INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support for Sony BDP-CX7000ES Carousels  (Read 1828 times)

DrJohnC

• Recent member
Support for Sony BDP-CX7000ES Carousels
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:30:12 pm »

Forgive me if this has been covered in the past. I'm new to JRiver Media Center.

I have two of these guys attached via RS-232; some other Media programs can both record the storage location of the movie and play the same through the RS-232 connection.

Is the same functionality available in JRiver, and if so, how is it implemented, especially recording the movies and their location in the JRiver database?

I prefer to have all my media accessible from one software solution ... both carousels are at max capacity.

Copying to disk requires 20,000 tb of space (800 disks @ 25tb each average), which isn't going to be available in the foreseeable future; thus my question.

Of course I can run two software solutions, but that's "tacky" at best.

Thanks for your help

John

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Support for Sony BDP-CX7000ES Carousels
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:45:26 pm »

That wont be an easy or a cheap solution even if it's possible. There's no native capability for MC19 to control disc changers.

I used to use cinemar mainlobby, musiclobby, and dvdlobby, with Slink-e, CDJ and MLServer to control 1600 discs in 4 Sony changers.
Slink-e is a product that died in about 2004 when Microsoft bought it.  I still have one around somewhere at home. There maybe other more current solutions with Homeseer or Girder, but I haven't looked into them in years.  

I've sent a note off to Mario at Cinemar for you and will see what he comes back with. His software isn't cheap.

Back when I was using it in the early 2000's it was around $300-$400 for the software suite, but its now gone into serious high end automation with seriously higher prices compared to 15 years ago!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:11:15 am »

Copying to disk requires 20,000 tb of space (800 disks @ 25tb each average), which isn't going to be available in the foreseeable future; thus my question.

One disc is 25GB, not TB, for a total of 20,000GB or 20TB which is easily available today with 6TB drives coming around. Just to clear this up a bit.

In any case, its unlikely that we're going to support these, as these changers are practically all out of production and just "legacy".
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DrJohnC

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:29:42 am »

Hi All

Thanks, Hendrik for clearing up my arithmetic (forgot to divide by 1000  :))

Years ago, I also looked at Cinemar, but found the platform too expensive for me.

I also have three Sony DVD carousels, which are controlled by Slink-e's and managed by software I cobbled together almost 8 years ago.

Looked at the 6TB drives (~$300 each) and if experience serves these drives may have similar problems to the 4TB drives when they first became available. I suppose a large, networked NAS is the only solution now.

I enjoy the look of JRiver Media Center, its ability to edit metadata, and most of all the MADVR ... which is simply amazing.

Thank you guys for your quick response.

John

Ekpen

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 06:53:29 pm »

One disc is 25GB, not TB, for a total of 20,000GB or 20TB which is easily available today with 6TB drives coming around. Just to clear this up a bit.

In any case, its unlikely that we're going to support these, as these changers are practically all out of production and just "legacy".

Greetings:

Legacy products are legacy products.. should we throw them away. We are looking for ways to collect or store dvd/BD shinning discs.
I have  the DVD version and also the E7000ES. I am a fan of shinning discs.
for almost two years , I have been pleading  for RS 232 products be supported. I guess, i am in the minority here.
If I find more changers, I will buy them without looking  back.

If MC can detect USB devices or drive, why can the code not detect RS232 devices?

Remember before USB, it was RS232, and appliances fitted with RS232 in the old DOS days are usable in DOS.
If MC can scan, detect and place the contents in a Database, that will be a good start.

Maybe the same logic used to detect USB appliances may work for RS232 with a little tweaking.
Thanks for looking in to these.
MC is such a matured product , for it not to have RS232 capabilities is a real disappointment.
George

Hilton

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:17:10 am »

I heard back from Mario at Cinemar.  
He said he hasn't had any enquiries for changers for over 5 years.  That just goes to prove it's very much a legacy product.

He doesn't have anything that would do what you want, but if your prepared to pay for it as a custom job ($$$$$) , he may consider adding some functionality to the MLServer plugin for JRiver MC to interface between his plugin, JRiver MC and the changers.  I doubt it would be financially viable.  Just buy some USB3 or Esata RAID arrays for $200-$400 and add some drives. Keep the discs as backups.

This is how I do my collection now. I have almost 20TB of RAID on 2 x USB3/esata arrays and backup to a separate set of 4TB drives in removable docks. (1 of these 8 bay arrays with 4TB drives can do 24TB usable RAID 5, Im running RAID 10 3TB drives)
I still have the discs as a further backup stored away in sleeves in DJ road cases.

http://www.mediasonicstore.com/servlet/the-24/Mediasonic-ProRaid-8-Bay/Detail

These RAID Arrays are directly connected to my HTPC which also run the backups to the removable 4TB drive Dock.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 01:48:23 am »

RS 232 is a communications protocol, not an interface protocol.  There is no such thing as "supporting RS  232 devices".  You have to write drivers for each individual device (often, actually, firmware version specific drivers).

It is a Herculean task.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Ekpen

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:03:54 pm »

I heard back from Mario at Cinemar.  
He said he hasn't had any enquiries for changers for over 5 years.  That just goes to prove it's very much a legacy product.

He doesn't have anything that would do what you want, but if your prepared to pay for it as a custom job ($$$$$) , he may consider adding some functionality to the MLServer plugin for JRiver MC to interface between his plugin, JRiver MC and the changers.  I doubt it would be financially viable.  Just buy some USB3 or Esata RAID arrays for $200-$400 and add some drives. Keep the discs as backups.

This is how I do my collection now. I have almost 20TB of RAID on 2 x USB3/esata arrays and backup to a separate set of 4TB drives in removable docks. (1 of these 8 bay arrays with 4TB drives can do 24TB usable RAID 5, Im running RAID 10 3TB drives)
I still have the discs as a further backup stored away in sleeves in DJ road cases.

http://www.mediasonicstore.com/servlet/the-24/Mediasonic-ProRaid-8-Bay/Detail

These RAID Arrays are directly connected to my HTPC which also run the backups to the removable 4TB drive Dock.

Maybe Mario forgot recent inquiries about his RS-232 work done for Sony changers. I tried to pay for it in the past, but found out is not for JRiver MC.
If he really wants, it can be made to work with MC.
I will write him this week end and ask him how much.
There are many people that own these changers.
BTW- I own 4 boxes of mediasonic RAID.. but I still love my shinning discs.
Thanks.
George
George

DrJohnC

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 01:04:16 pm »

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info. I've developed a "hack" solution:

For each movie/tv series which is stored off-line, I've created a small video file consisting of the background of the movie/series in question and a test reference for where it is located. The mkv file is less than 1gb in size.

I then create the usual folder structure required by JRiver, populate it with sidecar and other files and voila!

When I access the movie/series through JRiver and play the mkv file, the video informs me where the movie/episode is located, e.g., Blu-Ray Carousel #1 - 201 or DVD Carousel #4 - 153.

No automatic playback, but it's a workaround.

"My Movies" offers a storage/playback feature, but I don't want to use two different interfaces, and JRiver is so much more conducive as it doesn't run under WMC.

A big thank-you to everyone for their input.

John

PS: Each video file took under 3 minutes to create and "hook up"
Pages: [1]   Go Up