INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using linking songs  (Read 2060 times)

bobrap

• Recent member
Using linking songs
« on: August 22, 2014, 12:07:30 pm »

So it seems I'm the only d###ass in the room, can someone give a little detailed explanation how this works?   ?   For the life of me, I just can't wrap my head around this.  If I link two songs from an album, it just plays all of the album either random (if set) or sequentially.  Thanks for any help.   :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Using linking songs
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:20:32 pm »

You pick two or more files and link them.  After that, they'll stay together through a shuffle and playback will always include the second, third, etc. if you play the first.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bobrap

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:34:57 pm »

Still don't get it.  I highlight two songs.  Select link tracks.  One  song has a number in the link column, the other doesn't.  Are the linked songs supposed to play one after the other?  If I have shuffle on, all songs are played shuffled and the linked songs get split up in the shuffle and don't play one after the other.  If I have tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and I link tracks 3 & 4, when these are played in random order, track 4 will always follow 3.  Is that correct?  Maybe I'm just getting too old for this newfangled stuff. ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:23:16 am »

The link being preserved through a shuffle might require a newer build than you have.  Stay tuned.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bobrap

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:39:30 am »

Thanks, Matt.  After playing a bit more, I think I might have stumbled on something. 

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 01:03:20 am »

The link being preserved through a shuffle might require a newer build than you have.  Stay tuned.

As a test I was playing track number 7 or 8 of a 17 track link within a 195 track playlist.  I "Right clicked" on my current playing zone and selected "Reshuffle".

It reshuffled the songs in the list and maintained the order of the linked tracks.  But it jumped to a totally different playing track.  I believe normal playing behaviour before is to continue playing the current track but put it at the top of the list?

Not a biggy just an observation.

Carl.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 02:37:15 am »

You pick two or more files and link them.  After that, they'll stay together through a shuffle and playback will always include the second, third, etc. if you play the first.

This feature really needs some visual help.

1. You can only see which song was the primary link, with an MCWS database number that means nothing to any other field in the viewable database.  And to see that much you must add another field to display in otherwise limited display real estate.

2. You can't see any other song's link status (songs the primary is linked to).

3. You can only break a link on the primary (link numbered) track, even though the Break Link option is selectable on ALL tracks.

Couldn't you at the very least have a single character indicator on every track (or color highlight) that is linked whether a primary or a target so it can be quickly seen and evaluated in a meaningful way?

My apologies in advance if there's more coming for this.  It seems rather thrown together and not completely thought out in its present form.

--Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up