INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beholding the beast  (Read 1602 times)

Claude Lapalme

• World Citizen
Beholding the beast
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:43:30 am »

Ok maybe there is a steeper leaning curve with MC, but its easier than Photoshop or Cad/Cam software like AutoCad ... so thats not a selling point.

I LOVE JRiver! But I tried it once and dropped it quickly because I was confused. I retried two years later and "got it". Many have suggested that a system of wizards could be a good idea. I happen to agree, even though at this point I obviously don't need one. I wonder how many people had the same reaction I had upon beholding the beast ...

• Citizen of the Universe
Beholding the beast
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:35:04 am »

I LOVE JRiver! But I tried it once and dropped it quickly because I was confused. I retried two years later and "got it". Many have suggested that a system of wizards could be a good idea. I happen to agree, even though at this point I obviously don't need one. I wonder how many people had the same reaction I had upon beholding the beast ...
It was a similar story for me too. Though it wasn't that the program was too complex, it's that it did not do a good job advertising why I would want to use Media Center over anything else.
Now that I understand how powerful the library & views system is, I probably wouldn't use anything else, but it requires time and effort in wanting to learn the program - which most people are not prepared to do.

There is a lot of work to be done, to make it as user-friendly as something like iTunes or Sonos.

Once it's actually configured how you like it, using the system is not too difficult for most people. Getting it to that point is.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Beholding the beast
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:38:00 am »

Please never put the words :user-friendly" and iTunes near each other.

ITunes is probably the worst piece of software that I have ever had to use.

Dave

Beholding the beast
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:48:46 am »

Please never put the words :user-friendly" and iTunes near each other.
ITunes is probably the worst piece of software that I have ever had to use.
To be honest, I haven't used it much lately myself.

It is certainly very frustrating to use as a "power user" but when you don't try to ask too much of it, and let it handle all the library management, it seems like it works just fine.

Anyone I know that's not using Media Center, is using iTunes and is happy with it - especially the zero-config AirPlay Speaker setup.

connersw

Re: Beholding the beast
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40:12 am »

But I tried it once and dropped it quickly because I was confused. I retried two years later and "got it".

I wonder how many people had the same reaction I had upon beholding the beast ...

Very similar experience.  My first interaction with MC was extremely negative.  I didn't understand the layout, why it was Importing my files the way it was, how to configure it, etc.  I immediately uninstalled it and did not give it a second look for several years.

As I upgraded my audio system, and the quality of my Library, I began looking for better playback options.  JRiver is highly regarded in the Audiophile community, so I gave it another shot.  I spent some time configuring Views, got to know the interface a bit, and I had a somewhat better experience.  However, I had also installed MC because I wanted an all-in-one media playback system, and trying to set up DLNA was nearly impossible.  I received very little help from the Media Network forum, and I never got it right.  I left it installed, but I didn't really use it for its full capabilities for another 2-years.  Probably only because I had the time due to certain life circumstances, did I spend the time with MC19 to really understand the software and what it could do.  DLNA still does not do everything I would like it to do though, and there is still limited to no support for it.  

The power and customization of JRiver is undeniable.  The average consumer wants something that "just works" straight out of the box though.  How many average consumers use AutoCad or even Photoshop?  They want something to quickly take out red eye and maybe resize or crop.  I think the key is finding a balance with ease of use and a suitable user-interface (ie eye candy) that "just works" for 95% of the customers, but then also has the functionality to be easily configured for that 5% power user audience.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up