INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Control amplifier's volume via MC  (Read 1882 times)

new2hifi

• Recent member
Control amplifier's volume via MC
« on: August 17, 2014, 09:24:48 pm »

How can I control the volume of my amplifier and (turn on/off) via MC18? Can someone please guide me what hardware I need? Where can I buy it? My amplifier has IR control or RS-232 control.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Control amplifier's volume via MC
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 12:36:02 pm »

Simple solution is an intelligent remote like Logitech's Harmony line.  Very happy about my Harmony One...

new2hifi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:35:18 pm »

Simple solution is an intelligent remote like Logitech's Harmony line.  Very happy about my Harmony One...

Thanks rudyrednose! But I want to control the volume, on/off of amplifier from MC18. I have been browsing around and believe there are some IR products which one just plug into PC and then MC18 can send the IR signals to amplifier. However, I am not sure about it as I don't see an official guide for it.

Thus, All please help me understand the chain. What hardware and steps I need to take.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:28:59 am »

Wiki on remote control setup: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Remote_Instructions

You can setup remote control for amplifier power, volume, etc in MC.  Tools > Options > Remote control.  Click Next on the wizard.  On the "Selection" page, select the functions you want to setup (Amplifier Volume up etc.).  Follow the wizard instructions.

The tricky part is to select buttons on the MCE remote control to be used for the functions you want.  You can pick buttons that you do not use for other things.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

new2hifi

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 02:30:44 pm »

Wiki on remote control setup: http://wiki.JRiver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Remote_Instructions

You can setup remote control for amplifier power, volume, etc in MC.  Tools > Options > Remote control.  Click Next on the wizard.  On the "Selection" page, select the functions you want to setup (Amplifier Volume up etc.).  Follow the wizard instructions.

The tricky part is to select buttons on the MCE remote control to be used for the functions you want.  You can pick buttons that you do not use for other things.

Thanks Yaobing! However, perhaps I was unable to describe fully what I want.

I don't want to control MC via Infrared Remote or control my amplifier with a physical remote in hand. But I want to control my amplifier from within MC. For example, if I use volume slider in MC server, MC should send volume commands to amplifier via IR Emitter Cable.

Kindly, guide me if above scenario is possible or not.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 04:20:11 pm »

I see.  I don't think MC can do that.  Anybody else?

MC can control system volume, application volume, or internal volume.  It also controls amplifier volume the way I described - through mapped buttons on a remote with IR blaster.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 01:44:52 am »

I'm with Rudyrednose. I recently got a Harmony smart keyboard.

Now I can lie in bed and adjust the volume of the amp/tv to suit my taste via the phone app. Gizmo is the adjacent app on the phone's gui.

An added benefit is if my other half is watching late night tv, I can turn the volume down without having to ask.. ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up