INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about cutting the Cord  (Read 1635 times)

techjunkie

• Recent member
Questions about cutting the Cord
« on: June 17, 2014, 06:48:16 pm »

Hi: I am trying to cut as much of my cable costs as possible. I live in Canada (London,Ontario) what things do I need to buy i.e TV turner card,etc to make this work with PVR function on JRiver if possible, using version 19(if matters) on my windows 7 (64 bit) PC love Jrivers performance, sorry about these very basic questions but I bought a Android device Minix Neo X7 with XBMC not happy with a few things about it(darn impulse buying,LOL) I can get an exchange done if I return it by Friday so wondering how to do this with JRiver!Thanks for any ideas!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Questions about cutting the Cord
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 07:39:20 pm »

You must have a TV tuner card or external device.   Silicondust HDHomerun, for example.  Silicondust and Ceton (cetoncorp.com) both make network tuners.  Put one anywhere on your network and use MC to record from it.

You could read a few posts about this on this board.

techjunkie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:23:13 pm »

Hi: Looking at those companies Jim they are only good in the USA not Canada here is the link to what the store I dealt with on the Android device caries hope there is something I can a) get here in Canada 2)that this store carries...here is the link it is only 2 pages just let me know which(if any will do the trick).  Here it is

http://www.megacomputer.ca/index.php/main/ProductList/544.296/1

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:01:07 pm »

Will this work? Really good product with proper antenna and a good reception area.

http://www.silicondust.com/images/hdhomerun/HDHomeRun_CAN.pdf

You can also go here and see what stations you might receive...

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 04:34:46 am »

Hi: Looking at those companies Jim they are only good in the USA not Canada here is the link to what the store I dealt with on the Android device caries hope there is something I can a) get here in Canada 2)that this store carries...here is the link it is only 2 pages just let me know which(if any will do the trick).

Have you got shares in that store or something?

Newegg delivers all the way down to Oz and you're much closer. Haven't checked whether they do SD. There's a job for you.

Silicondust claims to service Canada:
www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/hdhomerun-ca-canada/

Whatever you do, I'd suggest going with a tuner that has an existing MC following. Avoid hassle.

All the best in your search ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 04:39:59 am »

Oops. Missed the bit where you are angling for an exchange.

My thoughts about tried and trusted hardware stands. That's why Jim suggested what he did. A job for you to trawl through the forum. You might be lucky but hard graft is normally the most reliable method.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 04:17:33 pm »

Hi Techie, fellow canuck (Cambridge and Rogers customer) i have been in process cutting the cord for a number of months on a interesting learning experience.  I have both an HDHR V4 and a HP950Q.  The HD is networked, the 950Q is usb.  To me the big issue is how do you plan to use the Card.  In my house i purpose built a MediaPC and retired an old NAS concentrating all in the MediaPC which is in the family room, if you are just one spot viewing then life is easy and both are fine.  If you have a networked situation (i have both lots of hardwired and wireless devices to contend with) then life is still pretty simple if you go just Windows based.  However, i decided to combine OTA with IPTV with XBMC with Playon with....and both expand and improve our entertainment.  Hence i needed a PC with transcoding capability exceeding that of 2.4 g PC (I built around a AMD 8320) to be able to transcode live tv as well as PlayonTV (XBMC is seperate and very good software platform but a bit "heavy" for Android).  At present, as best i know MC doesn't transcode live OTA TV to gizmo for any Android devices (i have no apple products so i can't tell) and i watch live OTA on multiple tablets..The HDHR non-transcode version (i believe they are retiring it) vs. the newer HDHR transcoding on the fly is likely the key issue and the newer version is likely +$50 more than the non (i decided too put my money into a higher end CPU and save on the HDHR) .  You may need multiples of whatever you decide to be able to view in multiple devices different channels at the same time. You may also want to look at WMC vs. MC or some other choices (NextPVR) as there are differing benefits to each, like EPG support, etc. I get CBC, CTV, Global, TVO, PBS, NBC, CBS, CW, lots of God stations, ION, OMNI, etc. but no Fox but as i watch live sports i also have an IPTV provider.  You will also find a) the picture from OTA beats cable when b) it comes in my USA channels are from Buffalo.  I would generally suggest the HDHR but as it is a "splitter" (ie you can view and record but "true PIP" i don't think can happen) vs. the 950Q the signal is a bit weaker (in fact the best reception i get is direct from anntenna to TV (which i understand is common but no EPG, etc.). To date standalone MC gives me the best picture/sound for OTA, but WMC picks up more "fill-in" channels.. hope at least some of this helped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up