INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is the new method of volume leveling explained?  (Read 1350 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
Where is the new method of volume leveling explained?
« on: September 13, 2014, 08:48:40 am »

I had all my tracks analyzed in MC18 for replay gain, after those figures were obtained I then adjusted all my tracks with MP3Gain for playing tracks on winamp concurrent with a broadcast module.

Which of the following numbers below equaled what my previous replay gain numbers where as obtained after audio analysis with MC18, also is there an explination of the following info anywhere?

Song analyzed = The Pineapple Thief - Simple as that

numbers obtained=

Volume Level (R128) = -15.3LU
Volume Level (Replay Gain) =  - 10.34db
Dynamic Range (R128) = 13.02LU
Dynamic Range (DR) = 6
Peak Level (R128) = +.02dbtp
Peak Level (sample) = +0.0db

Once again looking for which of the above figures equalled the old replay gain figures and where is the info that can tell mean what each of those six things above means?

Thanks
Terry  :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Where is the new method of volume leveling explained?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 09:47:33 am »

Volume leveling now uses Volume Level (R128).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 10:46:58 am »

Which of the following numbers below equaled what my previous replay gain numbers where as obtained after audio analysis with MC18, also is there an explination of the following info anywhere?
None of those numbers will be equal to the previous values. (ReplayGain v1)

R128 analysis is used now instead of ReplayGain. The new ReplayGain values are calculated from the R128 values (+5dB) which should be equal to ReplayGain v2 values - the same ITU-R BS.1770 analysis method is used for both.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 10:56:46 am »

You asked about all six tags, and the posts above explain the first two.  For the other four: I wrote some long posts about the difference between the two dynamic range figures over in  this thread.  This longer post in that thread provides a practical explanation of the difference. The whole thread is a good resource on what the DR figures mean, with some collateral discussion of the peak figures as well.

DR compares the average and peak loudness, and R128 compares the loudest and quietest parts of the track, but with specific parameters.  R128 Dynamic range is the distance between the 95th percentile for loudness and the 10th percentile for loudness.  This is the case so that track lead ins, momentary silences, or fade outs don't set the bottom of the "dynamic range" and so that one or two very loud noises don't set the top of the range.  That's why R128 DR can actually be lower than the crest-factor DR: if R128 really measured the difference between the absolute quietest part and the absolute loudest part of the track, it would have to (necessarily) be a larger number than the crest factor DR, every time.

Check out the R128 spec for more http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3342.pdf

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 11:54:23 am »

Thanks for answers and the direction to the discussion thread(s) about it.

TC  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up