INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I improve weakest link (computer) in my audio setup  (Read 2116 times)

trcns

• World Citizen
How can I improve weakest link (computer) in my audio setup
« on: October 12, 2014, 10:34:25 am »

I have lossless music ripped from cd's and music purchaed from hd tracks, Macintosh mx121 processor, krell s1500 power amp, b&w 802d speakers, even interconnect and speaker wires are over 10k, my music resides on Lenovo Q180 small foot print PC which is connected to my processor via HDMI. I don't know why but this PC is the least expensive equipment I have with build in sound card and hdmi port. It always bugs me that I can improve this weak link. I like the fact that while playing music i can see the album cover track information on the monitor. But still I am curious to know how can I improve the sound. Since I have a processor with built in DAC, I don't want to add a DAC(by the way I tried using Moon DAC, it was  no ware close to Macintosh mx121, ended up selling it on eBay. I am not even sure while using HDMI port does better sound card matters? But if I could add a nice external sound card, will it improve the sound quality or am I looking for unrealistic Majic?

r_cohen

• Recent member
Re: How can I improve weakest link (computer) in my audio setup
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 11:15:38 am »

I have lossless music ripped from cd's and music purchaed from hd tracks, Macintosh mx121 processor, krell s1500 power amp, b&w 802d speakers, even interconnect and speaker wires are over 10k, my music resides on Lenovo Q180 small foot print PC which is connected to my processor via HDMI. I don't know why but this PC is the least expensive equipment I have with build in sound card and hdmi port. It always bugs me that I can improve this weak link. I like the fact that while playing music i can see the album cover track information on the monitor. But still I am curious to know how can I improve the sound. Since I have a processor with built in DAC, I don't want to add a DAC(by the way I tried using Moon DAC, it was  no ware close to Macintosh mx121, ended up selling it on eBay. I am not even sure while using HDMI port does better sound card matters? But if I could add a nice external sound card, will it improve the sound quality or am I looking for unrealistic Majic?
There is nothing to improve.  The data gets transmitted 100% perfectly over HDMI to your processor.  Your computer isn't a weak link.  It's a perfect link.

You could get a fancier looking computer, but that won't change what gets sent over HDMI.

Check out fancy room correction software, like Dirac, Acourate, or Audiolense.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 12:58:08 pm »

In the past HDMI had a bad reputation in the jitter department.
Over time they improved things.

It is a bit unclear what you have compared but if HDMI > MX121 sound better than USB > Moon > analog in MX121 you might wonder if the HDMI is the problem.

You might try drivers like WASAPI and check if it does something in your system.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 02:52:13 pm »

sometimes we forget about the hardware....try a better set of cables and keep the reciept u can always take them back
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 05:52:46 am »

not knowing what your network set up is, hard to say; for two channel audio + the 802s, (I suppose you are using the krell/mcintosh combo for Home theater or multi-room? -- for audio only its a little "unique" as a set-up)

If I had your set-up (provided that the McIntosh/Krell is not used for just audio; multichannel is required, and I liked the DAC in the Mcintosh as much as you do!), and I had 10k$ in cables/interconnects (and not 10K in yen) I'd sell them and put the money into the software r-cohen recommended combined with some good measuring gear,  with a multi-channel interface from manufacturers like Steinberg, Lynx or others. The problem is the learning curve is steep if you want to do this yourself. I haven't had the time or money to get into that myself -- looks like it would be under 2000$US so all things are relative of course.

With the Krell you might even be able to go "active" with convolution filters and such, but the passive crossovers in the high end BWs are really so good not sure it would be worth it.

@Mods - might want to move this out of the Windows 20 forum?

So like people are saying above,  changing the computer won't give you any significant benefits in my humble opinion - other than output choices (which could be important), looks, and options that you probably don't need. But I don't know your entire system, so take everything I  just blabbered about with a grain of salt  :)

trcns

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 03:39:02 pm »

Arindelle thanks for your suggestion but some questions

There is no network involved. From computer's HDMI connecting to Processor, to Power Amp, to Speakers. The setup is for Home theater multichannel, not multi room. I am not sure the meaning of (and not 10K in yen). I looked for (software r-cohen), Couldn't find any thing over the web, what is this software for? I looked at Steinberg, it looks more like a commercial equipment, too complicated home user. I believe Lynx makes sound cards. That was my initial question, if I am using HDMI, does high end sound cards matter.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 04:25:37 pm »

All are DRC (Digital Room Correction) e.g.
http://www.dirac.se/en/
http://www.audiovero.de/en/acourate.php

maynard

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 06:08:13 pm »

if I am using HDMI, does high end sound cards matter.

If you are using HDMI as your audio output, your soundcard is not doing anything at all.  The music is moving digitally through HDMI to your processor, which is acting as a DAC.  Adding an external soundcard would not change anything unless you start using a different output. Technically, an external soundcard is a DAC.  If you got an external soundcard with an HDMI out, and started using that HDMI out rather than the one on your motherboard, there would be no difference in sound quality. Your processor would still be doing the decoding, which is what gives the music its quality.

trcns

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:46:48 am »

Thanks Maynard: Very clean and clear answer. I am very happy the my setup, but as human nature always looking for to improve. That was the only interest for this post.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 12:59:15 pm »

I am not sure the meaning of (and not 10K in yen).
I looked for (software r-cohen), Couldn't find any thing over the web

Yen is the Japanese currency.  10,000K in yen = ~$93.  $10,000 in superfluous gear = worth selling and using that money for something better, $93 = not so much.

r-cohen is the second poster in this thread.  He was suggesting that you look at the software recommended in that second post above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up