INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changed computer, same library, now have duplicates and missing cover art  (Read 1875 times)

jaybe

• Recent member

I switched my external drive audio library to another laptop with a fresh JR install, tried to set it up, and now have lots of duplicate file names and many files no longer show cover art on the new laptop.

I had JR installed on a laptop, and the only library is located on an attached USB drive. The library is all audio, from redbook to hi-res to DSD, and each folder has a cover art file. Tagging is mostly done outside of JR with Tag n Rename and files are stored on my desktop, then transferred to the portable drive. Except for some minor tagging and art fixes in JR, this has worked well and all files and cover art show and play correctly.

So I wanted to use a newer laptop in place of the existing one on the same audio system, installed JR 19, set it up with the external drive identified, also set auto import to that same drive. Now many files that were fine on the old laptop show as duplicates, one plays and the other does not. On these same files the cover art does not show, just the music note icon. Prior to moving the drive over it was working ok and I made no changes to any files.

So now I’m about to look under the hood, but not sure what I should be checking for. Any suggestions on how to identify and fix the problem?

Many thanks.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen

What does Media Center list as the filename on those duplicate files?  Do they actually point to duplicate versions of the same file?

Welcome to the forum!
Adam Thompson, JRiver

jaybe

• Recent member

Under each album, the files are listed as such:

Title 1
Title 1
Title 2
Title 2
Title 3
Title 3
etc.

For each pair of duplicates, one will play when clicked, the other will not.

They are not actual file duplicates on the drive, as I do good maintenance on the drive as far as cleaning up and adding and removing files/folders.

Sorry, I'm away from home now so can't actually get at the computer until later today.

Thanks.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

What does Media Center list as the filename on those duplicate files?

It sounds like your drive letter changed, but we can't know for sure unless you look at the filenames in MC.

jaybe

• Recent member

Would a drive letter change affect all files? Only about 20% of my LPs/files have duplicates. Didn't think of that, each laptop has multiple partitions. I'll check that later.

When you say look at the file names, is this the same as looking at the titles of each song? That's what I see in MC, song titles listed twice.

Thanks!

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Would a drive letter change affect all files? Only about 20% of my LPs/files have duplicates. Didn't think of that, each laptop has multiple partitions. I'll check that later.

When you say look at the file names, is this the same as looking at the titles of each song? That's what I see in MC, song titles listed twice.

Thanks!

No the filenames are stored filename tag. You can either 'alt-enter' to look at the filename tag one-by-one or add a filename column to your existing view temporarily.

jaybe

• Recent member

Well not sure what the problem was. Set up the drive again and all is well. Drive letters don't make a difference, independent JR installations reading an external drive, JR doesn't care what the drive letter is far as I can tell. Different on both laptops but imported fine.

It's a long learning curve with JR , but worth it.

Thanks for the help all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up