INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video pixelates & delayed start when recording?  (Read 797 times)

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
Video pixelates & delayed start when recording?
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:05:29 pm »

I posted about my video problems in MC quite awhile ago. When i select a show I've recorded it can take 1-2 minutes to begin playing. What I see is the "starting" message & turning status circle.  Once it starts playing it will often skip a second or 2, video might break up a bit, randomly.

Just tonight i started 3 different shows and each one started immediately as it used to. After finishing the last show I selected another. That one delayed playback and had video breakup during playback. I checked recordings and it appears that when the recordings started as they should no recordings were programed to record. But by the time I started that last show a show I programmed to record had begunrecording. Could it be sonething is going on while recording? If so what could it be?

I am recording TS files. If I remember correctly.....way back BEFORE these issues started i was recording JTV FILES (?) forget exact name.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video pixelates & delayed start when recording?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 11:15:57 pm »

If the client cannot access the files directly from a file share (using the same path as the Server), then Media Center must transcode and stream them to the client.  This does result in slower load times from the client, and limits some functionality of MC on the client (Right Click > Locate > On Disk (External) does not work, for example).   And the transcoding can result in playback quality problems, depending on the source file type and the configured transcoding settings.

JTV files are likely to transcode much more cleanly than TS files.  Depending on what hardware is used to do the capture, live TV TS recordings often contain a wide range of encoding errors, stream breaks, and other minor issues.  These can typically be corrected but often mess up transcoding processes.

It is best, whenever possible, to ensure the client copies of MC can access the files on a file share using the exact same path as is used to import the files on the Server.  This can be accomplished in a number of ways, depending on your setup.  If you'd like assistance configuring this, please explain where you have the files stored and how your Server accesses them.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jrdiandrea

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Video pixelates & delayed start when recording?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:43:32 am »

Thx for response Glynor.

I have looked at all areas I can think of on the client and I believe all paths are set to same folders as the MC server.

I have all music and video files on a Synology 1812+ Diskstation. The path on the network is Network > Diskstation > TV Shows (for recorded TV), Network > Diskstation > Video (for home movies).

All TV recordings are in TS. I do not believe any transcoding is set to occur though maybe it is based on the scenario you described in your response. Do JTV files perform better? The only reason I chose TS is so they can play on other devises outside of my home network.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up