INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is JRiver ready for full featured, official Blu-Ray support?  (Read 35525 times)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is JRiver ready for full featured, official Blu-Ray support?
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2014, 12:46:02 am »

Thanks for doing those write-ups Hiltonk. I'll have a go at putting that all together in the near future. Although I will be using PowerDVD 10 at least initially. We'll see how that goes.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2014, 03:59:41 pm »

as someone who rips BD immediately (into .mkv) and then sells or re-gifts the disc, i could care less about titles/menus.  i also don't care about 3d.  i do totally understand why people do, but i'm one of those who would be unwilling to pay extra to attain these features.

well...maybe not unwilling, as MC has become an integrated part of my life, so i wouldn't ditch it with a moderate price increase...but i certainly would much prefer that this kind of stuff is in a separate package or plugin.

6233638 said it right....i built an HTPC for a reason, and right now MC is fulfilling the requirements pretty well.

yeepeee ! what a brilliant statement. That's exactly why we end up with cinavia, copy protection and such crap making audiophiles/full quality ripers (iso) unhappy. Ripping to gain storage space and shift from one disc to the other without entering the original disc each time is a noble cause. Most keep their original discs in the basement.
Bragging about ripping and re-selling.... sorry dude ?

@ekpen : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73366.msg497278#msg497278

stewart_pk

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 12:31:29 am »

Don't worry about menus and a BR license developers, just give me 3D for now and I'll be very happy.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 02:14:11 am »

Don't worry about menus and a BR license developers, just give me 3D for now and I'll be very happy.

That's what I want too, but it's not easy technically, and nobody on the dev team is as besotted with 3d as we seem to be.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 06:37:17 am »

Unfortunately (for you), I think that's the case. 

3d was a big deal in the late 1950's for a few years.  Then it died.  Maybe that's part of why I don't trust the current level of enthusiasm for it.

I also go to Best Buy a couple of times a month, just to see what is selling.  3D isn't talked about much there now.  4K definitely is.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2014, 06:39:45 am »

This change in MC20 should let you automatically use an external player for 3D:

NEW: Possible to configure external playback on the file type bdmv3d

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2014, 06:57:54 am »

My 2cents:
- we have always been able to use a 3rd party player for BD in general if you need/want features not in MC (such as 3D or native menus)
- the recent change Jim mentions will let users run a external player for 3D (needs expanding to Discs as well as files however) without the need for the script I posted
- the trade off will be you will be using the external player and will not get all the goodies MC can do (madVR, Video Clock etc) but that is the nature of the trade off
- there are projects in the open support community for features like native BD Menu support and if this, and/or 3D (MVC) is created I'm sure MC will support it

Till now this is a good balance between what can be done VS going down the Licences Player approach and all the downsides this would bring (cost and restrictions).

On 4K, I'm massively skeptical as there is no commercial 4K material and most would not have a 4K camcorder either.  The BDA (BD Association) is currently reviewing their spec so lets see if a 4K option is ever released.  Even then you will need a large screen and a short viewing distance to discern the increase in resolution.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2014, 07:11:48 am »

My 2cents:
- we have always been able to use a 3rd party player for BD in general if you need/want features not in MC (such as 3D or native menus)
- the recent change Jim mentions will let users run a external player for 3D (needs expanding to Discs as well as files however) without the need for the script I posted
- the trade off will be you will be using the external player and will not get all the goodies MC can do (madVR, Video Clock etc) but that is the nature of the trade off
- there are projects in the open support community for features like native BD Menu support and if this, and/or 3D (MVC) is created I'm sure MC will support it

Till now this is a good balance between what can be done VS going down the Licences Player approach and all the downsides this would bring (cost and restrictions).

On 4K, I'm massively skeptical as there is no commercial 4K material and most would not have a 4K camcorder either.  The BDA (BD Association) is currently reviewing their spec so lets see if a 4K option is ever released.  Even then you will need a large screen and a short viewing distance to discern the increase in resolution.

Yes 4K = diminishing returns for 95% of the population.
Unless you sit real close, or have a massive screen.

Interestingly I have just recently started to experience 3D discomfort for the first time, particularly with Pompeii. I'll have to go back and check some of my other films, but I think it's just the conversion of that particular film.  I haven't changed anything else in my system.

I accidently got MC theatre view in 3D the other day when I was playing with my scripts, it looked great, but I don't know how I did it!

Hilton

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2014, 08:54:11 am »

I just worked out why I needed the MC20 /stop commands in my script.

By disabling the advanced Theater View option 'Allow special handling on media insertion'  I was able to take all the pauses and stop commands out of my scripts.
Before I changed it, when in standard view and double clicking a 3D ISO, TMT would just start, but selecting watch in theatre view would start both TMT and MC20.

Script is much faster now and no accidental MC20 starts from theatre view with 3D ISOs!

:)

prerich

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2014, 09:17:03 am »

+1

I'm decidedly meh on the whole thing.
Ditto - I'm more apt to want more audio features, 3D to me is just a fad.

stewart_pk

« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2014, 12:23:32 am »

I also go to Best Buy a couple of times a month, just to see what is selling.  3D isn't talked about much there now.

But this is exactly what Media Theater seems to mainly and normally cater for, the wants of the true enthusiast and not the masses.
JRiver is not a mainstream masses product and I assume it never will be. It and 3D just seem like they're made for each other  ;)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2014, 06:03:52 am »

JRiver is not a mainstream masses product and I assume it never will be.
?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2014, 06:55:14 am »

JRiver is not a mainstream masses product and I assume it never will be.

I agree with that, in that it is a $50 media player application.  It is a premium product, a bit like Photoshop.  I think that's what he meant.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

stewart_pk

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2014, 07:32:55 pm »

I agree with that, in that it is a $50 media player application.  It is a premium product, a bit like Photoshop.  I think that's what he meant.

Exactly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up