INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Enter on any field in Theater View will show files that match that search  (Read 1893 times)

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe

First, let me say that this is awesome.  I had been hoping for something like this for a long time.  Thank you for implementing it.

A few suggestions for improving/refining it:
1) Artist and Genre in Audio don't always sort the same way for me.  Sometimes it is alphabetical Track Names (examples Grateful Dead or Rock) and sometimes it is grouped by Album -> Track # (examples Ray Charles or Blues).  Is there a way to control this?  Or keep it consistent?  
2) When you click on Season, would it be possible to limit it to Episodes within that Series?
3) Would it be possible to limit Genre to the current Media Sub Type?
4) When you click on Critic Rating, would it be possible to show a range?  Right now it only shows Movies with exactly that rating (for example 7.2).  Maybe have it show all movies with a 7.xx rating?  

The way it handles list Fields for things like Artist, Actor, Keywords, etc is phenomenal.  Very well done.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Media Center 20.0.12 -- Available here
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:05:15 pm »

NEW: Enter on any field in Theater View will show files that match that search (instead of toggling the expanded state).
Thank you!!!

Suggestion/Request... can we please have a way to edit the views that show up... when i click on kevin kostner for example, or john malkovich under actors, it shows all the movies but also all tv episodes they are in. would it be possible to edit this list so that if it's a tv show or movie series that it combines the episodes/series... making our list much smaller, and neater looking?
Thanks again for adding this to theaterview... works great!

Hendrik

• Administrator

These are the limitations we always mentioned when this feature was brought up before.  Those views are automatically assembled, so making them smart or customizable is not really thing.
We can hardcode a few rules for some pre-defined fields, but thats probably about it for now.

Who is to say whats expected behavior though? If I select an actor, why would I only want TV Shows, and not everything he played in? etc.
Without being able to customize the views (which would be very hard to do), adding restrictions on top may work for some people, but not for others, so its hard.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

I may be "doing it wrong" (or it may be something in my setup), but I'm having a really hard time with this feature.  The first problem is that I when I scroll down a field list, the currently selected field isn't highlighted at all.  So I can't really tell what I'm searching on without counting button presses.  The good news is that when I count down and know what I'm clicking on the search seems to work correctly.

Related to that problem is that I can't seem to navigate "into" list fields (pressing down again seems to just move to the next field, but it's hard to tell because nothing is highlighted).  So I can't seem to find a way to search on a specific actor for example.

Is this expected behavior?  I'm using the default skin in theater view [EDIT: apparently not, see below] so I'm not sure what might be different about my setup.  I have done some limited customization of some of my views, but I also have some stock views, and I couldn't see different behavior with stock views and custom views, so that doesn't seem likely to be the culprit.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I may be "doing it wrong" (or it may be something in my setup), but I'm having a really hard time with this feature.  The first problem is that I when I scroll down a field list, the currently selected field isn't highlighted at all.  So I can't really tell what I'm searching on without counting button presses.  The good news is that when I count down and know what I'm clicking on the search seems to work correctly.

Try the Obsidian skin.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Try the Obsidian skin.

Ok, thanks, I'll try Obsidian when I get home.  I'm on Noire now.  Quick (maybe dumb) question: is Noire not the default skin for theater view? I try to keep my skins set to the defaults for maximum compatibility.

Hendrik

• Administrator

Related to that problem is that I can't seem to navigate "into" list fields (pressing down again seems to just move to the next field, but it's hard to tell because nothing is highlighted).  So I can't seem to find a way to search on a specific actor for example.

Thats not supported, it'll search for the entire field, ie. with a list of actors, it'll list all movies where any take part in, IIRC.

Quick (maybe dumb) question: is Noire not the default skin for theater view? I try to keep my skins set to the defaults for maximum compatibility.

Noire is the default Standard View Skin, Obsidian the Theater View skin.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team

Thats not supported, it'll search for the entire field, ie. with a list of actors, it'll list all movies where any take part in, IIRC.

Oh good I'm not going crazy.  Reading the comments above made it sound like they were somehow searching on individual actors, which baffled me when I tried to do that myself.

Noire is the default Standard View Skin, Obsidian the Theater View skin.

Ok thanks, I must've just gotten the settings turned around at some point.

Hmm, I would mostly use this for directors rather than actors or artists, but it seems like it wouldn't be much use to most people if it does a search on all items in a list, rather than allowing you to select a single actor/artist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up