INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to JRiver, have a few questions about licensing and features  (Read 1796 times)

nickbuol

• Recent member

I have been reading the Wiki and the FAQ and most of my questions have been answered, but I seem to have missed a few things.  Searching didn't yield what I was looking for, although it could just be that my brain is fried at this point.

Question #1) Do I need 2 licenses to run a dedicated server and a separate dedicated HTPC client?

Question #2) Sorting of common movies - For things like the "Fast and Furious" movies, I would like to have them sort by something like "Fast and Furious 1", "Fast and Furious 2", etc instead of the actual movie title so that they are grouped together and in the correct squential order, but still display the actual movie name.  Does this mean adding a custom field, but then having to copy the actual movie name over for all of my almost 500 movies on my server just to correctly sort the 30ish movies that I want to custom sort, or is there a better way?

Question #3) Playback issue.  I go in to theater mode, and everything is fine.  I play a movie and all is good.  I stop the movie and go to play another.  Sometimes that movie plays fine, othertimes I get just audio and it stays at the movie info screen.  I can "stop" the movie, but it is like JRiver theater is locked up visually.  I force exit and come back in and can play movies fine again until I switch movies.  It isn't the specific movie since I can have a movie that failed once, play the very next time, and one that played fine, fail the next.  System is freshly installed Windows 7 64bit with minimal software and a clean install of JRiver MC 20. Antivirus is Microsoft Security essentials.  No system errors come up or are logged by Windows.

Answers to these 3 questions would be a HUGE help and is greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: New to JRiver, have a few questions about licensing and features
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 10:54:09 am »

Question #1) Do I need 2 licenses to run a dedicated server and a separate dedicated HTPC client?

Not if they run the same operating system.  The Windows, Mac, and Linux licenses are all separate, but, for example, a windows license can be used on all "your" windows PCs (within reason).

Question #2) Sorting of common movies - For things like the "Fast and Furious" movies, I would like to have them sort by something like "Fast and Furious 1", "Fast and Furious 2", etc instead of the actual movie title so that they are grouped together and in the correct squential order, but still display the actual movie name.  Does this mean adding a custom field, but then having to copy the actual movie name over for all of my almost 500 movies on my server just to correctly sort the 30ish movies that I want to custom sort, or is there a better way?

Most folks use the existing "series" field to capture this idea because it's normally not populated for movies.  That would get you all of them grouped under "The Fast and the Furious" without disturbing the titles.  You could probably leverage the "episode" tag to get them numbered (which will also be unpopulated for a movie).  In terms of crafting a view that leverages that info, I might need more information about what your goals are in terms of display.

Question #3) Playback issue.  I go in to theater mode, and everything is fine.  I play a movie and all is good.  I stop the movie and go to play another.  Sometimes that movie plays fine, othertimes I get just audio and it stays at the movie info screen.  I can "stop" the movie, but it is like JRiver theater is locked up visually.  I force exit and come back in and can play movies fine again until I switch movies.  It isn't the specific movie since I can have a movie that failed once, play the very next time, and one that played fine, fail the next.  System is freshly installed Windows 7 64bit with minimal software and a clean install of JRiver MC 20. Antivirus is Microsoft Security essentials.  No system errors come up or are logged by Windows.

I recommend working through glynor's troubleshooting guide with special attention on how to configure Microsoft Security Essentials for best results: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Guide.  If that doesn't fix it, I'd suggest opening a new thread about the specific issue.  It sounds like an antivirus or possibly a video driver issue.

pahunt

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:55:50 am »

For Q2 another option is to ensure that the Year field is populated for each of these movies and then sort by name followed by year.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:18:41 am »

For Q2 another option is to ensure that the Year field is populated for each of these movies and then sort by name followed by year.

That doesn't help with movies released out of chronological order (like Star Wars), or where you want to force a specific order (again like Star Wars).

I use the following fields to deal with sorting issues:
Series - populated for TV shows and also movies that are part of a 'series'.
Episode - populated for TV shows and also movies that are part of a 'series'.
Date - release date.
Custom field (could possibly just use an expression for this instead of making it a separate field) 'Movie Series' = 'Series' if populated, otherwise 'Name'.  This is what I group/sort my movies with.
Custom field 'Episode Order' - for movies or series where I want a different than 'normal' viewing sequence.  An example of this would be the Firefly TV series.  Episode = actual episode order from when it was a TV show, and Episode Order = the 'correct' order (Fox aired them out of order).

Then my sort is usually something like:
Movie Series
Episode Order
Episode
Date

First it sorts by name/series.  Then if there is no episode order, it sorts by episode, and if that is not there either it sorts by date.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:05:49 pm »

How do I set up a custom field like mentioned above to populate with the Series information if it exists with info, otherwise fill with the Name field if the Series field is empty?

Here is the expression I am currently using:  if(isempty([Series]), [Name], Fixcase([Series],3))
It returns the 'SERIES' in all caps if it exists, otherwise the 'Name'

You don't need to create a custom field, you can just use the expression directly most anywhere that you would use a field.  I can't remember why I added the custom field, but I think it was because I needed it somewhere an expression couldn't be used in that version.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 11:10:27 pm »

How do I set up a custom field like mentioned above to populate with the Series information if it exists with info, otherwise fill with the Name field if the Series field is empty?

This isn't a direct response to that particular question, but it is related conceptually.  Read:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92425.msg636368#msg636368

Also, a little older, but read:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78198.0
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 11:23:42 pm »

Note: I split out the posts that were (mostly) related to nickbuol's Question #3 (the playback issue) over here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92756.0

It was a little messy, and removed most of nick's nice replies.  Sorry, but that stuff was mostly about the other thing, and you can see the quotes inline in our responses, so it's okay.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up