INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync only selected songs to a non-iPod?  (Read 1753 times)

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck
Sync only selected songs to a non-iPod?
« on: August 23, 2014, 06:05:26 pm »

If I were to buy a high capacity portable player (anything but an iPod) to play FLAC files from my JMC library while away from home, is there a way to check only the songs from the JMC library that I want to appear on such a player?  My library will exceed even the largest mobile player I could buy, so might choose to exclude certain songs from the sync. 

If there is a high capacity device folks recommend as a transition from my iPod Classic 160 GB, would love to hear that too.  For this use, prefer quantity storage over the price of the very best quality, as it is to supplement the Pono on the way.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sync only selected songs to a non-iPod?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 06:19:00 pm »

You can sync by playlist, and a playlist could be anything.  Even a smartlist.  And it could convert, if necessary.

Sapagrino

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 10:45:26 pm »

Thanks.  Below is a simplified version of what is going to happen for me.  If you were me, what expression/smartlist would you type into where to get to the result I describe below and keep good control of things without consuming too much time:

We begin ripping and importing into JMC.  We create whole folder structures of specialized Smart Playlists of different styles and genres, regular smartlists, imported playlists, etc.  It's working great.  

As we exceed 160GB in JMC and kept ripping, we start to use [whatever you tell me] to begin omitting albums from the sync, picking off whole albums, the first likely to be the kids, but we also have some CDs that were acquired more as a mistake (Record Club mailer) so not highest priority, some "breakthroughs" that don't really get listened to (Trout Mask Replica, anyone?).  

It won't be entire genres or anything else that could be accurately described consistently by metadata.  So, some quick way to omit whole albums is highest priority.  We use [whatever you tell me] to remove from sync enough to only sync 150GB.  We keep ripping for the next couple days and get to 160 GB.  Repeat until [350GB] into JMC, with [whatever you tell me] letting me tell JMC which albums make the cut to the final 160GB.

If the above experience has been manageable, we buy another iPod Classic and keep collecting/ripping.  Obviously, having access to our whole playlist structure the whole time is important.  Don't want a worse experience on the iPod just because JMC got populated with over 160GB.

Of course, every once in a while, we'd want to bring some other JMC albums onto the mobile, so would periodically omit others to make room, and so on.  As we go, we also see some songs that should not have made the cut (Mother from Police's Synchronicity, maybe?) or alternative releases we were comparing (Beatles' Boxes and my originals) on the mobile, but now will pick one release to make room.  Buy more albums?  Make some more tough decisions.

Just want to do this smartly.  If it's as simple as a playlist, what should this window contain so that the above happens and is reasonably managed?  I realize you can't necessarily tell me what would work best for me, in that I'll have needs beyond above, but if I could start with one solution that does above in some fashion, I can take it from there to improve/customize.

Just realized I went back to talking iPods on the non-iPod one of my posts.  Use of "iPod" above is just to illustrate the workflow I need.  Feel free to move the discussion wherever you want.  I don't necessarily care which device I succeed with here.  I ideally need it to work on BOTH my Classic and incoming Pono, but am willing to switch from iPod Classic to a non-iPod solution, since I will need a second 160GB or so in play in any case.

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:34:05 am »

You can sync by playlist, and a playlist could be anything.  Even a smartlist.  And it could convert, if necessary.

I tried to sync a smartlist the other day and couldn't seem to get it to work.

My phone (the media device) was connected to a PC that was connected to my MC box. I was trying to do this across the network (both PC's were running MC, one was the media hub and the other was connected to it).

Could that be why it wasn't working properly?

LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

la·zy [ley-zee] - Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up