INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up TV and subscriptions  (Read 2200 times)

t42

• Recent member
Setting up TV and subscriptions
« on: October 20, 2014, 12:17:33 pm »

Hi,

I am based in the UK and have a Black Gold quad freeview (DVB-T/T2) card, which I've been using successfully with WMC for about a year now. However, various aspects of WMC have been bugging me so I'm now looking at alternatives.

I recently discovered JRiver MC and, from what I've seen during the trial period, have been very impressed by a lot of the features and quality in MC.
However, from reading around the forums it seems that several people, myself included, feel that its TV/PVR features still need a little more work. I also see that this is actively being worked on, so much kudos to JRiver for listening to their customers.

My questions are:

1) I can see a list of tuners in MC setup, including 4 DVB-T tuners which I guess is the Black Gold card. I have run the channel scan for the first tuner in the list. Do I need to repeat the process for the other three?

2) I keep checking the "The tuner is capable of tuning to DVB-T2" option for the four DVB-T tuners listed, but each time I reopen MC they've become unchecked. What's up with that?

3) I'm confused about Subscriptions. I tried setting up a subscription with the following settings (record reruns but not duplicates):

But I get a "To Be Recorded" list full of duplicates (program name and description fields match):

Am I misunderstanding something here?

4) Is it possible to trial a newer version of MC in a few months time if I've already used my trial period? At the moment WMC is the 'least worst' solution for me (best WAF), but I'll be keeping an eye on MC as I'm eager to invest in it and switch over when it surpasses WMC.

Keep up the good work JRiver!

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Setting up TV and subscriptions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 02:23:26 pm »

I can answer this one, I think:

Code: [Select]
3) I'm confused about Subscriptions. I tried setting up a subscription with the following settings (record reruns but not duplicates):

But I get a "To Be Recorded" list full of duplicates (program name and description fields match):

I see duplicates in the recording list all the time, however, they don't get recorded.  I believe MC schedules them just in case the original file doesn't actually record.  Assuming it does record, then it won't record the following episodes that are the same.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:21:45 pm »

1) I can see a list of tuners in MC setup, including 4 DVB-T tuners which I guess is the Black Gold card. I have run the channel scan for the first tuner in the list. Do I need to repeat the process for the other three?

You do not need to repeatedly run channel scan for DVB-T/S/C channels.  You do need to click Configure button with each tuner and set them to "DVB-T", which I think you already did.

2) I keep checking the "The tuner is capable of tuning to DVB-T2" option for the four DVB-T tuners listed, but each time I reopen MC they've become unchecked. What's up with that?

You have discovered a bug.  I will fix it today.  This bug does not affect functionality - once you check it, it will be in effect even though it does not appear to be checked the next time you run configuration dialog.

4) Is it possible to trial a newer version of MC in a few months time if I've already used my trial period? At the moment WMC is the 'least worst' solution for me (best WAF), but I'll be keeping an eye on MC as I'm eager to invest in it and switch over when it surpasses WMC.

You will not be able to redo a trial period for MC of the same major version on the same computer.  You can try it again on a different computer.
You will get a new trial period for a new major version (version 21 for example).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 05:45:09 pm »

This fix will appear in a new build soon:

Fixed: On television tuner configuration dialog, "The tuner is capable of tuning to DVB-T2 (or S2, or C2)" checkbox was always unchecked even though the user had checked it previously.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:01:10 am »

Yaobing

I think there is another bug with setting a subscription

If for example I set a subscription on one channel for example in the uk Bbc1 HD the next thing I realise it the subscription rules default to record programme on all channels both bbc1 and BBC 1 hd ... so  I get different recordings of the same programme on different channels

When you set the subscription in theaterview surely we need to be able to select just to record on one channel only

t42

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 04:56:36 am »

I can answer this one, I think:

Code: [Select]

I see duplicates in the recording list all the time, however, they don't get recorded.  I believe MC schedules them just in case the original file doesn't actually record.  Assuming it does record, then it won't record the following episodes that are the same.

Ah OK thanks, I hadn't actually got as far as recording a full program yet, so didn't see the duplicates in the schedule disappear.

You do not need to repeatedly run channel scan for DVB-T/S/C channels.  You do need to click Configure button with each tuner and set them to "DVB-T", which I think you already did.

You have discovered a bug.  I will fix it today.  This bug does not affect functionality - once you check it, it will be in effect even though it does not appear to be checked the next time you run configuration dialog.

You will not be able to redo a trial period for MC of the same major version on the same computer.  You can try it again on a different computer.
You will get a new trial period for a new major version (version 21 for example).

Thanks for the info. Good to know I wasn't just imagining the DVB-T2 checkbox changing itself!
Unfortunately I can't try it on a different computer as I only have one tuner card that is permanently installed and in use in my HTPC.

Possibly not something you're prepared to answer here, but have JRiver made a commitment to improve PVR functionality to make it competitive with WMC etc.? It seems like the next logical step from the comments on this users forum, but the JRiver team might have a different roadmap in mind.
If that is going to be the next significant step in functionality, is that likely to come in a major version or will it continue to be added to piecemeal as I've seen over the last few minor updates? In essence, should I pay my money now and keep checking the minor updates or wait it out until the next major release...

This fix will appear in a new build soon:

Fixed: On television tuner configuration dialog, "The tuner is capable of tuning to DVB-T2 (or S2, or C2)" checkbox was always unchecked even though the user had checked it previously.

Thanks, it's always good to see fast responses to bug reports.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 01:22:29 pm »

Yaobing

I think there is another bug with setting a subscription

If for example I set a subscription on one channel for example in the uk Bbc1 HD the next thing I realise it the subscription rules default to record programme on all channels both bbc1 and BBC 1 hd ... so  I get different recordings of the same programme on different channels

When you set the subscription in theaterview surely we need to be able to select just to record on one channel only

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 02:07:25 pm »

You are right.  I will take a look.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 01:09:05 am »

Did you find anything Yaobing ?  For now I am manually editing my subscriptions the standard view and selecting the channel it should be recording

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 07:13:07 am »

MC20.0.30

7. Changed: When setting up subscriprion to a television show in Theater View, MC will ask whether to record the show on selected channel only or on all channels (if the global option is to allow setting details in Theater View).

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 12:55:53 pm »

excellent thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up