INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC can't see Squeezebox devices anymore  (Read 5483 times)

DangerJP

• World Citizen
MC can't see Squeezebox devices anymore
« on: March 24, 2014, 08:36:52 am »

Hi,

I have 2 Squeezebox devices (touch and radio) around the house which are served by Logitech Media Server (LMS) installed on a NAS (Synology DS413j).

MC is running on my desktop PC. In the past, MC presented these devices as DLNA zones (which were also being displayed by JRemote on my iPhone).

Alas, since February, MC can't find the Squeezeboxes anymore. Note that MC has no problem finding other DLNA zones (WDTV for example).
Also, LMS seems to run fine since I can play music directly from the Squeezeboxes.

Not sure if this issue is caused by an MC update or an LMS update on the NAS side.
Any ideas ?

Thanks !

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC can't see Squeezebox devices anymore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 01:12:11 pm »

- Did you update or change LMS recently?
- Is the LMS DLNA plug-in enabled?  Winner!
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:47:07 pm »

Hi MrC,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've never ''manually'' updated LMS. Maybe it was automatically updated recently on the NAS, but I can't spot a corresponding event in the LMS log file.

Also, the LMS DLNA plug-in is enabled.

I will investigate other possibilities.
I'm not sure if it's a network issue since I've used IP Scanner on my desktop PC and both Squeezebox devices were found on the network.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
[SOLVED] MC can't see Squeezebox devices anymore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:58:51 pm »

Solved !

In the LMS settings on the NAS, I disabled the DLNA plug-in, applied modifications and then re-enabled it.

Everything works fine now in MC.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:35:53 pm »

Great!
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 11:45:34 am »

I have the same problem, but it's intermittent, and I haven't found a sure way to get Gizmo (Android version) to see the Squeezebox. I haven't even narrowed the problem down. I suspect it isn't a Gizmo issue, but more likely either MC, which doesn't always see the SB either, or Windows (8.1). My Netgear router consistently lists it as connected wirelessly, and Logitech Media Server sees it as well, so LM server can send my files and Internet radio to the SB. I've tried rebooting or restarting everything, usually without success. Most often it comes back to Gizmo without me doing anything other than starting the PC up in the morning and turning the tablet on a little later.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 05:37:28 pm »

In place of the Logitech DLNA plugin, you could try using Whitebear instead.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 06:11:49 pm »

Thanks, I'll try Whitebear.

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 01:57:40 am »

AndrewFG, I'm trying to disable the LMS DLNA plugin before installing Whitebear. I run the Squeezebox Control Panel as Administrator, navigate to plugins and uncheck the box. The box is empty. If I get out and get back in, the box is checked again. I don't see an "Apply" button on the plugins window, so I again removed the check and hit "Apply" on the General screen, though doubting it has anything to do with plugins. Got out then in again, check reappeared. What am I missing?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »

Thats odd. I would also expect to see an apply button.

But if the worst comes to it, you could try Whitebear without disabling the Lms Dlna plugin; in that case you will see Squeeze-players twice (once via Lms and once via Whitebear) and you just need to take care to push to the latter only..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

RonB

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 11:48:25 am »

Loading Whitebear didn't change SqBx visibility. I noticed LMS said it was defaulting to iTunes, so I changed that. Coincidence or not, the SqBx became visible, but I got an error preventing its use. That was a while ago, so I don't remember exactly what the error was, I think it was a socket error I've never seen before. Most of the problems I'm having (with two different renderers) aren't MC's fault. I really like what MC purports to do, and the forum has been surprisingly responsive with good suggestions (special kudos to John who helped me with ripping). But making it all work reliably may require more time and effort with a collection my size than I'm going to be able to put into it. I'm not sure it will even be possible with my particular equipment configuration (if reliability is included).

For what it's worth, I'm now on Windows 8.1. Windows 9 is rumored to be within hailing distance and a major improvement. I'm hoping networking becomes more transparent, but in any event, Logitech has said it will no longer support SqBx after Windows 8. So even if MC, Gizmo, Whitebear, NetGear, LMS, Synology, Onkyo, et all begin to cooperate, things may fall apart again after another Windows upgrade.

I will continue to stumble along, and probably even try MC 20, while keeping an eye out for SqBx replacements or other possible equipment changes.

PS, I temporarily uninstalled Whitebear, but it didn't disappear as an LMS plugin. Though in admin mode, I still see no way to "apply" the change permanently after removing the check on a plugin.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 09:53:22 am »

PS, I temporarily uninstalled Whitebear, but it didn't disappear as an LMS plugin. Though in admin mode, I still see no way to "apply" the change permanently after removing the check on a plugin.

Whitebear's uninstaller cannot remove its plugin if LMS still has it in use. The solution is to stop LMS before you try to run the Whitebear uninstaller.

As you have already uninstalled Whitebear, you can try reinstalling it and uninstalling it again (while LMS is not running) and that should remove all files.

If that still does not work you can manually delete the Whitebear plugin from the LMS "plugins" folder.

Pages: [1]   Go Up