INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: disabling some tag storage aspects of mj database  (Read 655 times)

mike

disabling some tag storage aspects of mj database
« on: February 07, 2002, 11:16:13 am »

Is it possible to disable the MJ database when it comes to storing tag data? I'd like to use only that tag data which is stored in the file. As it is now, if you modify a file's tag outside of MJ, MJ will not pick up on the change unless you 'update library' which is a hassle.

Also, MJ is still writing the MJMETADATA tag to files (ie. ogg ape/apl) when the tag is empty (or the tags within are empty). For OGG, the standard way of storing ReplayGain info is by using the RG_PEAK, RG_RADIO, RG_AUDIOPHILE tags but MJ doesn't do this, any plans to implement this?

And IMO there is no reason to put a 'rating' tag onto any file, that should be handled completely by the MJ database, since the rating only refers to your particular library of music and of no use to other audio players. IMO. Any comments?

MJ is still forcefully writing empty track and year tags in the form of track="0" or year="0" too. And you are also always forced to write a title tag. MJ is the best (only?!) mass tagger out there for OGG and APE/APL but these few quirks still prevent me from using it, really liking 8.0 though.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
RE:disabling some tag storage aspects of mj database
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2002, 12:52:50 pm »

<<MJ will not pick up on the change unless you 'update library' which is a hassle>>

It would be a lot better (imho) if MJ could update its database from saved tags of selected files rather than have to do the whole blame library, which certainly is a hassle.

I also agree on other points.
While fairly opinionated, even I do not expect that anybody else rates music as I do.
So tagging the file seems excessive.

There are no tracks or years numbered "0".
MJ7 had the goodness to display empty track# and year fields blank.  I think MJ8 should show equal courtesy.

I think that replaygain info is worthy of storage in the file since there can be considerable investment of time and resources in the analysis.

mike

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2002, 01:21:05 pm »

Oh don't get me wrong, I do indeed want replay gain tagged onto the file. I just pointed out that MediaJukebox should be tagging replay gain info onto OGG files in the standard way (RG_...) rather than putting it in the MJMETADATA tag, IMO. (I'm trying to get the link to the Hydrogen Audio forum post where the first replay gain analyzer for OGG was shown, but I can't get through to the site ATM. The Winamp vorbis plug also uses the standard RG_... method)

Also, MJ8 not only displays empty year and track fields as "0" but forces you to write those tags as well, rather than write no tag (or remove it).

mike

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2002, 11:01:01 am »

Here is a link to one of the main Replay Gain discussions, there are others as well which you can find by searching for 'replay gain'.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=5913

The main thing that is holding me back from completely accepting MJ8 is its tagging, encoding and Replay Gain support. Tagging is almost there, just need to stop writing the empty, 0 and other forced tags. Replay Gain is still new and standards are still not settled on, however for now the RG_... tags are standard for OGG Vorbis, and MpegPlus as well I think. And the ability to select between lowering the preamp and enabling compression is part of the RG spec too. For encoding I'd like MJ to be able to commandline encoders just as easy as plugins (oggenc.exe, replaygain.exe, lame.exe, etc.) Reading and passing all the correct tag info automatically.
Pages: [1]   Go Up