INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The folder shows up but no content  (Read 5316 times)

BHT

• Recent member
The folder shows up but no content
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:24:51 am »

:'( I am a newbie but I did read a bit before I downloaded the trail sample of JRiver to try with the Qnap NAS running Minimsever to create playlists with.  I probably should have waited a bit before I downloaded this because I knew I would not have time to play around with it but I did anyway.   When I first downloaded JRiver I was successful in creating a small playlist that showed up in Minimserver.  Just recently I went back to play the content inside the playlist again and found the playlist empty.  I have this weekend off so I tried to create another playlist; the Playlist is there inside Minimserver but again no content.  Maybe the trail period has elapsed or this software will not work reliably with this Qnap/Minimserver combo.  I was going to purchase this software if it worked but I can’t afford to pay for something that is glitchy.  I know about relative paths, m3u and the path is correct for the export.  Does anyone have an idea of why this is happening?
Help…..

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: The folder shows up but no content
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:44:08 am »

So you've exported a playlist from MC to your NAS running minimserver using relative paths and had it playing correctly from within the minimserver interface. So after this point, MC is out of the equation. The playlist then appears empty during subsequent attempts to play files from within minimserver. This means that either minimserver (or some other program that accesses your NAS) is altering the playlists or your files have moved.

BHT

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 12:47:58 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  So if I create a new playlist, send it over to the NAS and see the folder in Kinsky but there is no content then it is the QNAP NAS that is the problem?  All of my CD's that I have ripped are all there on the NAS and nothing else seems to be missing so I am confused here.  Should I try and download JRiver again?  As soon as we can get this straightened out I will make the purchase but not before then.  Please help

BHT

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 01:25:59 pm »

So I checked to see where both of the Playlist folders that I created in JRiver were located on the NAS and they were both in the same folder that all of my ripped CD's are in, the Multimedia folder.  I went ahead and removed both of the playlists that I had created to start fresh.  How do I go about completely removing JRiver so I can re-download it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:54:07 pm »

I don't think minimserver will recognize MC's playlists.

BHT

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 04:13:13 pm »

Initially I created a playlist with JRiver where I was able to play the songs from the playlist with no problem.  So JRiver should still work.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:46:27 am »

You could try using the m3u8 format since it appears compatible with minimserver. You might run into the same issue or it could magically fix it. Unfortunately I don't think any of us are experts with the NAS software you are using.

As long as the playlist is properly constructed it can't be an MC issue, so you might have more luck with minimserver's support team.

BHT

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 06:54:36 pm »

I just tried M3u8, M3u extended and M3u simple.  I see the playlist folder in Kinsky but there are no songs.  I imported a CD and put the songs in the playlist I created.  I even played the songs from that playlist in JRiver.  After that I then right clicked on that playlist and chose export.  I tried all three formats with relative paths checked. Is there a status indicator that shows progress in JRiver when the files are being exported?  I just do not know what else to try.  Any help would be much appreciated.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 01:36:07 am »

I just tried M3u8, M3u extended and M3u simple.  I see the playlist folder in Kinsky but there are no songs.  I imported a CD and put the songs in the playlist I created.  I even played the songs from that playlist in JRiver.  After that I then right clicked on that playlist and chose export.  I tried all three formats with relative paths checked. Is there a status indicator that shows progress in JRiver when the files are being exported?  I just do not know what else to try.  Any help would be much appreciated.

The m3u format is not complicated. After you export the playlists, open one up in a text editor and make sure that the file locations are correct for your NAS.

BHT

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 02:49:08 am »

I feel like I am lost here :'(.  I have two TEST Playlists on My Qnap located in the Multimedia folder that do show up in the LINN Kinsky app but have nothing in them.  Do I right click on the test playlist folder that is empty on the QNAP and copy that into note pad or word?  I am just not sure here.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:50:48 am »

I feel like I am lost here :'(.  I have two TEST Playlists on My Qnap located in the Multimedia folder that do show up in the LINN Kinsky app but have nothing in them.  Do I right click on the test playlist folder that is empty on the QNAP and copy that into note pad or word?  I am just not sure here.

OK, I think we need to back up here since it appears we have a nomenclature issue in our line of discussion.

1. What do you mean by playlist? A playlist is a single file, generally in the .m3u format, that points to the existing music on a drive and tells the player to play those file in a certain order.

For instance, here is the entire contents of a simple .m3u file:
M:\My Music\Fleet Foxes\(2008) Fleet Foxes\111 - Fleet Foxes - Oliver James.flac
M:\My Music\Fruit Bats\(2011) Tripper\111 - Fruit Bats - Picture of a Bird.mp3
M:\My Music\alt-J\(2012) An Awesome Wave\110 - alt-J - Fitzpleasure.mp3
M:\My Music\Fruit Bats\(2005) Spelled In Bones\105 - Fruit Bats - Born In The 70's.flac
M:\My Music\alt-J\(2012) An Awesome Wave\103 - alt-J - Tessellate.mp3
M:\My Music\Fleet Foxes\(2008) Fleet Foxes\104 - Fleet Foxes - Tiger Mountain Peasant Song.flac
M:\My Music\Various\(2007) Across The Universe\111 - Jim Sturgess - Across The Universe.mp3
M:\My Music\Crosby, Stills & Nash\(2005) Crosby, Stills & Nash_ Greatest Hits\108 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Our House.mp3
M:\My Music\Fruit Bats\(2003) Mouthfuls\104 - Fruit Bats - The Little Acorn.mp3
M:\My Music\Animal Collective\(2009) Merriweather Post Pavilion\102 - Animal Collective - My Girls.flac
M:\My Music\Fleet Foxes\(2011) Helplessness Blues\106 - Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues.mp3
M:\My Music\Fruit Bats\(2009) The Ruminant Band\108 - Fruit Bats - Singing Joy To The World.flac
M:\My Music\Paul Simon\(1977) Greatest Hits, Etc\111 - Paul Simon - American Tune.mp3
M:\My Music\The Beatles\(1969) Abbey Road\107 - The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun.flac
M:\My Music\The Shins\(2001) Oh, Inverted World\106 - The Shins - New Slang.flac
M:\My Music\My Morning Jacket\(2008) Evil Urges\108 - My Morning Jacket - Librarian.mp3
M:\My Music\The Shins\(2007) Wincing The Night Away\101 - The Shins - Sleeping Lessons.flac
M:\My Music\Fruit Bats\(2003) Mouthfuls\102 - Fruit Bats - A Bit Of Wind.mp3
M:\My Music\Animal Collective\(2007) Strawberry Jam\105 - Animal Collective - Fireworks.flac
M:\My Music\Fruit Bats\(2005) Spelled In Bones\103 - Fruit Bats - TV Waves.flac
M:\My Music\The Shins\(2012) Port of Morrow\102 - The Shins - Simple Song.mp3

2. What you have stated thus far (at least in my interpretation) is that you have your complete music collection stored on your NAS running minimserver. You have imported (scanned) that music into MC on your PC and wish to create playlists (.m3u files!) that you then export to your NAS so that minimserver can read those .m3u files and play your music in the correct order. You are using relative paths because the location you are exporting the playlists (.m3u fles!) to (your NAS) will not have the same absolute filepaths as your PC sees them (as a network drive, aka //YOUR-SERVER/Music and not /home/user/music).

Is this all correct?
Pages: [1]   Go Up