INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: on-screen display of Volume changes in Theatre View  (Read 2298 times)

BigJ

• Recent member
on-screen display of Volume changes in Theatre View
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:13 am »

When watching a Video (Movie, Show, or Concert) the on-screen display of the Volume is great, it's a clear yet unobtrusive progress bar that also shows the percentage and the output in db.

However, when listening to Music it simply shows the "little dot that moves", with no percentage nor db values, and it's much harder to see and therefore adjust with accuracy.

How can I get MC to always use the on-screen Volume display that's used for Videos for all media types, no matter what, even if I'm flipping through Images while listening to Music?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: on-screen display of Volume changes in Theatre View
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:57:22 am »

I can't reproduce this.  I see the same volume slider with decibels when audio is playing full screen and I adjust the volume.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 11:02:48 am »

If you down arrow to the "little dot that moves" it will show you the percentage/dB level. Use right/left arrow to change volume.

Display View is used for video and you are staying in Theater View for audio. You can use Display View for audio, too. In Tools > Options > Theater View > Behavior change "Jump on play (Audio)" to "Display View".

Once the audio file starts playback in Display View, a backspace takes you back into Theater View. You can also access Display View from Playing Now in Theater View by using the top menu or you can press Ctrl+3 to switch.

You can't get the same volume control behavior in Theater View as in Display View.

BigJ

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 05:11:26 pm »

Perhaps I have some terms confused or don't yet understand the different Views.

When my Win7 htpc boots I have it start MC and load straight to the 'home screen' of Theatre View.

If I select Audio and then select an Album and then Play All, it starts playing and gives me the "dot that moves" widget for Volume when moving Left of Right on the dpad of my Harmony remote (and yes, I now see that if I move the cursor down to the moving dot widget it does finally show the percentage and db values which are otherwise inexplicably hidden (during Audio playback no less, when there's loads of screen real estate)), all of which takes place in Theatre View right?

But, from.the same starting point (the 'home screen' for Theatre View) I select a Video to watch, it uses the other Volume widget (which I find substantially better and much more well suited for Audio playback). Are you saying that when the Video playback starts I'm (unbeknownst to me) not in Theatre View anymore, but in Display View (which has its own/different Volume widget)? So Videos don't actually play in Theatre View, yet Audio does?  Seems a misnomer, no?

If so, why does it switch Views at all (and do so in a manner that seems like it isn't)?  And why use two different Volume widgets at all, based on Media Type?  And why can't either be used in either View, is there a technical reason or just the lack of a user definable option?  MC is a great application, but this part is pretty goofy, and seems backwards at the very least.

How likely is it to see this change in the near term?

Thanks.

BigJ

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 05:43:24 pm »

Also, if it matters, in both cases above (listening to Music or watching Videos and the Volume widgets for each) it's always from across the room using the TV as the monitor and using a Harmony XBOX remote, using MC like a giant JukeBox.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:21:42 pm »

Are you saying that when the Video playback starts I'm (unbeknownst to me) not in Theatre View anymore, but in Display View (which has its own/different Volume widget)? So Videos don't actually play in Theatre View, yet Audio does?  Seems a misnomer, no?

Yes, video playback is in Display View. Due to the way full screen video works and for the best experience, Display View handles things differently and allows for the volume slider/widget. It isn't currently possible to do the same thing in Theater View (I've asked before). You can launch audio in Display View like I previously mentioned and can easily switch between the two views for when you need to browse.

You can play a video in Theater View and watch it, but it is smaller and fits where the cover art is when playing audio.

There are a lot of times that I use Display View when listening to audio when I want the progress and volume display that Display View offers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up