INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No thumbnails for TV Shows?  (Read 2943 times)

tiger2000

• Junior Woodchuck
No thumbnails for TV Shows?
« on: September 16, 2014, 06:11:16 am »

Hello ;D

I recently bought and installed JR20. Most of my movie posters are done, however after a couple of auto-imports my TV Show thumbnails/posters haven't shown up.
There is a lot of single episodes, and most of the thumbnails aren't working.
However I know they do work, as I have used JR19 trial on an older OS, and did not seem to have many worries with that version. :P

What am I doing wrong? ?

Thanks

connersw

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: No thumbnails for TV Shows?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:14:34 am »

Do you already have the Cover Art you want saved in the same folder as the files or in your specified Cover Art directory?  If so, right click -> Cover Art -> Quick Find in File/Cover Art Directory.  If not, and you would like MC to find it, right click -> Cover -> Art -> Get From Internet.  

A couple things of note.  1) You can configure Import to automatically do the "Get From Internet" step if you check the Get movie & TV info box in your Media Import settings.  2)  Most Episode Cover Art is just a screen capture of the Episode.  It is only the Season and Series Cover Art that is more poster like.  Not sure if that may be throwing you off.  

tiger2000

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:42:30 pm »

Yes I already have Cover Art saved in the same folders as my TV Shows. I did not know you could designate a folder for Cover Art. Is there anyway of reversing this process and obtaining a cover art directory? This could solve the problem.

I tried right clicking on 'dusk til dawn' series, - cover art - then - get from internet, it came up with the correct cover art, but when i saved it, it did not work.
Also, thats what i want, a poster of each season displayed in my TV Shows directory, not a screen capture. I know this does work, as it did it on my last Windows 7 OS with JR19.

It also looks like some of the series list, once i double click on the TV Show, is missing. Some are there, others are not.

?

connersw

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 07:56:29 am »

You may want to start by reading this wiki:  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/TV_Shows_-_Series,_Seasons_%26_Episodes#Cover_Art

The Cover Art directory can be set in Tools -> Options -> File Location -> Cover Art -> Folder.  

The default directory is C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 20\Cover Art

I'm not sure what you mean by "it did not work."  What did it do?  Try checking that Cover Art directory, is the file there?

Also, thats what i want, a poster of each season displayed in my TV Shows directory, not a screen capture. I know this does work, as it did it on my last Windows 7 OS with JR19.

First, do you still have a copy of your MC 19 Library from your old OS?  If so, it may be easier just to restore it (File -> Library -> Restore Library).  

Which TV Show directory are you referring to?  Standard View or Theater View?  In Standard View, right click on the View -> Customize View.  Make sure it is set as View As: Categories and Show Categories In This Order: Series -> Season.  Also, click on the little arrow next to Series in the tab, and make sure it is set to List Style -> Thumbnail.  It should give you a View like the screen shot attached.  Is that what you want?  

It also looks like some of the series list, once i double click on the TV Show, is missing. Some are there, others are not.

I don't fully understand what you are saying here.  Please create a new thread and explain in detail what is happening.  Screenshots would help.

tiger2000

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:52:01 pm »

Thanks for replying connersw.

I checked the cover art folder, it looks like it is set to the default directory, and there is a small amount of cover art located there.
Once I followed your instructions,:

First, do you still have a copy of your MC 19 Library from your old OS?  If so, it may be easier just to restore it (File -> Library -> Restore Library).  

Which TV Show directory are you referring to?  Standard View or Theater View?  In Standard View, right click on the View -> Customize View.  Make sure it is set as View As: Categories and Show Categories In This Order: Series -> Season.  Also, click on the little arrow next to Series in the tab, and make sure it is set to List Style -> Thumbnail.  It should give you a View like the screen shot attached.  Is that what you want?  

It looks like I have deleted most files from my old OS, including the restored library (unless you can tell me where the restored library files are).
So I followed these instructions, and now there is a folder in my standard view called 'unassigned'.

I can right click on that folder, and say 'cover art - get from internet', and it brings up a box with approx 15 of each of the tv shows, and as it checks i can then press 'save cover art and continue', and it will slowly go through all the 'unassigned' shows. (theres way too many tho)
The thing is, i don't know how to view these unassigned shows on the left hand side, like the other 12 shows that have come up. I can click on unassigned, but it does not show as a list of thumbnails like the others..

I'm thinking I may have to uninstall JR20, and reinstall JR19 and just hope that everything will be corrected..

connersw

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:23:22 pm »

Uninstalling MC20 and reinstalling MC19 will not correct anything.  Cover Art, tagging, custom views, etc are saved in your Library, not the program itself. 

The default location for your old Library backups is C:\Users\[User Name]\My Documents\JRiver\Media Center 19\Library Backups if you can find it.  Save the newest one and restore it into MC 20.

The biggest thing I notice from your screen shot is that many of your tags are incorrect.  You need to edit the tags so that the scraper can find the correct Cover Art.  The reason they are showing up as Unassigned is there is no Series tag for these Files.  Edit the Series tag so that is correct, and they will move out of Unassigned.  The scraper can then automatically find the correct Cover Art. 

tiger2000

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:39:41 pm »

Aha! Luckily I did backup my 'My Documents' folder, and I have now applied the latest JR19 library.

So do I edit the names that come under the thumbnails or the tags themselves? And how do i do this?
I do understand that some of my library is not sorted properly. I will do this progressively, but for now I think I should do an auto-import so that the thumbnails (that can be found), can be found correctly as at the moment my TV Shows and Movies have a lot of loose ends - such as movies with red circles (stating they cannot play) and TV Shows that need to be updated.

It also looks like my Media import has reverted back to its old file order state - so I will need to update this and then run an auto-import right?

Thanks so much :)

connersw

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 07:48:21 pm »

Edit the tags themselves.  There are several different ways.  What is easiest depends on what View you are in, how many you are doing at a time, etc.  Take a look at this wiki:  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Edit_File_Properties_%28tags%29

The red circle means that the Filepath stored in your Library is not the same as where the File is currently located.  You can use Library Tools -> Rename, Move & Copy Files to correct this.  You'll want to select Update database to point to new location from the drop down.  See:  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Transfer

tiger2000

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 12:58:34 am »

Hello again. 8)

I have a couple of other questions -
You told me to edit the tags themselves. Now on the wiki it says that to edit a particular movie, right click on it and say rename, and that way the cover art can be picked up from the database. Well I right click, but for some odd reason, the rename value is not highlighted and therefore I cannot rename anything. There is no importing or tag renaming happening either.

Another thing, if I wanted to update just one directory (because of recent dls - there are a few new movies), would I still do this through the library import? You would think that there is another way for just one folder..

Thanks  ;D

tiger2000

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 01:04:11 am »

Oh and I just tried to rename a file through Tools - Library Tools - Rename, Move & Copy Files.. I clicked on rename, then the filename, renamed it, but it did not work..

connersw

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 07:46:51 am »

Did you read through all of the wiki?  Do you understand what Tags & Fields are?  You may want to read this:  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tags

You need to right click on the specific Field you want to rename, not just the Thumbnail.  For Movies, that will probably be the Name Field.  For TV Shows, make sure the Series is correct, and that you have the Season and Episode numbers correct.  Then run Get Move & TV Info, and it will get pretty much all of the other basic information you will need.  See the screen shot below for an example of renaming a Series.

Another thing, if I wanted to update just one directory (because of recent dls - there are a few new movies), would I still do this through the library import? You would think that there is another way for just one folder..

Once you fix the Filepaths I mentioned earlier, it is easier to just leave Auto-Import on (Tools -> Options -> Library & Folders -> Auto-Import -> Run auto-import in background).  Make sure you fix the Filepath issue first though so that you don't get duplicates.

If you want to Import a File or Folder outside of your watched Import Folders, you can do that in Windows Explorer.  Make sure in Tools -> Options -> General -> Shell Options -> you check Enable shell integration.  Then in Windows Explorer, just right click on a File or Folder -> Media Center -> Import.

Oh and I just tried to rename a file through Tools - Library Tools - Rename, Move & Copy Files.. I clicked on rename, then the filename, renamed it, but it did not work..

I don't understand what you mean when you say "it did not work."  You need to explain in detail exactly what happened.  Saying "it did not work" is not very useful in helping trouble shoot.  What did it do?  Keep in mind, RM&C renames the Filepath (or Filename), it does not rename the Name Field (again read the wiki on Tags).

tiger2000

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 11:03:20 pm »

Hi again.

This all seemed way over my head, so I did some experimenting and found out that when I right click on a thumbnail, and say 'Get Movie & TV Info', you can change the name of the file, and choose the appropriate information/cover art.

However I do appreciate all the help.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up