INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workaround for m3u playlist import failure  (Read 2861 times)

LCtheDJ

Workaround for m3u playlist import failure
« on: February 04, 2002, 12:44:48 pm »

For several builds now I have been reporting that when I use Media Import to import files into the Library, my m3u playlists frequently come over with some of the mp3 file entries missing from them.

I just discoverd a workaround for this.  If MJ is set to work with the Windows shell, I can import the m3u files from a right-click menu in Windows Explorer or other explorer (like Ontrack's PowerDesk) and all the mp3 files DO get included on the Media Library Playlists.

To Matt: I hope this will help you track down what causes the loss of data when importing m3u lists.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Workaround for m3u playlist import failure
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2002, 01:15:59 pm »

Media Jukebox won't add files to the imported playlist that fail to import.  Are any of the files missing or failing to import?

Thanks.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Udo_1

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2002, 01:38:10 pm »

Hi Matt,

I had the same problem. I try to import m3u'2 where the assiocated files were located on a networkpath (//copmuter/dir/files..). All I got was an empty playlist. After mounting the netpass as a drive (y:/dir/files...) everything works fine.

Udo

LCtheDJ

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2002, 02:24:19 pm »

Matt, as reported in the past, the mp3 files are where the m3u files say they are.  If I drag and drop the m3u onto Playing Now, they all show up and play alright.  If I select the playlist on the tree under Mixes, the list of tracks on the right side has some of the tracks missing.  This happens when I use MJ's "File|Library|Import Media..."  It imports correctly if I right-click on an m3u file in Explorer and use "Media Jukebox|Import".

I have one m3u file that lists 7 tracks and the Media Import consistantly leaves off the last track.  Import through shell integration worked like a champ.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2002, 03:58:02 pm »

Oops!  The workaround that worked on 8.0.196, does not work now with 8.0.197.  The one m3u with 7 tracks on it now imports with only 5 tracks listed.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2002, 06:55:23 am »

Matt, it occurred to me that I may not have answered what you were asking.  All the mp3 files were imported.  I did the import of mp3 files only first.  After that completed, then I did the import of the m3u files.  Still some of the entries on the m3u files do not show up in the MJ Playlists even though the mp3 files are in the MJ Media Library.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2002, 07:50:17 am »

OK, I think we finally got it fixed.

MJ was going crazy if some of the files were already imported...

Thanks.

-Matt

LCtheDJ

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2002, 09:23:24 am »

So does that mean it should work if I import only the m3u files first, then the mp3 files?

Do you have a specific reason for importing the m3u lists into the MJ database instead of directly accessing the m3u files?  If MJ accessed the m3u files directly, I wouldn't have to import them, and any changes made to the playlists with MJ would be done instantly so I wouldn't have to export them so other programs could use the revised playlists.

I like MJ a great deal, but until it grows to include all the features I use, I still have to occassionally use other programs too.  Doing so would be much easier without going through imports and exports.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2002, 09:26:42 am »

i think what he is saying is he needs to fix it.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2002, 09:35:38 am »

>So does that mean it should work if I import only the m3u files first, then the mp3 files?

It means everything should work in tonight's build. (if not, please holler)

And why do you want your playlists as .m3u's so badly?  I mean, why export at all?

Anyway, thanks for all your patience with this thing.

-Matt

SeanC

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2002, 09:58:42 am »

I can help address this - I use MixMeister to do beat-mixing and burn mix cds - since MJ has superior organization, I tend to create the playlist in MJ and export as M3u to MixMeister (and vice versa) - hence the need for good M3u support.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2002, 01:24:05 pm »

>And why do you want your playlists as .m3u's so badly? I mean, why export at all?

I thought I had stated why.  As close as MJ is to doing everything, it doesn't quite do it all yet.  Because it doesn't, I still use other programs whose strengths are in the areas that MJ does not yet support.  The other programs use the m3u files, and I use the m3u files back-and-forth between MJ and the other programs.  I use mp3 for DJing (Duh, LC the DJ?) and use the m3u lists to organize specific songs for specific purposes.  MJ is close to being my tool of choice, but there are still a few features I'm campaigning for (find a track on the Playing Now list without leaving the list, and multi pane display).

I'm SURE it will all come together someday soon; the JRiver crew ROCKS!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2002, 02:47:12 pm »

LCtheDJ

if you login, you can go back and modify your messages, and that makes you look smarter

PS: I use it all the time
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LCtheDJ

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2002, 03:58:15 pm »

>go back and modify your messages

Where can that be done?  I did the 'Sign In' thing but saw no place to edit previous posts.  The help page only shows how to do html-like tricks.  Is there a page with directions on editing?  (oops, got off topic)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2002, 04:03:53 pm »

On your messages you should see something like:

-----------------------------------
KingSparta 02-05-2002 06:47:12 P.M.

Profile  |  Modify

-----------------------------------

If you have entered your info.. (name, handle, password etc...)
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up