INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Determining correct aspect ratio for movies ripped to MKV  (Read 1904 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Determining correct aspect ratio for movies ripped to MKV
« on: September 27, 2014, 03:51:12 pm »

I noticed a couple of my movies (mkv rips) have an aspect ratio listed in MC as 11115:6255. I assumed this happened because MC could not determine/read the correct tag from a MKV rip or maybe makeMKV incorrectly created the aspect ratio when the movie was ripped from its ISO file.

I went to the IMDb website and looked up the movies (Star Wars III, IV, V) and they are all supposed to be 2.35:1.
Interestingly, the ratio 11115:6255 is "1.78:1" which is a legitimate aspect ratio too. I changed the movie's tags to 2.35:1.

What would be the effect of playing a movie with an incorrect ratio (just a slightly stretched or cropped or distorted picture)?

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Determining correct aspect ratio for movies ripped to MKV
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 04:10:33 pm »

Blu-rays are all either 16:9 or 4:3, they are never anything else since the image is padded with black bars to make sure of this. The actual image inside the black bars can have any aspect ratio, but MC would never determine that one.
1.78:1 is 16:9, and MC should usually write 16:9 into the field for those, but maybe some calculation accuracy problem occured that prevented it from determining its actually that.

I don't think the field is used for playback though, it uses the files AR for playback, unless you overwrite it at playback time, which is then stored in the Playback Info field.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »

Thanks for the explanation.
The three Star Wars movies are wide screen DVDs.

Most of my collection shows aspect ratios of 4:3 and 16:9 (some movies/shows have no aspect ratio listed), but I also have some with 1.33:1, 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.20:1, 2.35:1, and 2.40:1.
I didn't enter the data myself so MC is pulling the numbers from somewhere - but the movies play fine.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 06:03:54 pm »

When you rip CinemaScope discs, I believe you have the option of reducing the vertical resolution of the rip by omitting the black bars. Thus your mkv files may indeed have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1, even thought the original disc was 16:9, including black bars.

dean70

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 07:24:09 pm »

Is there any way to automatically determine the aspect ratio of 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 of the movie through some analysis process? It would be a neat feature to automatically scale out the black bars, rather than having to manually select the ratio each time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up