INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server setup  (Read 1793 times)

maid

• Citizen of the Universe
Media Server setup
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:43:37 am »

I currently use a common library based on our HTPC.

I do all editing in the office machine this works ok but if JRiver is running on the office machine and we decide to watch the HTPC it is opened in read only and editing cant be done.

I tried a long time ago to use the library Media server but this was not very efficient.

Has this changed and if so can someone give me help on how to set this up.

I have mapped all the drives from the HTPC to the office does this stay the same?

Do I make the HTPC the server and all the other pc clients? how does sync work?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

maid

Re: Media Server setup
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 08:55:04 pm »

am I correct in saying if I set us media server all client have to type the access key and to get sync we all have to type a name and password?

Also JRiver would have to be always on in the server side.

Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

Arindelle

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 05:06:43 am »

Sorry don't have a lot of time to give you a full how to but I see you have twice the posts that I do so you are no beginner maid :) You should really be using Client - Media Server set-up

Set HTPC as the server your office machine as the client (click off the server option on that machine) - both machines shoudl have read:write share permissions.

Just to remind you if you forgot,

- Start with Playing from in the tree set to Main (your local library) on the client

- Add a New Library (name it HTPC or Living room or whatever) and type in the authorization string you can get from the options, if a password is set if memory serves you have to type in the name and password (usually only once unless the network resets). You can also set up to type in a fixed IP address. So in answer to your question you have two options - provided that IP address are assigned and recognized in your router (port 52199 should be free for JRiver to use on your router config, if it doesn't work this might be where you should look)

- The Load this Library

At this point you can tag to your hearts content and do just about everything except change images, move files, import, and rip  (down load TeamViewer for remotely doing that].

Recommend that you allow the HTPC to auto laod MC Media server on win start-up and if possible Wake on Lan (WOL).

SYNCING --

In Options from the client PC go =>Media Network=>Client Options and make sure Show Playback zones on the client is checked. Normally, autosync will also be checked.

ok mystery, mystery I can't tell you for sure how often auto_syncing works, I think it varies. If syncing was immediate you would have JRiver solliciting the network constantly, too much load, to many requests. But does this happend every 3 minutes 5 or 10 minutes,  couldn't tell you. (@Matt??)

If you are just casualy changing a couple of genres or 3 newly ripped albums from the client, leave it on auto. BUT before you quit the client do a manual sync FILE=>Library=Sync Changes to Server. This will insure your last changes actually got to the server library. If you are listening to music on the client, the last played info, for example, is often missed without a manual sync.

HOWEVER, what I recommend, just my opinion of course, is if you are spending an hour or more or you are doing serious "editing" like renaming an 4 box set opera, TURN THE AUOSYNC OFF in Client options. Why because a sync goes both ways. On numerous occasions, and I can't explain why this happens, the server overwrites some of my changes back to how they were as they are considered more recent. 

So do all your major changes; when finished manually sync to the server, and then put the auto sync option back (or not depends on your workflow I guess)

I made a guide on this detailing setting up client/server set-up if you want the link,  I'll post it but you probably know it already :)

Hope this helps  and is not too confusing :)

maid

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 06:58:42 pm »

Thank you for the help.

As you say I am no beginner but I am also not a spring chicken and technology is extremely difficult for some of us. even remembering how I set this thing up in the first place is difficult.

I do remember now why I did not set up using the Office machine as the server,, it means I have to leave that one running.
Pages: [1]   Go Up