INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chromcast as a input device  (Read 2009 times)

High-End

• World Citizen
Chromcast as a input device
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:31:40 pm »

I have a headless htpc system with mc19 and eos as a remote.
Most times I hear music from a built-in HD.
Sometimes Internet radio via a built-in WLAN card.
 Can I use the chromcast stick as a "third" signal input device together with mc19?
If so, how did I have to configure mc19?
How did the switch between HD (stored files), WLAN (Internet Radio) and chromcast (only for "Digital concert hall") took place?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Chromcast as a input device
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 07:54:30 am »

You can play to a Chromecast device from MC.  Did you try it?  Find the thread that describes the feature (start at the "New Features" topic) for more information.

I don't know what you mean by Chromecast as input.  It is a device you play to, not play from.  It needs to be connected to something like a TV.

High-End

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:42:06 am »

Hallo JimH

Thanks for yor answer!
The last few month I am trying to get a setup up and running. The goal I want to reach is to listen to digitalconcerthall.com with a headless MC19 installed on a DIY streamer conneced to my HiFi.
The Berliner Philharminiker use a flash based system with dynamic links. So at the time you want to listen to their musik you have to navigate through the website....
I tried it with a remote MC19 http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91044.msg625745#msg625745 I was not successful and from the forum I get no support / new ideas.
Their apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.novoda.dch supports chromcast. My idea was that I connect the hdmi stick to my HTPC at let mc19 deliver the stream to my HiFi.
I don't need the picture I just want to listen to their 256 Kb AAC audio stream....
I you like, their websit offer a concert for free. Their you get an idea how it works....
Perhaps you have an idea?

regards
h-e

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:58:09 am »

I took a look at the site.  It looks like it is a paid subscription and it uses Flash.  They tell you how to use their software to play the files, and it doesn't look like they allow any other access.

However, some are available on Youtube, and I could one in MC, using Theater View.  Just do a search in Video/Youtube.  The quality may not be as good.

You could try their support to see if they are willing to help.

High-End

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 12:21:34 pm »

youtube doesn't help because I want to listen to their upcomming live streams.
As I said: Flash based website. I know how to interact with the website. I have a subscription.

I hoped you have a solution for a headless system. It seams not so.
Whats about the chromecast. Can a HDMI stick conneced to the HTPC deliver data to MC19 and than to my HiFi. Headless....

And their support... is ala "we offer what we have and we are not interesed in new thinking" ;-(

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 12:50:35 pm »

If you want to plug the chromecast into your HTPC and use it as a source, first you would need some type of hardware to handle the HDMI input to your HTPC.  Probably some type of capture card.  In theory, you could put a Colossus in the HTPC and plug the chromecast into the HDMI input.  Then setup MC for that input.  MC would just need to be configured to so that there is only one 'channel' on the HDMI connection.  It seems like you might be able to get this to work, but as I said, you need to start with an HDMI input to the HTPC.

Alex

High-End

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 01:20:17 pm »

I have a motherboard with built-in hdmi input.
Did I have to configure something within mc19?
What and where did I have to configure the hdmi inputs within mc19.
Am I right that is not possible headless?

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 06:54:52 pm »

You will need to access the HTPC somehow.  If it is headless, you will need to remote into it.  Then you can setup the input under the tv section of media center.  I am not sure if you hardware is supported.  I doubt anyone has done this before, so you will have to do some trial and error.

Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up