INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MadVr HQ stutter  (Read 8051 times)

crawfofd

• World Citizen
MadVr HQ stutter
« on: September 07, 2014, 10:35:46 am »

I am having problems setting up MadVr(HQ) to be consistent. Sometimes it plays ok and sometimes it stutters. MadVR Standard plays good.

Here is my setup.
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
AMD Phenom II x6 1100 w/16gb ram
Nvidia GTX 750ti 2gb mem
Media Center 20.0.1.12.0
JRMark 2594
Ceton Infinity 4 cable card

I know my computer hardware should run Media Center no problem, so it must be my settings.  Any advice/recommendations?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MadVr HQ stuter
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:39:35 am »

The machine may not be enough.

Red October Standard may be your only choice.

connersw

Re:
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:14:25 pm »

You should be able handle ROHQ for most video with that machine.  You may just need to adjust the scaling settings in MadVR so that it handles all.

See:  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Madvr_expert_guide

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
Re: MadVr HQ stutter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 08:32:48 am »

What are your MadVR settings?

Enabling *everything* to max will kill most machines, especially if you're trying to upscale 720p to 1080p :)

Try dialing down a few settings as a first step, and post what you've got at the minute & we can advise.

-Leezer-

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:01:49 am »

Hi leezer3 and thanks for your reply.
Originally I followed the recommendations of the madvr guide referenced in connersw's post. I had all scaling set to Bilinear. These settings gave me the stuttering.

I have made a couple of changes to see if these help.  I have a nvidia gtx750ti and changed the PhysX setting to the gpu instead of the cpu. I also changed the following;

chroma upscaling to;   Jinc 3 taps activate anti-ringing filter checked
image upscaling to;     Jinc 3 taps activate anti-ringing filter checked
image downscaling to; Catmll-Rom activate anti-ringing filter and scale in linear light both checked

Just started viewing, will let you know if it helps.  If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

connersw

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:54:09 am »

I'm not 100% up to speed on all the changes Hendrik has made on hardware acceleration, and if MadVR settings over ride it, but it may not hurt trying it ticked on and off (Options -> Video -> General Video Settings -> Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible).

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 11:59:34 am »

I don't think PhysX should make any difference, although I stand to be corrected on that one....

Those settings aren't obscene, and I would hope that the GTX750 should handle them for most content. What exactly are you testing with at the moment? (Resolution and approximate bitrate if you know them)

If you hit CTRL+J whilst the video is playing, this should bring up the MadVR OSD- Rather than saying the rather unclear 'stutter', this should give you some good stats on what's actually happening :)
What we need is the dropped and delayed frames figures- You will probably get 10 to 20 here when the video first starts, but they should not be increasing after this.

If they're not increasing, then the problem isn't in the video rendering; This could be all manner of things, so we won't try going there until we've figured out the basics.

-Leezer-

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 04:30:41 pm »

leezer3,
The resolution I'm using is 1920x1080 and not sure about bitrate. Its television (cable). I tried using the ctrl-j to get the madr-osd but I get something different it runs the updater program for mc.  I'm using mc20 if that makes a difference?  I tried looking on line to find out how to bring up the madr-osd buty the fix I found did not work. I made sure that the tray icon was not disaabled. I've tried everything still not able to get madr-osd.

Update: changing my settings didnt help the stutter. I now think it might have something to do with dual monitors. One is a display the other is tv. Both digital.  I changed from extended screens to clone screens and the stutter seems to have stopped. I have only been testing a short while but so far so good.  I will update in a few hours.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 05:12:28 pm »

Try updating your drivers from nVidia's site.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 06:11:26 pm »

Thanks BryanC.  I have the current nvidia drivers.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 02:53:06 am »

Are you using video smoothing to convert all output rates to a single fixed refresh rate?  In MC18 this method worked for me but with MC19 I had constant video stuttering.  The only way I could resolve was to have MC use the native refresh rates for each source.  This added the overhead of HDMI handshaking when rates changed but completely resolved my stutters.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 12:37:24 pm »

SOLVED:
Well I solved my stuttering problem with mc20.  It seems that if you have two displays and you use the extended mode, you get stuttering using madr(hq). At least in my case that was the problem.  I changed my video mode to clone and the stuttering stopped.  This also only happened in Theatre view. 

Thanks all who helped me with my problem. It's nice to have a support group that is active.

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 01:17:46 pm »

Sorry, I somehow overlooked this topic.
madVR should be able to support extended displays.

Were you configuring it on the display that you were wanting to watch it on, or configuring it on one and moving it over? It will create profiles for each display automatically.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 01:44:54 pm »

6233638  Thanks for your response. I was configuring it on one display than moving it. So I need to configure it on the display I am going to use it on.  How does the seperate profiles get produced/saved?

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 01:53:10 pm »

Each display will show up in the "Devices" section of the madVR preference window.
You can set up the refresh rates for each display there.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 02:11:59 pm »

Thanks 6233638, I'll try it see if I can get it to work..  Would you by any chance know why I can't get the madvr-osd to come up with ctrl-j.  I have two systems, a laptop running windows 8.1  and a desktop running windows 7.  The laptop displays the madvr-osd with no problem, but the desktop does not.  Both are running the new mc20.14...  It's not a must have, but it does make it nice to be able to see what is happening video wise.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 02:17:32 pm »

If I remember correctly, Media Center likes to hijack the commands when certain remote control options are enabled. I forget the specifics though, as I just disabled it and left things alone.

crawfofd

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 02:34:26 pm »

Thanks for info,  I have usb-uirt and keyboard devices enabled.  I shut them off but still the same results.  Everytine I hit ctrl-j I get Media Center Update check in the action window. Seems wierd.  Its almost like my ctrl-j is mapped to something else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up