INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rules dialog needs vertical scroll bar (buttons off screen)  (Read 1954 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!
Rules dialog needs vertical scroll bar (buttons off screen)
« on: August 31, 2014, 04:54:44 pm »

Hi,

I have a special rule-set for an Audio View Scheme which has over forty (40) individual rules.

The buttons at the bottom of the dialog are no longer accessible because the window is too large (vertically); it needs the vertical scroll bar function to be implemented, I guess.

Please see attached screencap.jpg ... will make the problem obvious.  ;)

FYI - The "Name contains <various>" rules are all musical key-related; I use these extensively to search for certain tunes/pieces for instrumental practicing purposes.

Thanks!

Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rules dialog needs vertical scroll bar (buttons off screen)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 05:40:27 pm »

Hi

wow that must be a record ... just a suggestion why not  do this in a text editor like Notepad++ and then paste it into the expression box (click the import/export) button, instead of putting this into the wizard. Would that solve the problem?

Question :  would it be a good idea to add a field like Key and link it like Artist - Album. Song Name - Key of ?

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 05:43:10 pm »

That's what I'm doing, actually.

It's just that after I complete the paste operation, the resulting dialog looks like the screencap (it "creates" the rules as though they were typed in manually); and the buttons at the bottom are still not available.
Derek Pert

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:58:08 am »

You can get access to those buttons in two three ways that I can think of...

1. From your text editor, make sure the whole expression is on a single line, copy it, and just paste it into the first field of the editor, and when you click on OK, MC will break it all down for you. Naturally, when you next open it, it will look like it does in your screencap.

2. Right click in the top left corner of the wizard, on the title bar itself, and you should get the menu shown as attached below. Click on "Move" and then use the cursor keys to move the wizard window up until you see the buttons.

3. The third is option is not so immediate result-wise, but I'm thinking there has to be a way to streamline what you are doing, as that seems like serious overkill to me. Is there no other common denominator for those files? If not, a regex based solution may be available to you, but I am not familiar enough with regex to have a go on your behalf, or to ask the right questions to be able to help you in that regard.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:59:12 am »

To your suggestions:

1) Agreed; however, this still does not deal with the root problem

2) Agreed; however this is crude work-around which is only needed when an application does not have a scroll-bar implemented - very 1990s! ;)

3) The only common element would be the brackets (xxxxx) but those might be used elsewhere, e.g. a year or something; I cannot see a way to capture all the musical key expressions other than to list them all discretely

Thanks!
Derek Pert

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:25:38 am »

If this was just a once in a lifetime thing ok. But if you use this all of the time, why wouldn't you just create a key signature field. You could even add an additional modal field too.

If fore some reason they have to be combined you could still do that.

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 01:13:08 pm »

The files concerned need to be able to "travel" to potentially any 3rd pty. application and retain the key spec., up front and in a clear way. Of course, this does not exclude tagging the files in the filename and using a proprietary JRiver custom field or two, but it makes for more steps when I want to actually add this metadata. Will consider this, though.

The wild number of separate lines is kind of crazy, I admit, but this still doesn't eliminate the need for the basic scrollbar function to be implemented on a dialog window when its contents pass a certain threshold size; I still think it's an omission, even if such a scrollbar would rarely see the light of day. ;)
Derek Pert
Pages: [1]   Go Up