INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black Video Display  (Read 4905 times)

bwa

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Black Video Display
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:37:10 am »

Suddenly my jriver 19 started to play my Videos with black display. The audio is OK.

Everything seems to work fine. Play, pause, stop, all screen overlays is ok. The video is just black.

I even updated to MC 20, but the problem didn't go away. I have of course tried different Video troubleshooting, and are back to Red October standard without video hardware acceleration.

A log file is attached.

The PC is win 8.1.

Any more suggestions out there ?

/bwa

bwa

• World Citizen
Re: Black Video Display
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:45:52 am »

I have found the source of the problem. It was  unexpected though...

The Asus PC has both Intel 4400 and Nvidia 840M graphic card.

Display
    Intel(R) HD Graphics Family (driver 10.18.10.3379)
    NVIDIA GeForce 840M         (driver 9.18.13.3235)

The running the Nvidia the screen goes black, and with Intel Graphics it works fine.

Wonder why ? Nvidia should be the best choice ?

/bwa

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 10:51:33 am »

Probably a driver problem.

bwa

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 01:25:11 pm »

My driver was not the latest, so I installed NVIDIA v 344.11, but it did not help. Still Black Display

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:29:51 pm »

Did you try an Internet search for similar Nvidia problems?

bwa

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 01:52:55 pm »

Actually I did, and found one issue from Interact forum, which was a driver issue.

VLC and Windows Media Player has no trouble of playing the same file(s) with the NVIDIA driver, so it's a bit tricky to get any further. I have the files on a windows share, so the videos are not streaming from the library server, but played from the UNC, it that info migth help.

/bwa

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 03:04:38 pm »

You might want to try saving your library, uninstalling MC and then reinstalling MC20. Restore your library. First try without restoring your settings, so that it's all default, then try restoring the library with settings too.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 03:13:33 pm »

The NVIDIA driver may have special checks for Windows Media Player or VLC which makes it automatically default to some special mode, or maybe even use the Intel GPU.
Such Optimius laptops are a serious PITA, I'm not sure there is anything I can suggest, other than use the Intel GPU.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 06:27:27 pm »

I wouldn't rule out a bad video card either. Soemtimes things just stop working.

But only in one program?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 06:39:00 pm »

Every program exercises drivers and their hardware differently.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 11:27:10 pm »

You always say that, Jim. And I just don't believe it. Until, that is, it's repeatedly proved to be the case, which it almost always is. Time to put my scepticism to bed and just believe it! :)

bwa

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 11:54:36 pm »

Meaning it also could be a MC 19/20 issue ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 07:29:36 am »

Doubtful.

It's not clear from your first post whether you've tried both Red October Standard and HQ.

And did you try toggling hardware acceleration? 

bwa

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 07:34:18 am »

Yes, I have tried both Red October Standard and HQ and toggling and HW accellerate.

I must clearify that it's just the video content that is black. All overlays, popupmenus is working fine.

/bwa

Wulff

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 07:39:04 am »

I have the same issue here, my notebook has a intel hd graphics card and a nvidia GTX880M wich is performing perfect with everything except with jriver, I wanted to try to run jriver with my gtx880m ( right click the mc20.exe file and choose run with the nvidia card) but i have the same issue then black display. i have it on the built in laptop screen as well as on ther tv connected to the hdmi so my thoughts that it might have to do with the hdmi port being connected to the intel card isnt it. The problem is that the intel card struggles way more with the higher settings in jriver (red october HQ, hardware accelerate, video clock, bitstreaming) I was away from j river for a while but upgraded from mc18 to mc20 now, but this problem with the nvidia card is just weird. i had a look on internet as well for similar issues but couldnt find it.

I am running the latste driver bu the problem was there in an older driver as well so i guess its something in j river instead of driver issue or even as ppl suggest here a faulty gfx card.

hope there will be a solution for this

*edit* i forgot to mention that i'm running windows 8.1 x64 and my notebook has a core i7-4700HQ cpu, 16gb ram, and a 500gb ssd.
also whenever i do try the nvidia card to run jriver i cannot close the program and can only close it with taskmanager

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 08:53:06 am »

If the Intel graphics work and the Nvidia graphics don't, it is an Nvidia driver problem.  Please try their support or do an Internet search.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 08:54:15 am »

Maybe you've said, but is it every video file type?

Wulff

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 01:14:33 pm »

I tried it with mkv, a bluray folder and mp4 here and all 3 had audio but black screen and a non responding mc20 here

Wulff

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 02:07:55 am »

Do more people have this issue as well? It would be really great to be able to use the nvidia card with jriver instead ofn the intel hd graphics cause with only the intel gpu and cpu working the fan of my laptop spins up to an annoying level when watching movies.

for the rest there are no issues whatsoever when running it on the intel dGPU but its also quite strange that it wont work with my nvidia gfx card

bwa

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 02:11:31 am »

I have trouble with the 840M, but on my Quadro 2000M it seems to work ok.

Maybe we could try to report it to nvidia ?

Wulff

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 03:30:00 pm »

yeah perhaps we should :)

but i installed windows7 on my laptop and... its working perfectly so then it could also be something in windows 8.1 for now i will stick to windows 7 then cause i also had latency issues with a mixing program and its soundcard, have to test and see if thats improved as well now. latencymon testprogram result were already way improved over windows 8.1

but regarding mc20 and our nvidia cards no idea what the source of this problem is ( mc20, driver, windows8.1) glad it finally works now, bye bye loud fan when watching something

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 03:36:25 pm »

I know that Hendrik develops LAV and MC using Nvidia hardware.  Or, at least he did before.

So, it isn't something universal with Nvidia hardware or drivers.  That said, video card drivers are OFTEN the source of weird issues.  They push them out very quickly (so they can support the latest games) with very limited QA.

I also know, from other developers, that Nvidia's Optimus GPU switching system is effectively broken under Windows.  The switching works fairly well under OSX (now, it didn't for a LONG time after release), but it is a crapshow on Windows.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »

There are loads of problems with Optimus, especially the 800M series, I don't have any solutions, sorry. Not sure there is anything we can do, RO Standard uses the default video renderer from Microsoft, and nothing fancy or advanced.

NVIDIA used to force the Intel GPU for many video players because of such problems. If that works for you as a solution, I would recommend doing that as well.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Wulff

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 07:49:24 am »

It seems on win8.1 there is no other choice then for us 800m series users. on win7 it did work but im already back on win8.1 cause i use my system for traktor pro 2 as well wich is a dj program with an external soundcard, but on both systems i have many issues, on win7 its completly unusable due to cpu spikes causing bog audio dropouts and on win8 its also not flawless, can make it work better by disabling many services etc in windows but still its not 100%. Seems that the combination of usb 3.0 and the ivy bridge chipset is the source of all my problems.... very bad but nothing i cant do about it anymore i guess. tried everything now with all sorts of driver combinations and windows setups. Should have investigated way better before buying this laptop but never expected a 1900 euro laptop to have any issues with my dj soundcard. so until intel/ microsoft/  native instruments solves this i cant use this laptop for my dj gigs. life sucks every now and then. when calling asus support the only answer i get is: we designed this laptop for gaming and therefor its my own problem

bwa

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 07:55:53 am »

I have a support ticket at NVIDIA. Will report back any findings.

/bwa

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 07:58:44 am »

We would be happy to provide test licenses for Nvidia.

bwa

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 08:00:45 am »

Great. I will notice them if needed. But I hope the trial will work for reproducing. In my steps to reproduce I have asked them to use the trial.

/bwa

bwa

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »

Reply from NVidia

Just wanted to provide quick update that our lab was able to replicate the issue and after development analyzed the problem it appears to be a possible app issue. According to development, while the video clip is playing, we do not get any video decoding calls, but get video process ones. While we are detecting video process calls by the app but it appears the app is not using 840M to present. It might be doing so using the Intel, and if true then it's a problem with the app. Development is checking to confirm. But regardless, development advise defaulting this app to always run on Intel since it will handle the video processing better with this particular configuration. Ultimately we will likely create a profile to set this app to always use Intel to prevent this problem. In the meantime I suggest you continue to manually force app to run on the Intel graphics for best experience.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 09:32:09 am »

I just updated an older optimus laptop (GT660m) installation to MC20 from MC19. With MC19 I was able to change the default processor to nVidia. In MC20 this does not work. It says that nVidia is the default, but when you go to the control panel, it never switches from Intel. A real pain because ROStd is showing lots of image tearing in MC 19 and mc20, but does not with ROHQ (MC19 only, of course).
Pages: [1]   Go Up