INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 HTPCs : Best way to Set Up User Accounts?  (Read 7724 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Windows 10 HTPCs : Best way to Set Up User Accounts?
« on: March 24, 2016, 05:35:34 pm »

I've been setting up my dedicated HTPC with a Local Guest and Admin account, and the HTPC then boots into the Guest account without having to enter any details...  but I've been having issues with one where the Admin Account either keeps expiring or now I've got it complaining that the Admin Password is wrong (can not install anything or get into the Admin Account).  I'm about to re image it from a backup, but:

...for dedicated HTPC on Win10 what is the "best" way of setting up user accounts?  Ideally I want the "main" account to just boot and have access to play stuff, and an admin account for installation and maintenance of stuff (including the odd Windows Store app if possbile).

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jachin99

Re: Windows 10 HTPCs : Best way to Set Up User Accounts?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 04:17:29 pm »

I put all of my media in the public folder, and share it with everybody.  As long as you don't give everyone write permissions, they should not be able to change it.  There is a huge article about windows 8.1 sharing on how to geek, and user accounts out there somewhere.  You might be able to setup homegroup also, and Linux android, and I think MAC can all read SMB files.
 http://www.howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/lesson5/all/

audunth

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 02:52:36 pm »

Haha topic sounded like a contest where you were giving away 10 HTPCs.  ;D

I've always just let my HTPC auto log in to an account with my name and admin rights. Which is separate from the Administrator account (but same rights). Then again, I live by myself and don't have to worry about others messing with my computers. I'm still on Windows 7, this is not ment to be of technical help, just a general possibility.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:29:44 am »

Haha topic sounded like a contest where you were giving away 10 HTPCs.  ;D
Thats what it says! I want one!

I think user accounts are more of a pain than they are worth. I set up one user with full admin rights, no password. Easy. Use a dedicted machine for your server. Not your workstation.

My opinion, old school parenting still works. You have young kids, well they should be supervised, not user controlled - again my opinion of course. If you have really gone over to the dark side, maybe you shouldn't be sharing it even with consenting adults !  ;D

You have teenagers, and you think you can control them by permissions, stop dreaming - When my kids hit 12 they new how to reconfigure a router. They mess with the media, just take away their cell phone  ;D 

You have mentally challenged people (or your spouse suffers from chronic noobism) accessing your system, have good backups.

If you are using this for pro-reasons -- like your Hotel, Bar, Club, Radio Station .. and you really need this ...but you only paid 50 bucks. What d'ya expect! Call JRiver and have them do a custom module -- they do that you know. Probably put custom branding on it for you, to boot!  ;D

Let me know if I won Nathan !!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 05:39:04 am »

I don't know what you are talking about  ;)
JRiver CEO Elect

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 03:53:18 am »

I don't know what you are talking about  ;)
ha ha .. i caught our-man-from-down-under out!!!  ;D

He changed the post title, no fair  :P

for posterity it was more like

Windows 10 HTPCs : Whats the best way to Set Up User Accounts?

Just NUCs with i5s+Iris HDgraphics will do, don't expect fancy (as there are 10 to give away, looks like all posters win, unless there are other contenders adding to to the thread.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 06:17:54 am »

Still looks OK to me!  ;)
JRiver CEO Elect

Arindelle

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 12:58:57 pm »

Still looks OK to me!  ;)
HA!!! The "admin" rewrote my own POST ..... arff I give up .. temporarily  ;)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 03:48:13 pm »

;D
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 01:21:05 am »

HA!!! The "admin" rewrote my own POST ..... arff I give up .. temporarily  ;)
Wait!  Don't give up!  Great news for you!  You have been selected among 3 entries to receive 10 computers.  And they are ... Australian!!!

Shipping not included.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 02:00:07 am »

The rest are one of Jim's favourite models
JRiver CEO Elect

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 02:42:13 am »

Wait!  Don't give up!  Great news for you!  You have been selected among 3 entries to receive 10 computers.  And they are ... Australian!!!

Shipping not included.
;D shipping not included?!  does the assistant come with it at least?

at least a NUC would work on dc convertor I can get  ... does that mean my machine comes with that very attractive Plug Type 1 used also in Papua New Guinea, Uruguay and the cosmopolitan Tajikistan?

The rest are one of Jim's favourite models

hmmf really .. but thats not even Australian ... my fav Australian exports are currently

Rose Byrne, Yvonne Strahovski and Alycia Debnam-Carey (and plz do not crush me by saying I'm too old for the latter -- Long Live hedda LEXA !!! https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/8/8f/20160207141220!Lexa,_from_the_series_%22The_100%22.jpg)

I'd be up to exchange my prize for a date, would that work - I'd be a perfect gentleman, promise! BTW do any Australian actresses actually live in Australia?
Pages: [1]   Go Up