INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie installation question  (Read 1479 times)

BruceAck

Newbie installation question
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:58:46 am »

I want to try Media Center 20 and wonder if the installation will automatically make recommended/optimal settings based on my PC.  I am running Windows 7 using the onboard Realtek audio with S/PDIF direct to a pair of Vanatoo Transparent One speakers with a built-in DAC.  Research tells me I will want to use either ASIO or WASAPI, but I don't know if my system has either capability.  Also will I need to manually set sample rate and bit depth?  My speaker literature states "The speaker's D2Audio digital amp and its integrated DSP (Digital Signal Processor) converts all incoming data to 24/48".

I apologize for the basic questions but this is new territory for me.  I love my speakers and am anxious to see if Media Center will actually improve the sound quality.

Thanks in advance!
Bruce

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Newbie installation question
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:02:21 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

Your system will have WASAPI.  ASIO is supplied by the audio device maker.  Either is fine.  Here's more on audio setup:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

Initially, you can just accept the defaults and try MC a little.  After you're comfortable with it, try making changes. 

My signature has a link to Getting Started.

BruceAck

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:17:18 pm »

Thanks for the quick response Jim.  I listen to Sirius on my pc quite a bit and wonder if Media Center will improve that sound quality or if it's limited to the quality of the source?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:30:27 pm »

No.  There is no connection with Sirius.

BruceAck

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 06:10:50 am »

So only audio files stored on my pc pass through Media Center and anything "internet streaming", Sirius, Youtube, Amazon prime music, etc doesn't?

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:54:36 am »

So only audio files stored on my pc pass through Media Center and anything "internet streaming", Sirius, Youtube, Amazon prime music, etc doesn't?
Loopback (File → Open Live → WASAPI Loopback) will capture audio from any other application running on your system.

In a future update to MC20, there will be a WDM driver which allows Media Center to show up as a virtual soundcard on your PC, so that audio automatically plays through Media Center without requiring Loopback to be enabled.

P.S. If you plan on using it a lot, you may find it useful to enable Loopback, and then assign it to one of the "Car Radio" buttons in Playing Now. (click and hold on one of the #1-12 buttons)
Pages: [1]   Go Up