INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why is ripping cd's to flac so hard?  (Read 3561 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
why is ripping cd's to flac so hard?
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:19:48 am »

I am trying to simply rip some of my cd collection to FLAC.

Issues:

1. some discs rip very quickly and others seem to take a long time, what's the deal with this?

2. after the disc is ripped mc20 continues to try to import it into my collection, even though I have every option in the world checked to prevent this, what's the deal?

3. then because mc20 has imported into my collection which i dont want, I then click to remove it from my collection which is does but then it also removes the rip from my hard drive, OMG this is crazy, why?

I have never seen software continue to by force remove files from my computer, I have just about given up trying to rip with mc20, if someone can help me with these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Terry

Re: why is ripping cd's to flac so hard?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:04:15 am »

1. some discs rip very quickly and others seem to take a long time, what's the deal with this?
It basically depends on the pressing quality of the disc, its condition, and the drive you are using to rip it.
Just because two discs might look "good" to the eye, does not mean they are of the same quality.

2. after the disc is ripped mc20 continues to try to import it into my collection, even though I have every option in the world checked to prevent this, what's the deal?
I don't use MC for ripping. Though I'm guessing they assume that there is no reason why anyone would want to rip a disc and not add it to their library.

3. then because mc20 has imported into my collection which i dont want, I then click to remove it from my collection which is does but then it also removes the rip from my hard drive, OMG this is crazy, why?
When you delete items from Media Center you should be asked whether you want to remove the files from the library or delete them:

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 10:54:36 am »

I am trying to simply rip some of my cd collection to FLAC.

6233638 gave you some answers, I'll help with 2.

As 6233638 said, MC assumes that you are rippinbg a CD to add the music files produced to the libary in use. 

- Create a new library just for ripping CDs you don't want to add to your usual library.  (File/Library/Library Manager)
- When you want to rip a CD and not put it in your usual library, change to the ripping library. (File/Library and click on the name of your ripping library.
- When you finish ripping those CDs, switch back to your usual library.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 11:14:43 am »

If you are ripping to a location that is setup for auto-import, then it will always be imported to the library. Check Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto-import.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 01:02:42 pm »

If you are ripping to a location that is setup for auto-import, then it will always be imported to the library. Check Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto-import.

I took this a step further with help from a few folks in here - and set up a View that points exclusively to my "staging" Area. Then I ensure that my main library views - do not include this staging area location.

Now I rip everything to this specific location - and access the files via my "staging" view for tagging etc. Then - only when I am ready to "promote" the ripped files to the main library (move them to the Server) - do they show up in the Main library.

Best of both worlds - without having to create a separate rip library.

VP

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 02:36:09 pm »

Thanks, I have developed a work around, I rip the Cd's to a temp directory and then before deleting from the collection I move them to another temp directory so MC20 doesnt delete them all together.

Terry

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 07:10:41 pm »

I don't use MC for ripping.

May I ask why?

I am of course well aware lots of people use EAC and dbpoweramp, but I've been pleased with jrivers rips. Please don't tell me I should re-rip again with EAC... :-\

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 07:13:09 pm »

May I ask why?
I am of course well aware lots of people use EAC and dbpoweramp, but I've been pleased with jrivers rips. Please don't tell me I should re-rip again with EAC... :-\
I already owned a copy of dBpoweramp which was all set up for ripping before I owned a copy of Media Center, so it's easier for me to stick with that system.
I also find that dBpoweramp tends to be better at getting good metadata than Media Center.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Media Center's ripping capabilities though.

retro

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:15:20 pm »

Thx, now I'm calm again.. ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up