INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP settings problem [fixed]  (Read 1845 times)

Walt Whitman

• Recent member
DSP settings problem [fixed]
« on: November 03, 2014, 10:05:52 pm »

When using a DSP Preset that is defined within the song file, please have it stop using the 8" Virtual Subwoofer from the Effects portion of the DSP Studio (not part of the saved preset).

Every DSP Preset that I place in the song file, incorrectly picks the 8" Subwoofer option (none of my presets use this), although when I set the preset manually, this 8" Subwoofer bug does not occur. This bug prevents using such a wonderful tool to adjust/correct deficient song files.

Thanks for listening.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
DSP settings problem
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 07:48:55 am »

When using a DSP Preset that is defined within the song file, please have it stop using the 8" Virtual Subwoofer from the Effects portion of the DSP Studio (not part of the saved preset).

Every DSP Preset that I place in the song file, incorrectly picks the 8" Subwoofer option (none of my presets use this), although when I set the preset manually, this 8" Subwoofer bug does not occur. This bug prevents using such a wonderful tool to adjust/correct deficient song files.

Thanks for listening.

That's really weird because setting a preset manually or automatically run the same code.  So I'd expect it to always load or never load.  Strange.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Walt Whitman

• Recent member
Re: DSP settings problem
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 08:47:19 pm »

Matt,

In a post started September 25, titled "New DSP setting Issue", deepsky456 described this very issue. You replied that Hendrik was looking into this, to which Hendrik replied a few days later, "This will be fixed in an upcoming build, the Effects DSP plugin was accidentally always overwriting the saved settings."

Deepsky stated later, "After some testing, it appears I can manually load DSP custom settings, but the DSP tag does not work, it loads the default Effects settings of Concert Hall, 8" Subwoofer, and Moderate stereo enhancement whenever the tag calls a setting that has any Effects," which is the same issue I am having.

It seems that it is not yet fixed. I was wondering if this is something you could look into, and if I am part of a small subset of MC people that have this bug, do you have any suggestions for its elimination. The reason this is vital to me is that I listen to a lot of old jazz, Clark Terry, Jimmy Smith, and the like (usually mono). I try to use the Effects setting, along with the Parametric Equalizer to achieve a tolerable spread to the soundstage, as well as a more natural EQ. If DSP tagging worked without this bug, my enjoyment of this old music would increase dramatically (and so would anyone else who has this bug). Also, there are a lot of David Oistrakh recordings in mono that are magical, which could be elevated into the realm of phenomenal listening pleasure, if this Effects bug were eliminated.

Thanks for your help, and thanks for listening.

Walt Whitman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 12:13:20 am »

Ugh!!

I have done everything I can think of to get the DSP settings to load from the DSP tag inside the file correctly, so that the DSP Effects would load correctly and not Concert Hall - 4, 8" Virtual Subwoofer, Medium Enhancement Surround Field. I deleted ALL of my DSP Presets (after meticulously writing them down). I deleted all DSP tags from songs that had DSP tags. I then tested to see if that fixed the problem. Nope. If I load a song with a DSP tag, it writes in the above erroneous DSP Effects settings every time. However, if I load the same DSP Preset manually, the correct DSP Effects settings are implemented.

In a fit of wild frustration, I uninstalled MC 20 and older versions of MC (17, 18 & 19) I hadn't used since I was introduced to this wonderful program, hoping beyond hope that whatever errant default, chunk of code, registry entry, or what have you, which was preventing my DSP Effects settings from loading correctly from a DSP tagged song file, would be obliterated and J River bliss would then ensue. Unfortunately, that was not the case. The darned setting still rears its ugly head.

I am stumped!

So this is a call out to Jim, Matt, Hendrik, Glynor, 6233638, Arindelle, Mwillems, Mojave, or whoever in this great community that can give me some ray of hope, direction or fix for this insane, insidious issue. This is like having a great sports car with an V8 under the hood, but you can only use 6 cylinders.

Well, I am going to go back and re-add all of my playlists and settings and such to MC 20 from the 100+ screenshots I saved in Word. (Nah, I think I'll just do a library restore instead.)

Please, help if you can.

Thank you sincerely, in advance!

deepsky4565

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 07:17:26 pm »

I just replied in the other thread, and found out independently about manually loaded DSP settings being correct, whereas ones loaded by the tag are not. Hopefully this can help debug this problem. This was the most anticipated feature of MC20 to me, so I hope it an be solved soon!

Walt Whitman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 12:45:06 pm »

Deepsky, thanks for responding.

I have been diligently searching for editable files that contain Effects DSP settings. On my C: Drive, the User Settings.ini file has multiple Effects DSP settings. I have created a "Clear All DSP Settings" preset to see what it looks like in the User Settings.ini file. I was then going to paste this setting, in which all Effects DSP settings are set to "none", into all other Effects DSP entries, to see how that works, of course, saving the original unchanged User Settings.ini file, in case this does not work. I have not pulled the trigger yet because I like to take time to process and go over a few times in my mind, perhaps coming across something that I hadn't considered initially. I will post the results after I try this avenue. Hopefully, this brings the result wanted.

I have scoured the file structure of J River for any other areas where a default may be called from; I can't find anything else. I don't like messing with the registry, though I have searched there, as well. When I uninstalled and reinstalled, I figured that I would have to re-enter my license code, but I did not, so there is something lurking "out there" that stays installed after a complete uninstallation, which keeps that information, at least (maybe more, much more, but where, I don't know).

I have also begun to scour the forum. There was a somewhat similar scenario a while back, where additions to the DSP studio from third party vendors had "unintended consequences" in J River MC. I don't run any third party software, but a long while ago I did add an additional Parametric EQ entry, called "Parametric Equalizer 2". I did want to delete, in case that had any "unintended consequences" but there is no facility in MC to delete that (at least, I am not aware of how to do this).

Anyway, when I change the User Settings.ini file, I will post the results. If anyone here thinks I am on the right trail, the wrong trail, or knows that I'm really going to mess things up, please post so I have the best and most info possible.

Thanks for reading, and helping.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 04:45:50 am »

The problem with the Effects DSP (and possibly some others) not applying their settings properly when using the automatic preset loading through the "DSP" library tag should be resolved in the next build. Sorry for the inconvenience.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Walt Whitman

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 05:15:38 pm »

The problem with the Effects DSP (and possibly some others) not applying their settings properly when using the automatic preset loading through the "DSP" library tag should be resolved in the next build. Sorry for the inconvenience.

That is TREMENDOUS NEWS! Thank you very much!

I am jazzed!!

deepsky4565

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 01:49:40 am »

The new build seems to work as advertised, thanks!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up