sort of defeats the purpose of a client/server setup because it forces the user to access/remote in to the server to make these changes, which can be counter-intuitive when the server's sole general purpose is to run in theatre view at all times and "serve" media. Further, it would be really awesome if one could edit the server MC's options via a client after the initial media network setup somehow, but I'm not sure how much of a rigamarole that could be.

I'll post more later if I think of anything else. Strongly requesting feedback.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #629 on: July 08, 2015, 06:57:23 am »

• Make WDM play nice with theatre view - Currently, setting JRiver Media Center (the WDM driver) as the default playback device causes playback on any user-defined websites in theatre view (such as Youtube TV) to break, and for said website not to load at all, due to MC jumping to the "IPC" Playing Now screen. This is not a problem when another audio device is set as the default.
    [...]
  • Define default audio/subtitle languages on a per-file basis - There is a global setting for this, but for those of us who have extensive libraries of foreign-language and dubbed content, it would be nice to have greater oversight and flexibility over which streams MC automatically chooses. Would be especially useful for particles.

There are solid solutions/workarounds for these two. 

For the WDM driver see here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver#Problems_With_Streaming_Video_Using_Media_Center.27s_Internal_Browser_and.2For_Erasing_Playing_Now .

For audio and subtitles, you currently can set those on a per-file basis by starting playback and then selecting the language and subtitle track you want in the right click menu.  Once you do that, MC will remember which ones you've chosen for that specific file.  I don't know if that works for particles, but the "per-file" part is already there.

Goatshade

« Reply #630 on: July 08, 2015, 10:50:07 am »

There are solid solutions/workarounds for these two.  

For the WDM driver see here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WDM_Driver#Problems_With_Streaming_Video_Using_Media_Center.27s_Internal_Browser_and.2For_Erasing_Playing_Now .

For audio and subtitles, you currently can set those on a per-file basis by starting playback and then selecting the language and subtitle track you want in the right click menu.  Once you do that, MC will remember which ones you've chosen for that specific file.  I don't know if that works for particles, but the "per-file" part is already there.

Thanks for the WDM link; I was looking for a solution to that, but didn't know how to search for it. :)

As for the per-file streams selection issue, that solution does not work for DVD rips. I don't know the specifics, but something about DVD playback prevents MC from "remembering" my stream selections, such that whenever I begin playback, change one of the streams from the default, and then either stop playback or jump to another chapter, MC "forgets" my selection(s), forcing me to repeat the process. This goes whether the file in question is a particle or not. This does not occur with BD rips, but DVD's still account for a significant portion of my (and that of others, I'm sure) library, hence the above suggestion. I think Jim once implied that it'd be possible to do--just not in an hour or less. I might be thinking of the particle chapters idea though; I really don't remember. :P

EDIT: Just remembered another one:

Allow Rename, Move, & Copy Files to move files stored and accessed via a server, with a client - Currently, it is possible to have one copy of MC running as a server while another runs as a client, allowing one by virtue of zones to play media on the server via the client, not to mention make metadata changes. However, what a client in this setup cannot do is move those files around on the server's HDD with the Rename, Move, & Copy Files feature. This sort of defeats the purpose of a client/server setup because it forces the user to access/remote in to the server to make these changes, which can be counter-intuitive when the server's sole general purpose is to run in theatre view at all times and "serve" media. Further, it would be really awesome if one could edit the server MC's options via a client after the initial media network setup somehow, but I'm not sure how much of a rigamarole that could be.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #631 on: July 08, 2015, 11:16:50 am »

Feature Request(s) for MC21 re: Jim's recent post

-Cover art for different fields (ideally all of them) other than series and artist.  The way the current folder structure works (put the same name of .jpg into the series folder) seems like a simple thing to extend to making any folder the same name as a field and doing the same thing

-an option in the YADB to select which information to pull rather than pulling it all (for example, i'm filling out country, label, etc. information but all of my main tags are flawless and don't want interference there) and maybe the possibility of easily choosing a different source for tagging info (discogs?)

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #632 on: July 08, 2015, 11:48:42 am »

Theater View: I'd like to see the cover tiles optionally overlayed with additional symbols, illustrating its contents format and compression quality, also aspect ratio in case of video. Please see the attached images as a very rough example.

Goatshade

« Reply #633 on: July 08, 2015, 12:01:57 pm »

Theater View: I'd like to see the cover tiles optionally overlayed with additional symbols, illustrating its contents format and compression quality, also aspect ratio in case of video. Please see the attached images as a very rough example.

+1

This would be useful to me in particular when dealing with albums mixed at 5.1 channels. It is not uncommon for me to have two copies of the same album--a "limited" edition mixed at the standard 2 channels, while one is mixed at 5.1 channels and only includes the tracks that appear on the "standard" edition--and visually differentiating the two would be pretty cool.

Expanding on this suggestion, I'd suggest a number of subfeatures:

• User-defined overlays, to be used in lieu of, or in conjunction with, MC's hypothetical defaults.
  • Option to implement those overlays based on library field metadata, to include user-defined library fields.

flac.rules

« Reply #634 on: July 08, 2015, 12:04:33 pm »

Overlays is a great idea, especially if it can be connected to a library field.

JonnyRedHed

• World Citizen
« Reply #635 on: July 08, 2015, 12:17:51 pm »

deleted

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #636 on: July 08, 2015, 01:45:57 pm »

My current top two things that I would like to see in either 20 or 21:

Ability to use/see series/season cover art anywhere in Theater View/Gizmo, not just in a TV specific view.

Unified configuration for Theater View/Gizmo.  This was mentioned as something JRiver wanted to try to do in v20 at one point but as of yet has not happened.

Llannis

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #637 on: July 08, 2015, 02:21:43 pm »

Ease of use

- When I applying a preset to a playlist group, it doesn't take effect for all the children playlist groups and playlists, but only to some. Also, could we have a dialog open asking if we want to apply to all children folders and playlists or not?

- A search field at each Pane fields, discarding things as we type.

Services

- The ability to auto-download videos from pre-specified Youtube channels and playlists

Thanks

Goatshade

« Reply #638 on: July 08, 2015, 07:04:37 pm »

Just wanted to report back that the instructions provided don't work for Youtube TV. It just does the exact same thing, but instead of "IPC" at the bottom of Theatre View Playing Now, it just says "Media Center". I tried the fourth step to be sure, but that didn't change anything.

I will say that it loaded the Crunchyroll webpage correctly; however, trying to play a video on that site in the MC browser doesn't work because Crunchyroll thinks that I have either turned off Javascript, or don't have a valid version of Adobe Flash Player installed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #639 on: July 09, 2015, 02:24:54 am »

Hi,

in v21 I want to see:

- scraping movie information in languages other then english (e.g. german)
- all DSP functions available in DLNA
- a possibility to control with the PC something via RS232 (sending cotrol commands for e.g. receiver, screen control (16:9 or 2,35:1 command for motor control), light,...) depending on movie tag informations or the status of the programm

BR
Erich

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #640 on: July 09, 2015, 09:40:23 am »

Hi all,

I'd love to see the remote library connectivity, zone control and video transcoding components combined to allow two people to simultaneously watch a movie in sync with each other.  If someone pauses or skips, it is reflected for the other person.  Perhaps a chat window along the bottom (black bar) during playback.  One person is the master (must own the movie in his/her library) and the other connects through another instance of MC over the Internet or even possibly through a browser.

Thoughts?

flac.rules

« Reply #641 on: July 09, 2015, 10:15:23 am »

- a possibility to control with the PC something via RS232 (sending cotrol commands for e.g. receiver, screen control (16:9 or 2,35:1 command for motor control), light,...) depending on movie tag informations or the status of the programm

+1

Harroun4

• World Citizen
« Reply #642 on: July 09, 2015, 10:24:15 am »

Erich, very good thoughts. I support your requests 100%. In the past I programed my own system using Creston and did many, many features on that system your are talking about. Currently I am going to try learn programing on a regular PC in hopes that I tie in with MC 20 or 21. The advantages of integrating the entire system are most gratifying and when one has to learn to do without is a huge let down.

Once the system is opened up, the possibilities are endless. And the enjoyment of the investment is magnified many times over when this is done.  Originally I start off with the goal to get rid of a box full of remotes to control the system, which I usually had the wrong one in my hand, to one central control point. After several years, the lights, HVAC system, electric power system had power usage recording. 'several system set up to monitor AC usage and to find ways to save on the power bill.

If I had results in this new project, it will be posted.

Good luck, thanks and regards to all, Harroun,
Bangkok, Thailand

csimon

« Reply #643 on: July 09, 2015, 02:28:58 pm »

Allow the "There:" prefix on zones to be changed/removed.

This would allow a more meaningful identifier to be used (if you have more than one server) or stop truncation of zone names in, for example, Theater View where very often you just see "There: Zone for...."

csimon

« Reply #644 on: July 09, 2015, 02:31:06 pm »

Allow Wake on Lan when connecting via IP address

A local Wake on LAN facility that requires a WAN to operate is not that useful for people whose WAN connections are unreliable/slow or who don't want to connect their media equipment to the internet.

csimon

« Reply #645 on: July 09, 2015, 02:34:48 pm »

Allow ripping of CDs from a client

This would be very useful for when you have a server that is headless or where it's a HTPC that doesn't have a keyboard and office chair and desk to sit at or if it's got no optical drive.

This may require the ripping location to be the same on client and server (locations are recommended to be the same for client/server anyway, and in a complete MC networked environment this would probably be the case) but other than that I don’t understand why it is deliberately disabled. It shouldn't require the whole media files to be transferred from client to server - the client should just rip and place the files in a globally-accessible location then send database entries to the server as in any client/server operation.

csimon

« Reply #646 on: July 09, 2015, 02:44:59 pm »

Allow videos to be sent to a multizone server from an external controller.

It is impossible to play video in that situation when sending video from:

1. Gizmo
2. Web Gizmo
3. A DLNA controller
4. MC client Standard View
5. MC client Theater View
6. Any mobile remote apart from eos [JRemote, at least the version that is now abandoned, was able to do it but it was awkward to use and had the side effect of interrupting any video that is currently playing if you tried to send audio to another zone]

This is because the server doesn't recognise what zone has been selected by the controller in order to be able to switch to the Active Zone so that Display View will work.

It is possible to do it by setting up Zone Switch rules to change the active zone, but only when you can identify in advance what files you want to play in which zones. It is not possible to program Zone Switch to identify which zone to switch to on-demand. The suggestion made previously is to add a rule type to Zone Switch to say

"Make this zone active if it is about to start playing a file with these specific tag values"

There may be other ways of doing it server-side, so that each client doesn't need to be specifically programmed to do it.  DLNA controllers can't be modified anyway and they can't have MCWS commands added to them.

csimon

« Reply #647 on: July 09, 2015, 02:47:32 pm »

Allow Zone Switch to NOT make a zone active when sending a file to it.

Currently, Zone Switch recognises files by rules and routes them to the specified zones, but it also automatically makes that zone active.  This will disrupt any video that might be playing when you're trying to send an audio file to another zone.  So this request is for an option on each Zone Switch rule that stops the active zone being changed.

csimon

« Reply #648 on: July 09, 2015, 04:03:54 pm »

Allow Rename, Move, & Copy Files to move files stored and accessed via a server, with a client - Currently, it is possible to have one copy of MC running as a server while another runs as a client, allowing one by virtue of zones to play media on the server via the client, not to mention make metadata changes. However, what a client in this setup cannot do is move those files around on the server's HDD with the Rename, Move, & Copy Files feature. This sort of defeats the purpose of a client/server setup because it forces the user to access/remote in to the server to make these changes, which can be counter-intuitive when the server's sole general purpose is to run in theatre view at all times and "serve" media. Further, it would be really awesome if one could edit the server MC's options via a client after the initial media network setup somehow, but I'm not sure how much of a rigamarole that could be.

+1

csimon

« Reply #649 on: July 09, 2015, 04:07:53 pm »

Configurable OSD caption overlay for video.

An overlay in Display View that appears for, say, 5 seconds (configurable) at the start of a video with configurable fields and text to display, useful for use as a video jukebox when playing a playlist of music videos.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up