INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS: what am I paying for?  (Read 4774 times)

Denti

• Citizen of the Universe
NAS: what am I paying for?
« on: October 27, 2014, 07:43:58 am »

I'm looking into building or buying some kind of server, preferably something with 8 bays for 8x5GB drives. I see that 8-bay NAS systems start at $1k. What am I paying for with these?

Put another way: what are the advantages of one of these NAS systems over just getting an 8-bay enclosure and hooking it up to an old HTPC? or even just getting a cheap mobo and installing Linux?

Re: NAS: what am I paying for?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:46 am »

You're paying for a pre-built device that you just need to load up with drives and switch on rather than having to build, install, or configure anything.

sturmj

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 01:52:03 am »

have you looked at the free nas operating systems? i.e. freenas, nas4free.  You can set up a server for about $250 (minus HDs)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 04:49:23 am »

You're paying for a pre-built device that you just need to load up with drives and switch on rather than having to build, install, or configure anything.

Plus, some come with add on modules both OEM and 3rd party that can bolt on a range of applications. It can take out some hassle and development effort. It can also add it in, when things go off track. Trust me, I know.

With what I know now, I'd go more DIY, but casting back to the time I took the plunge, I didn't know enough to confidently go that path. In hindsight I think I did the right thing for me.

So, it depends what you're up for and how skilled you are. Also, guys like jmone go for deals like drivebender. Search on the forum and you should find his feedback.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 06:31:38 am »

If you're comfortable building and configuring PCs, I'm not sure there's any reason to buy a pre-fab NAS, but that's a big "if"  ;D If I didn't like fiddling with PCs, I probably would have just shelled out and bought a NAS; even "turnkey" DIY NAS solutions like freenas require some specialized knowledge to work with.

But if you don't mind PC-building/configuration, you can get much better performance for the money just doing it yourself.  You can build an x86-64 home fileserver for much less than many NAS boxes cost.  As described over here, I built one earlier this year for around $150 excluding harddrives (with parts on sale). It does everything a NAS does, plus can run a full version of Linux or Windows (mine currently runs Debian).  And it can run Media Center on it as a library server which is currently not possible with commercial NAS boxes.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:56:30 pm »

And it can run Media Center on it as a library server which is currently not possible with commercial NAS boxes.

For Thecus, that comment may not apply. They have a Debian module:
http://forum.thecus.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7345
I was thinking of trying this out and than seeing whether MC for Linux would install and work. Time limits me but the intent is there.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 02:25:47 pm »

Report back if you get it working! Nobody on the forum has (to my knowledge) managed to get MC to run on a NAS-box yet, you could be a pioneer  ;D

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 03:28:11 pm »

I got close. I think it actually ran once. I'm convinced it can work but I didn't have the time to complete it.

Denti

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »

What would be the advantage to having MC on the NAS?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 07:19:39 pm »

What would be the advantage to having MC on the NAS?

If you use MC in a library server configuration, then anytime you want to use a client, you need a computer somewhere on and running MC to be the server (or if not on, at least is reachable/wakeable).  If you have a number of clients and want things to be easy for less technically inclined members of the house, that means you effectively need a computer that's always or usually on.  If the computer you're using as a server doesn't have enough storage so you add a NAS to the mix, then you need both a computer and a NAS on all the time.  If you could run MC as a server on a NAS, then you only need to have one box on all the time, and if that box happens to be very power efficient (like most NAS boxes), that's even better.  

It wouldn't be quite as versatile as just having a library server computer with plenty of drive bays because the processors in most NAS units wouldn't be up to any serious transcoding, but for audio only or a setup that doesn't require any video transcoding, it'd be an ideal low-power all in one solution for folks who don't want to do a DIY build.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 07:30:55 pm »

The distinction between a NAS and a computer is a fine line.  Any NAS is a computer.  Probably more important is the power usage.

Denti

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 08:57:20 pm »

Recommendations for low-powered Mobo for use with such a set-up? I have an old HTPC case that I could use with 6 bays. A couple fans, a low-powered motherboard and I'd be set. Or I go for something like a Mediasonic ProBox and hook it up to a NUC.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 09:07:10 pm »

I use one of these in my fileserver: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138393

1) It's $75 for the MoBo and an integrated dual-core processor.
2) It can run full-bore x86-64 operating systems (I run 64-bit Debian on it)
3) It can run MC (it's x86 compatible and supports SSE4).
4) It has four driver headers on the board, and a PCI-E slot if you want to add a controller for more.
5) In my setup it uses between 15 and 20 watts at idle as measured by a Kill-a-Watt meter.  That's with a 500W Gold rated power supply and three hard drives.  It uses about a watt and a half when asleep (but I don't let mine sleep).

Extremely happy with it for the price.

Denti

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 09:13:03 pm »

Recommendations for power supply.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 09:18:39 pm »

I had a rosewill 500W sitting around the house left over from another build; I'd just focus on getting something efficient (bronze rated or better) that fits the case you already have.  They don't sell the one I used anymore, but it was similar to this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066
Pages: [1]   Go Up