INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IR receiver has gone wierd on me  (Read 1738 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
IR receiver has gone wierd on me
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:04:02 am »

OK so the HTPC we are taliking about is part of a home cinema setup, and should only ever be IR controlled. Theater View only, except for maintenance etc. I have a cheap IR receiver in a front USB port. In the last few weeks, the system has started to have problems receiving IR commands. Typically, the box won't wake from standby with an IR command, and then won't accept IT commands for a few minutes. Then suddenly, it starts working, with full IR control, including going into standby. The HTPC is W7 64 bit, with MC19. No other IR handling software installed.

Problem occurs if I'm using the MC clone remote that the IR receiver came bundled with, or my Harmony. Harmony seems to be working fine as it's firing up and controlling everything else.

IR receiver is one that flashes when it receives a command, so it's easy to tel when the thing is (or is not) working.

I'm happy to replace the IR receiver if necessary, but that brings up another question. I've always stuck with MCE remotes, because I used to switch between MCE and JRiver, but I've not used MCE for a long while now. Sooooo, if I'm never going to use MCE again, do I need an MCE remote/receiver. Has anyone tried using something else?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: IR receiver has gone wierd on me
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:53:34 am »

If the receive blinks, it's working.

Batteries?

Is it related to how much light is in the room?

Or distance?

A lot of people are using phones as remotes now.  There is a "Remotes" topic on our wiki.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Re: IR receiver has gone wierd on me
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:54:00 am »

Batteries refreshed. Cinema room, usually only light is from the projector. Distance no issue, the room is tiny, I sit maybe 6ft from the PC.

I'm more than happy with the Harmony, and once the IR "wakes ups", which is usually 10 mins or so after the PC is switched on, everything works fine. I tried switching to a different USB port, and had the receiver on an extension cable. No change. I stating to think it can only be the receiver itself. I have another receiver on a different PC. I'll try swapping them.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up