INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do merge music folder's  (Read 1624 times)

cort

• Recent member
How do merge music folder's
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:19:24 pm »

The main problem I am struggling with right now is trying to merge my music collection into one folder that I can put onto the id. When I auto import into MC20 from various locations I get multiple duplicate songs on albums. is there a way for mc to filter that?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do merge music folder's
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 02:49:10 pm »

A little more detail might help.  Where are your files now (what does folder structure look like)?  What exactly are you trying to do?  What is an 'id'?  What 'various locations' are you importing from and why are the same files in both places?

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 03:05:25 pm »

After 10 years of collecting music, crashes, back ups etc.. I have a few music folders on different drives mostly categorized by artist that all have some overlap. I was curious if there is an idiots guide to bringing all together in MC.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 03:20:41 pm »

I'll try to dig up some links to specific posts unless someone beats me to it, but at a high level I would:

Import everything in to MC.
Do a quick and dirty cleanup of tag information to at least get artist/album/name data accurate.
Use one of the duplicate file handling schemes suggested in posts on this forum to delete any true duplicates or keep the highest quality version of songs I have multiple version of.
Use the 'rename' feature to move the remaining files to a consolidated drive structure.
Continue tag cleanup and duplicate file handling passes until is was all cleaned up to my satisfaction.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 03:28:15 pm »

Great post by Marko on duplicate handling.  This is pretty much how I do it, except instead of 'Name' I match based on a custom library field called 'Name (Base)'.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76294.msg516833#msg516833

With 'Name (Base)' I store the base name of the track so that:
'Songname', 'Songname (Live)', 'Songname (Acoustic)', etc. all end up with a 'Name (Base)' = 'Songname' and all appear as duplicates until I either approve, hide, or delete them.

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 03:43:39 pm »

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to clean up the source folder that I want to export to the id.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 04:46:29 pm »

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to clean up the source folder that I want to export to the id.

is this the id you speak of...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=89084.0
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 04:59:27 pm »

That is the id

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 11:38:09 pm »

Didn't realize you were talking about the JRiver Id.  I thought by 'id' you meant 'internal drive' on your computer.

That still doesn't fundamentally change my answer though.  I would use a PC/Mac install of MC to first build and clean up my library.  If you are starting with scattered and duplicate files, the first step is to clean up and consolidate.

Edit - if you are expecting MC to magically figure out which files you want to keep and which ones you want to trash, it won't do that for you.  The ESP module is still in development.  For now you have to tell it which files you want to get rid of.

cort

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 12:59:52 pm »

Thanks,
Yes I was hoping that MC would magically merge my music, it seemed to me that by now this would be a common issue with app to fix it. But after spending alot of time looking for that app I decided to take the brute force approach, most of yesterday and a couple hours this morning I am 90% through wound up ~60gb files loaded onto the id :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up