INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: copy tv shows to laptop for airplane  (Read 1875 times)

thane108

• World Citizen
copy tv shows to laptop for airplane
« on: October 25, 2014, 10:11:36 am »

Simple question - what is the best way to move large video recordings to my laptop for use on an airplane (no wifi).

Is there a tool within JRiver that I can use across my homegroup network or do I just use a file manger?

Searched the wiki and forums but I couldn't find directions - sorry for the duplication!
Perseverance wins out in the end!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: copy tv shows to laptop for airplane
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:40:44 am »

You can set up a drive as a Handheld device.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:42:33 am »

I'm not being successful.

1 - went to options handheld add device browsed network and added the laptop (selected the name I assigned when I setup homegroup)
2 - went to sync handheld - selected a video - hit transfer
3 - it indicated it was transfering - but seemed to get finished much too quickly for such a large file - just a few seconds.

I can't find the file in file manger on the laptop nor in JRiver (I did run autoimport)

I'm kinda of lost.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:49:15 am »

In the Handheld settings you can specify the conversion.

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 12:25:06 pm »

OK - I tried music thinking smaller files, etc.

When I start the sync it indicates its uploading a track then "error".  Repeats for each track.

I did turn off the firewall and virus protection.

I suspect that I didn't set up the laptop as a device correctly, or that something is blocking the upload.

Can you point me to more detailed directions?

Thanks!

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 12:53:25 pm »

OK - I got it to work.  Just changed the path to public.

Thank!

thane108

• World Citizen
quick followup on conversion
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 03:58:47 pm »

So - do I have to convert jts to ts files to use the transfer to handled for recorded TV?

Seems like I can move ts files using handheld sync but not the videos I recorded using the jts format.  So much I convert or am I missing something?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 05:56:47 pm »

If your plan is to move the files to a different computer just for the purposes of using MC to play them, the Rename, Move, and Copy Files tool will do it, when used in Copy (rather than move) mode.

You can make a profile and sync whatever you want.  If you make a Smarlist that shows the files you want synced (or just a regular Playlist), it is easy to Control-A to select them all and then do them all in one fell swoop.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

thane108

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 07:55:06 pm »

Thanks - I'll experiment with that method - though I think I have the  handheld transfer working now.  The copy move method would result in multiple files that comprise jts - the handheld transfer results in a single ts file.  Is that correct?

I'm still problem solving my new laptop - a Lenovo Yoga 2 13.  8 gig ram.  i5.  Windows 8.1  I'm having crashes when I stream (laptop as client).  Looks like I only get crashes when I stream video  from the desktop.

I get the "IRQ not less or equal" error message after about 20 minutes of streaming - even with Norton uninstalled and windows defender, firewall, etc. turned off.  Windows reboots.

I think the Yoga just has issues with streaming large files.  I'll take a look at the WAN driver.  Any other suggestions?

If not - really I'm ok with just loading them onto the laptop for travel.  No reason to stream except it irritates me that I can't get to to work.

:)

thane108

• World Citizen
crashes solved
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 07:07:21 am »

I swapped my troublesome Yoga 2 for a replacement at BestBuy and all my problems were resolved.

I'm not sure if it was a hardware or software issue - refreshing back to windows didn't help, so maybe hardware.
Pages: [1]   Go Up