INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing HD bitstream - No audio device [Solved]  (Read 2544 times)

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
Playing HD bitstream - No audio device [Solved]
« on: September 10, 2014, 12:38:21 pm »

Hi - This is a thread continuing from: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91643.msg630557

While trying to figure out the potential source of error (installing and uninstalling Media centers, AMD catalyst drivers) I may have changed some setting that is causing HD-MASTER audio to not stream. I have DENON-AVRHD (WASAPI) as my audio device. I do not decode any audio in the media center but let my Denon AVR 3313CI take care of the decoding. Since yesterday, I have been unable to play *any* media which has HD-MASTER audio. MC20 stops playing saying that an appropriate audio device is not found.

Here are the checks I did:
a. changed the source in options>Audio to all available sources and none of them play HD-MASTER audio.
b. HDMI bitstream is selected
c. Any non-hd audio appears to work ok.
d. Ensured that there are no output formats selected so that all audio is passed as HDMI bitstream.
e. Uninstalled and installed the stable version of AMD catalyst driver.

As Jim in previous thread suggested to check AVR settings, I checked them and found that nothing has changed. In fact I can play HD Master audio from XBMC using the "DENON-AVRHD (WASAPI)" as the audio device.

I cannot think of anything else I can check .. any suggestions please?
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Re: Re: Playing HD bitstream - No audio device
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 04:42:36 pm »

Bump, any suggestions?
Hi - This is a thread continuing from: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=91643.msg630557

While trying to figure out the potential source of error (installing and uninstalling Media centers, AMD catalyst drivers) I may have changed some setting that is causing HD-MASTER audio to not stream. I have DENON-AVRHD (WASAPI) as my audio device. I do not decode any audio in the media center but let my Denon AVR 3313CI take care of the decoding. Since yesterday, I have been unable to play *any* media which has HD-MASTER audio. MC20 stops playing saying that an appropriate audio device is not found.

Here are the checks I did:
a. changed the source in options>Audio to all available sources and none of them play HD-MASTER audio.
b. HDMI bitstream is selected
c. Any non-hd audio appears to work ok.
d. Ensured that there are no output formats selected so that all audio is passed as HDMI bitstream.
e. Uninstalled and installed the stable version of AMD catalyst driver.

As Jim in previous thread suggested to check AVR settings, I checked them and found that nothing has changed. In fact I can play HD Master audio from XBMC using the "DENON-AVRHD (WASAPI)" as the audio device.

I cannot think of anything else I can check .. any suggestions please?
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing HD bitstream - No audio device
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 04:46:28 pm »

Do you have the dtsdecoderdll.dll file on your computer?
See the Wiki http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray

EDIT (for anyone reading this in the future): Flydeep is correct that the dll file is not needed for bit streaming.

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 05:25:57 pm »

I never had to copy this before .. but for bitstreaming do you need a decoder?

Do you have the dtsdecoderdll.dll file on your computer?
See the Wiki http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray

--

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Playing HD bitstream - No audio device [solved - due to buffering settings]
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 12:14:38 am »

I figured out what the problem is:
It is due to the settings in options>Audio>Device Settings>Buffering> (value > 100 ms)
The error of "Change audio device" is quite different from what I expected to be. For users from a search engine: Change the value to 100ms as recommended by JR and see how it behaves. If you still see issues while playing a video in theater mode, right click>go to madvr settings and disable "General Settings" > disable window mode and exclusive mode, these are two different sub options.

I found the answer to my issue, hoping it will help another JR MC user.

--

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 11:21:34 am »

You do not.

That is only required when NOT Bitstreaming and then ONLY for DTS-MA sources.

It is covered in great detail on the wiki.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:29:46 pm »

glynor - Thanks, that's what I thought so too.

1. Do you know why the screen goes blank when exiting from a playing media with madvr>full-screen exclusive is turned on? I did not have that before and I feel the exclusive mode provided additional video clarity.
2. My video sometimes stutters and I wanted to increase the buffering to 250ms, that triggered the audio device not compatible. Why should the buffering affect the audio device? I imagine the buffering is something that is internally handled by the MC.

You do not.

That is only required when NOT Bitstreaming and then ONLY for DTS-MA sources.

It is covered in great detail on the wiki.
--

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Playing HD bitstream - No audio device [Solved]
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »

The buffer setting doesn't do what you think it does.

That is the size of the Audio Device (hardware) buffer.  It should generally not be changed unless it is to work with a specific DAC that has other requirements. More does not make it better.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up