INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [REQ] Tray Icon Tooltip of recording  (Read 1204 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
[REQ] Tray Icon Tooltip of recording
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:55:27 am »

Currently, in order to tell if a program is successfully recording, a user must do one of these:

* Open an instance of MC on another client, change the library to the TV DVR PC, click on Television, click on list of Recordings.

* Go the display of the TV DVR PC, open an instance of MC on the TV DVR PC, click on Television, click on list of Recordings.

* Use Windows Explorer, go to the TV DVR PC on the network, look in JRiver/Video and see if a file with the name of the program has been created.

It would be much easier to do what some other TV programs do, namely have a tray icon mouseover display a tooltip with a list of currently recording programs.

In fact, one freeware program has a small "notifier" program that can run on any PC in your LAN, and puts such a tray icon on that PC.  But that seems much more programming work than just adding the tooltip to the PC that is doing the recording - which would be much more convenient than any of the above methods.

Oh, and what would be really helpful would be to make the tray icon red whenever a program was currently recording.   That would be equivalent to the red light on the front of a physical DVR.  (But I don't know enough about Windows tray icons to know if that is practical.)

Thanks!

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
Re: [REQ] Tray Icon Tooltip of recording
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:20:48 pm »

+1000!  Even just changing the color of the MC Server Icon to Green or Red would be adequate.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: [REQ] Tray Icon Tooltip of recording
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 08:52:53 pm »

I can't see tray icons on my HTPC as I run Theatre View in full screen mode.

To see what is recording I go to my "TV Recordings" item in Theatre View ( it is called "Shows" in a standard MC setup), then select the "All Recent" (or "Recent") view, then scroll down the list. Any item that is currently recording has that noted against it in the details.

But I agree, it is too hard to work out if something is recording, and what it is, if you are on the Guide for example. It would be good if the red dot that shows an item is to be recorded changed colour when it actually started recording. Let's say to green. Hmmm, perhaps reverse those colours, since a red dot universally means a recording is happening.

It would also be good if the dot on the Guide was green for programs that planned to be recorded, and blue if a program is going to be recorded due to padding on an earlier or later program. At present all the programs picked up by padding also have red dots, so it is hard to see which were intended to be recorded, and which just got picked up by chance.

It wouldn't hurt if there was a red dot in the corner of Theatre View whenever there was a recording running as well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up