INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OS to support next for Tablets  (Read 2872 times)

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
OS to support next for Tablets
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:02:18 pm »

I want to build the perfect media server for my car with a Tablet and DAC. What OS would get you excited?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of sarcasm known to the State of California to cause irritation.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: OS to support next for Tablets
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:30:02 am »

Why not a surface pro? Then JRiver doesn't need to do anything at all.

Duke2010

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:05:51 am »

Why not a surface pro? Then JRiver doesn't need to do anything at all.

Thats a good point! Or build an in car PC and hook it up to a touch panel on your dash. There are some really good cases out there so the PC is hidden away in your boot.

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 08:11:56 am »

I wonder if an android version would be a big problem?

Now that the hardware is really fast right now, it would be nice.

I have Android HDMI TV Stick CX-919 for example. Power comes from the USB Port from the TV.
Works great. But until now i can 'only' use XBMC on it. 1080p Movies are playing really fine right now.
Streaming with this stick would only be good for audio files and divx movies, because W-Lan isn't that fast.
But you can use a USB Stick or hdd too.
And there are Android TV Boxes out there, like MiniX Neo x7 with LAN port. With this ability you can stream HD Movies too.
A combination Stick or Box and a NAS is something i would like to go! GREAT!

Until then i will play around with it (when i have time) to install Ubuntu as a second OS. To check out how good MC is running on it.
I must say, i love this peace of hardware.
Low power consumption and a quad core CPU is really nice to use right now. And the next generation is on it's way.....
Some people made a workaround to install ubuntu on Android HDMI TV Sticks.  ;D
I must say, my HTPC doesn't run often anymore, since i bought this stick.

Would be nice if MC team would think about it...
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:42:18 am »

10" Surface Pro or PC with touch screen would work for car but a tad overkill.  I was really hoping for a solution utilizing a 7" Tablet as all in one solution to run media program, sync playlist via wi-fi, and stream to DAC via USB and then straight in to aux. input.   10" tablet is a bit too large for dash mount (at least for me) and the "simple is better" approach of 7" Tablet is really appealing.  Supposedly there are 7" tablets with Windows 8.1 coming out but they are just vaporware at the moment.

And Android support of USB DAC appears to be spotty?  Not all features supported?  I see a few low end DACs being tested and confirmed http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=124 but not higher end asynchronous DACs?

Interesting Ubuntu post here http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/ubuntu-for-android  - doesn't appear that it's ready for end-user to root their android phone/tablet just yet but maybe in the future.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of sarcasm known to the State of California to cause irritation.

slerch666

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:24:13 am »

The Venue Pro 8 is a good device and runs the full Windows 8.1 Update OS. And JRiver would work perfectly there.

Any Windows 8 based computer can be upgraded to 8.1 and 8.1 Update. Just because they say Windows 8 doesn't mean you're stuck w/ 8.

And... $99 Windows based tablets are coming:

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-99-windows-8-tablets-and-249-notebooks-coming-fall

And... Kingsing already has cheap Windows tablets:

http://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-kingsing.html?SearchText=kingsing&CatId=100005062&shipCountry=us&initiative_id=SB_20140820082250&isrefine=y

I don't have any experience with Kingsing, and my guess is the manuals will be Google Translations, but who knows? Support would stink since you'd have to work internationally, but there are cheap Win 8 tablets out or coming soon.

beats_works

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 11:44:10 am »

I went with an Acer Memo updated to 8.1 - not without kinks as I had to use Y cable to inject 5v from separate source as tablet output is not sufficient to reliably drive USB powered DAC (repeatedly loses connection without additional power). This adds problem that power coming back? from tablet keeps the USB power outlet active when shutting off car. USB isolator with "Bus off" setting might be the answer there.

Still working through issue that playback is usually garbled when resuming from sleep requiring JR to be closed and restarted. Other issue is I really need a skin more tailored to 8" Touch device. I've tweaked Theater view to a usable but not ideal state.
Pages: [1]   Go Up