INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why we upgrade (or not)  (Read 3510 times)

Chopsrr

• Recent member
Why we upgrade (or not)
« on: August 20, 2014, 12:01:35 pm »

From everything I've read about MC20, for my purposes, I don't see a need to upgrade from MC19. I've already got bit-perfect playback, DSD and play from memory dialed in perfectly as well as ripping my CD's in FLAC, and being able to download and play FLAC files from HD Tracks or whoever. I don't even do any upsampling. Both the laptop and MC19 run non-stop, 24/7 without a single glitch, so stability isn't an issue. I don't watch television or movies through it either, and it seems that most of the MC20 updates are geared more towards that.

So with that said, I guess I'm staying with MC19 for a bit longer. I'll just save my upgrade money and put it towards another album.  ;D

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Why we upgrade (or not)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 04:56:36 pm »

I don't watch television or movies through it either, and it seems that most of the MC20 updates are geared more towards that.

So with that said, I guess I'm staying with MC19 for a bit longer. I'll just save my upgrade money and put it towards another album.  ;D

Funny you should say that. To me it appears all the new MC20 features are geared to improving or adding audio features. I only watch TV and Movies.
Regardless, I'm upgrading just to continue supporting JRiver.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Why we upgrade (or not)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:29:35 pm »

Funny you should say that. To me it appears all the new MC20 features are geared to improving or adding audio features. I only watch TV and Movies.
I'm upgrading just to continue supporting the makers of bratwurst.

Chopsrr

• Recent member
Why we upgrade (or not)
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:59:45 am »

Uhh, no. That's just a waste of money if you don't need it.

That's like buying a brand new $30k Toyota Prius and immediately buying two new replacement batteries for $8k for it the same day "just" to help support Toyota.

CountryBumkin

Why we upgrade (or not)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:15:44 am »

It's not quite the same. The upgrade is less than $20 bucks. But I appreciate your point.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
Why we upgrade (or not)
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:53:17 am »

Right now, MC 20 isn't much different from MC 19. Over the development cycle, MC 20 will get new features.

You could wait to upgrade until you saw a feature that really mattered.  Your choice, get the upgrade deal now or wait and see.  In the past, I've gone both ways.  However, in the end I always bought the upgrade.

CountryBumkin

Why we upgrade (or not)
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 11:36:29 am »

A lot of the upgrades I see discussed don't "appear" to provide any benefit to me, but I don't know what all those changes/features do. So I upgrade now with anticipation that my viewing/listening experience will be improved. If nothing changes, so be it, no harm done. I'm paying for the upgrade now so I might as well install it.

JRiver: one request; can you have the full MC20 version number displayed at the top of the Standard View screen. Currently is just says "JRiver Media Center 20". Would it be very difficult for it say "JRiver Media Center 20.0.10" so I can (more easily) keep up with the version upgrades across all my machines?

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Why we upgrade (or not)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 01:51:34 pm »

Uhh, no. That's just a waste of money if you don't need it.

That's like buying a brand new $30k Toyota Prius and immediately buying two new replacement batteries for $8k for it the same day "just" to help support Toyota.

Since you have posted a second time on the topic...

I would be willing to bet that you do not go to the Toyota Forum every year and post:

" The new 2015 Toyota Prius does not have enough new features to make me trade in my 2014 Prius."

And I'm certain you did not post:

" The new 2014 Maytag JetSteam Dishwasher does not have enough new features to make me trade in my 2013 JetSteam. "

nonsub

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Why we upgrade (or not)
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 01:47:23 am »

I've been upgrading since MC16 at least if not earlier.

I'm happy to support even if I don't use new bells and whistles. I don't find JRiver to be greedy with their pricing and upgrades and I wouldn't be happy if development stopped.

WDM was a big feature for me.

)p(

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 05:58:36 am »

WDM was a big feature for me.

The wdm driver is by far the most important addition for me since I started using jrmc.
I look at the upgrade price as a kind of subscription to help keep development going and occasionally you get rewarded like the wdm driver in my case.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 07:12:01 am »

the new RMC "move all files" tool was worth much more than the upgrade price to me.  I'm just figuring out the uses for the WDM driver and it's pretty handy too!

i think we all have a wishlist of features we want the JR team personally working on (i know i do!), but it is what it is.  money is hard to come by these days, it's a personal choice for me to spend some on MC. 

i'd rather "waste" my money on MC than a prius that's for darn sure no matter how many extra batteries it came with   :P 

Pages: [1]   Go Up