INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 Renaming a folders with Library tools "Rename Move Copy" questions  (Read 2579 times)

toneking

• Recent member

I am doing batch conversion of aifs to flacs and I want to move them to another folder when I use the Library tool "Rename Move Copy"
I can rename the folder for the flac files but the jogs do not show up so they get left behind in the old folder. I have thousands of folders to do.
Does anyone know the proper way to do this.

My work around is just have them convert to same directory and replace original file (aifs) but my problem is they were ripped in iTunes and have a folder hierarchy that is different. So after I convert I go to finder and rename folder and move folders. Then I run auto import to update. I read that it is better to do the moving inside Media Center.

I have been converting over a huge library 500,000+ songs and will need to consolidate the subfolders that contain a couple of hundred disks each to a master folder. I am looking for the smartest and most reliable way to do these processes.

Thanks in advance!
Peter

amargolis

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC20 Renaming a folders with Library tools "Rename Move Copy" questions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 03:51:33 pm »

I haven't been able to use this feature either. Is it active yet?

No matter what rules i set for copying, renaming, or updating database, it says "invalid change"

I'm trying to update the database to point to a new location because I restored my windows library onto the mac and of course it handles hard drive paths/ locations differently on mac vs. windows. I wonder if there's an easier way to do that?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 12:15:13 am »

I'm trying to update the database to point to a new location because I restored my windows library onto the mac and of course it handles hard drive paths/ locations differently on mac vs. windows. I wonder if there's an easier way to do that?

Rename, Move, and Copy Files does work on the Mac version of MC.

You have other issues in there, as discussed in the other thread.

I am doing batch conversion of aifs to flacs and I want to move them to another folder when I use the Library tool "Rename Move Copy"
I can rename the folder for the flac files but the jogs do not show up so they get left behind in the old folder. I have thousands of folders to do.
Does anyone know the proper way to do this.

I'm not sure what "jogs" means.

However, MC's Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool does not currently handle any files that are not (a) imported into MC and explicitly selected and "renamed", or that (b) it originally created itself.

This means that if you move a files with this tool from within MC, and those files are in a folder that contains other auxiliary files (such as log files, nfo files, PDF "liner notes" files, and assorted cover art files), MC will move the specifically selected audio files but does not handle (and leaves behind) the "sidecar" files.

That isn't great, but it is not currently a capability of that tool.  It does not move folders. It moves the files you specifically select and tell it to move.  It is a LITTLE smarter than this about "sidecar" files.  It will move cover art files and other similar files if MC was the application that originally created them.

There are a few alternatives, though fewer on the Mac version of MC.  The easiest solution will probably be to move the files through the Finder, and then re-import them into MC.  A bit less easy would be to move the files in the Finder, and then fix MC's database after the fact using the Rename, Move, and Copy Tool's Find and Replace section (with it set to Update the database only mode).

You may also want to read through this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92161.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

toneking

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 02:23:33 pm »

I meant JPGs(artwork image file) not jogs

I'm not sure what "jogs" means.
Pages: [1]   Go Up